What's new

Original vs new Aluball (with stainless steel ball inside): A science experiment

doctorfreeze

Kava Curious
A while back I did an experiment comparing the Aluball with the CTAHR method. The Aluball performed well, especially considering it takes only 1-2 minutes to prepare compared to multiple washes with a blender & strainer.

I sent my results to Kavafied, and they kindly sent me several Aluballs to play with—including one of the “new” Aluballs with a stainless steel ball inside. The ball I received was heavy and larger than a normal-sized marble.

Methods:
For this experiment, I used 5 grams of Cactus Kava’s Loa Lawena in each ball. I filled two wide-mouth Mason jars with 1 cup of water in each wash and shook the jars at the same time, one in each hand. This ensured that I was shaking both batches identically.
DSC_0289.JPG
I did a total of 3 washes with each type of Aluball. The “new” Aluball (green) with the stainless steel ball was labeled “ball”. The original Aluball (pink) was simply labeled with the wash number.

Results:
The results were nearly identical, although I think the “new” Aluball gave a slightly darker kava. This photo shows the 3 washes after they were just stirred.
DSC_0302.JPG

The next photo shows the same washes after letting them sit for about 30 minutes.
DSC_0301.JPG

A few more photos showing washes #1 in the middle.
DSC_0309.JPG

DSC_0300.JPG

Conclusions:

Certainly adding a stainless steel ball inside the Aluball seems like a great idea. I can’t think of why *not* to try it, and it seems like it yields a slightly darker (and thus stronger) kava, although the results aren’t strikingly different.

If you have a stainless steel ball on hand, give it a try. Let me know what you think!
#AluBallin

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
A while back I did an experiment comparing the Aluball with the CTAHR method. The Aluball performed well, especially considering it takes only 1-2 minutes to prepare compared to multiple washes with a blender & strainer.

I sent my results to Kavafied, and they kindly sent me several Aluballs to play with—including one of the “new” Aluballs with a stainless steel ball inside. The ball I received was heavy and larger than a normal-sized marble.

Methods:
For this experiment, I used 5 grams of Cactus Kava’s Loa Lawena in each ball. I filled two wide-mouth Mason jars with 1 cup of water in each wash and shook the jars at the same time, one in each hand. This ensured that I was shaking both batches identically.
View attachment 9612 I did a total of 3 washes with each type of Aluball. The “new” Aluball (green) with the stainless steel ball was labeled “ball”. The original Aluball (pink) was simply labeled with the wash number.

Results:
The results were nearly identical, although I think the “new” Aluball gave a slightly darker kava. This photo shows the 3 washes after they were just stirred.
View attachment 9610
The next photo shows the same washes after letting them sit for about 30 minutes. View attachment 9611
View attachment 9613
View attachment 9614

Conclusions:

Certainly adding a stainless steel ball inside the Aluball seems like a great idea. I can’t think of why *not* to try it, and it seems like it yields a slightly darker (and thus stronger) kava, although the results aren’t strikingly different.

If you have a stainless steel ball on hand, give it a try. Let me know what you think!
#AluBallin
the idea is a good one, but anything inside that luBall has the risk of causing damage that will shorten the life of the AluBall. Alas. I have used small round ice cubes, glass marbles, etc.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Methods:
View attachment 9612 I did a total of 3 washes with each type of Aluball. The “new” Aluball (green) with the stainless steel ball was labeled “ball”. The original Aluball (pink) was simply labeled with the wash number.

Results:
View attachment 9610
The next photo shows the same washes after letting them sit for about 30 minutes. View attachment 9611
View attachment 9613
View attachment 9614

Conclusions:

#AluBallin
Nice! I like the experimentation. I might have timed or counted number of shakes and used the same hand, considering I am not sure my left hand would shake as hard as my dominant right hand -but close enough. Those are some might fine looking kava glasses you got working as well!
I tried a small glass marble on a few occasions to see if it did anything. I didn't have an appropriately sized steel ball. Much like your experiment I noticed no discernible difference. I have however noticed a small difference if I take the second or third wash remove the ball and repack (or place a new one in) and use the second or third wash as the water for the new first wash.
p.s. note if one is going to stick something in the aluball make sure to wash it and possibly sterilize it....especially if it is a steel ball. They usually have a layer of machine oil on them. Best to wipe down with something like IPA and run wash in dish soap or hot water....maybe multiple times.