What's new

Overconsumption Semi-Newbie

mg333

Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while, as I find a lot of my questions answered here. I just have some specific questions. I know they have been asked before, however, I just need some confirmation/reassurance.

I started drinking kava about 3 months ago. Now, I am a recovering alcoholic (18months sober), and I tend to overdo pretty much anything. I was excited to find kava as a replacement for social situations. However, I've also been experiencing high anxiety as of late, so I began drinking it more often.
Currently I have been drinking it every day. I use the aluball with two balls and about 2 tablespoons each. I will make a first and second wash about 3x, starting in the afternoon. Then I'll sip for about 6-8 hours.
I had a pretty late session last night while spending time with my hubby. This morning I woke up feeling a bit off (maybe a little krunked). So, my alcoholic mind said, "hey, let's try hair of the dog". So, I had some morning kava, now some afternoon kava. Part of me feels that guilt due to my alcoholism. Although I do feel pretty decent.
My questions are...
1. Am I drinking too much? About a pound a week.
2. Has anyone had a morning kava after a heavy night? What was your experience?
3. How can I tell how much I'm drinking if I'm doing a second wash? So, I'm probably at 8-12 tbsp a day of traditional, but with second washes.
4. Although it's been reiterated over and over, my hypochondriac mind tends to worry about the health impacts. Anyone drink as much as me that can enlighten me a little?
5. Lastly, although it works wonders on my anxiety, I'm definitely not as motivated as before. Anyone found anything to counteract this issue?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I truly appreciate your time.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while, as I find a lot of my questions answered here. I just have some specific questions. I know they have been asked before, however, I just need some confirmation/reassurance.

I started drinking kava about 3 months ago. Now, I am a recovering alcoholic (18months sober), and I tend to overdo pretty much anything. I was excited to find kava as a replacement for social situations. However, I've also been experiencing high anxiety as of late, so I began drinking it more often.
Currently I have been drinking it every day. I use the aluball with two balls and about 2 tablespoons each. I will make a first and second wash about 3x, starting in the afternoon. Then I'll sip for about 6-8 hours.
I had a pretty late session last night while spending time with my hubby. This morning I woke up feeling a bit off (maybe a little krunked). So, my alcoholic mind said, "hey, let's try hair of the dog". So, I had some morning kava, now some afternoon kava. Part of me feels that guilt due to my alcoholism. Although I do feel pretty decent.
My questions are...
1. Am I drinking too much? About a pound a week.
2. Has anyone had a morning kava after a heavy night? What was your experience?
3. How can I tell how much I'm drinking if I'm doing a second wash? So, I'm probably at 8-12 tbsp a day of traditional, but with second washes.
4. Although it's been reiterated over and over, my hypochondriac mind tends to worry about the health impacts. Anyone drink as much as me that can enlighten me a little?
5. Lastly, although it works wonders on my anxiety, I'm definitely not as motivated as before. Anyone found anything to counteract this issue?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I truly appreciate your time.
The aluball is awesome, no doubt about it, however if you're looking to get more of your money's worth I highly highly suggest going down the traditional prep route with a strainer bag. You'll find that 1lb per week figure cut drastically if you go to traditional prep.

To answer your questions:

1.) For traditional prep 500g would be on the high side, but since you're using it in an aluball this would coincide to a much smaller amount when comparing the two.

2.) It brings back the wobbles hard-core. Drinking kava the morning after a kava night will get you back to kava-land really quick and can even push you too far if you overdo it.

3.) I just use my original amount of powder as my total amount, no matter how many washes that amount nets you. 3 washes out of 40 grams, that's 40 grams of kava worth.

4.) Health impacts are as follows at high consumption:
  1. Dry Skin
  2. Elevated Cholesterol levels
  3. Lethargy
  4. Low BMI
  5. (Rarer) Elevated GGT indication on liver function tests (Not an indication of damage)
5.) Unfortunately kavalactones have an innate sedative nature to them, so the tired feeling is sorta just something that comes along with it. I've learned to embrace it and enjoy it. The slowness in the morning really helps me tune out the distractions, but of course this is a sample size of one, and I've just forced it to fit in my life ;)

mg333

The aluball is awesome, no doubt about it, however if you're looking to get more of your money's worth I highly highly suggest going down the traditional prep route with a strainer bag. You'll find that 1lb per week figure cut drastically if you go to traditional prep.

To answer your questions:

1.) For traditional prep 500g would be on the high side, but since you're using it in an aluball this would coincide to a much smaller amount when comparing the two.

2.) It brings back the wobbles hard-core. Drinking kava the morning after a kava night will get you back to kava-land really quick and can even push you too far if you overdo it.

3.) I just use my original amount of powder as my total amount, no matter how many washes that amount nets you. 3 washes out of 40 grams, that's 40 grams of kava worth.

4.) Health impacts are as follows at high consumption:
  1. Dry Skin
  2. Elevated Cholesterol levels
  3. Lethargy
  4. Low BMI
  5. (Rarer) Elevated GGT indication on liver function tests (Not an indication of damage)
5.) Unfortunately kavalactones have an innate sedative nature to them, so the tired feeling is sorta just something that comes along with it. I've learned to embrace it and enjoy it. The slowness in the morning really helps me tune out the distractions, but of course this is a sample size of one, and I've just forced it to fit in my life ;)
Thank you for your response. I feel a little better in regards to my usage. I can definitely see that as a possibility for the morning kava. However, I did instincually keep it slow.
So, if I were to use the traditional prep, it would result in stronger grog? Am I losing a lot of the kavalactones by using the aluball? The aluball is just much more convenient for me and I've never tried traditional prep. What is the best way to do traditional prep? For me, I suppose it would be best to make a large batch for the day. I have 5 kiddos and the thought having to do that multiple times a day seems like it would be too much for me.

I have been experiencing the itchy dry skin. Nothing like the dermo pictures, but unpleasant nonetheless.

I like how you incorporated the relaxed feeling into your life. In all honesty, I probably need it. I'm always on my feet and always on the go. Never really taking time to relax. Maybe that's why it's concerning to me. I'm not comfortable with just sitting and relaxing. I feel like I should always be doing something, otherwise I'm failing lol ‍♀

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you for your response. I feel a little better in regards to my usage. I can definitely see that as a possibility for the morning kava. However, I did instincually keep it slow.
So, if I were to use the traditional prep, it would result in stronger grog? Am I losing a lot of the kavalactones by using the aluball? The aluball is just much more convenient for me and I've never tried traditional prep. What is the best way to do traditional prep? For me, I suppose it would be best to make a large batch for the day. I have 5 kiddos and the thought having to do that multiple times a day seems like it would be too much for me.

I have been experiencing the itchy dry skin. Nothing like the dermo pictures, but unpleasant nonetheless.

I like how you incorporated the relaxed feeling into your life. In all honesty, I probably need it. I'm always on my feet and always on the go. Never really taking time to relax. Maybe that's why it's concerning to me. I'm not comfortable with just sitting and relaxing. I feel like I should always be doing something, otherwise I'm failing lol ‍♀
5 Kids, indeed you have your work cut out for you :)

The aluball is convenient and easy to use, but doesn't get everything out of your kava powder that you could get with traditional prep. I say this with massive respect for the aluball, because it has brought people to kava who otherwise may never have gotten started with with it out of fear of preparation complexity.

I would say just experiment with it. Use your aluball, but every now and then give the strainer bag a shot when things are sane and you have a minute. I think you would really see the difference and eventually swap over.

So, if I were to use the traditional prep, it would result in stronger grog?
Yes. Indeed it does. The same amount of powder would give you a stronger effect via traditional prep.

What is the best way to do traditional prep?
(Note: this is my prep suggestion, and may or may not be suited to your intake

Preparation Suggestion
Items Needed:
30-40g Medium Grind Kava
Strainer bag
Bowl
800-1000ml (24-32oz) of water
Nitrile Gloves (optional)
  1. Place your powder in the strainer bag, and tie off the end.
  2. Microwave your water for 2 minutes.
    1. We’re looking for around 100°F water.
  3. Put your warm water into the bowl and dip your strainer bag with the kava into it.
    1. I use the nitrile gloves for this stage, as direct contact with kava over time seems to really dry my hands out.
  4. Knead the kava bag in the water and squeeze it every now and then. Do this for 5-7 minutes. You’ll see the kava diffuse into the water, turning it a milky tan color.
  5. Wring out your strainer bag into the bowl to get the last bits of goodness out of the root ball.
  6. You can use half the amount of water again for a 2nd kneading phase if you want to get all your money’s worth out of the root.
  7. Refrigerate your kava if you find the temperature unpleasant (it’s what I do)
    1. I personally leave my kava in the fridge for 3 hours.
    2. The colder the brew, the less you’ll taste.
  8. Drink up!
    1. Divide out into 5 oz portions and drink until you find your sweet spot. Don’t feel like you can’t drink it all, in fact it’s suggested.

For me, I suppose it would be best to make a large batch for the day.
You can certainly do that and keep the bowl in the fridge.

Kava drinking is more a lifestyle choice than it is a "supplement" to cure or treat a certain ailment. I am a little tired most days, but after almost two decades it's business as usual :)

mg333

You rock. Thank you for taking the time to answer 101 questions ha.
Yes, I am busy, plus I homeschool them! I'm just used to cleaning and caring for them 24/7. So, when I stop, I feel like something is wrong. I love a clean home. However, with kava, I've noticed that I'm not obsessing over it so much and I'm able to be more present with my kiddos. One, actually thought my favorite thing to do was laundry. It's funny, but also made me sad.
I'm definitely going to try the traditional prep. Thank you.
I have a quick follow up question. If I were to make a big batch based off my consumption, what measurements should I use? I don't have a scale, so I would go by tablespoons or cups... Also, do you know how many grams would equate to my 8-12 tablespoons approximately?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You rock. Thank you for taking the time to answer 101 questions ha.
Yes, I am busy, plus I homeschool them! I'm just used to cleaning and caring for them 24/7. So, when I stop, I feel like something is wrong. I love a clean home. However, with kava, I've noticed that I'm not obsessing over it so much and I'm able to be more present with my kiddos. One, actually thought my favorite thing to do was laundry. It's funny, but also made me sad.
I'm definitely going to try the traditional prep. Thank you.
I have a quick follow up question. If I were to make a big batch based off my consumption, what measurements should I use? I don't have a scale, so I would go by tablespoons or cups... Also, do you know how many grams would equate to my 8-12 tablespoons approximately?
Oh you're most welcome. We all started at the beginning and others took time to answer our questions as well ;)

If you're going through a pound a week you're hitting somewhere around 65-70 grams per day. This is equal to somewhere around 6-8 non-heaping tablespoons of kava, but it's a rough estimate as different kavas have different densities and water concentrations. If you use traditional prep, you absolutely will not need this much, and will likely find the same effect at somewhere around 50g per day or less.

Personally what I would I would do is use the exact same amount you usually use, try traditional prep, and drink it in small portions to see if that's the concentration you like, then back down from there if it's too strong for you. That way you can work your way back down and find good average. Of course this all takes time and attempts, so take it easy and if you find a spare second, play around with it and see what you come up with.

Oh, and you can rewash traditional prep many times and get a rather surprising amount of kava in the successive washes.

Traditional gives you the ability to add or subtract pressure, and when you're going on 2nd and 3rd washes the more work you put in, the more kava you get out.

Also, I suggest hot water up there, and that's because I copied that directly from my "what to do if kava isn't working for you" post. Don't feel like you need to use hot water, as it will make the kava quite bitter. Yes it will be stupid strong, but the taste takes on a different unholy character, lol

mg333

Okay. That makes sense to use my normal amount and take it slow. I think I use too much water in the aluball. What is the correct ratio? Aside from what you said above? How would I calculate it?

Also, side question...what do you like to do when drinking kava? Honestly, I've been finding myself stuck on tiktock while drinking kava (I'm normally hardly ever on social media), and it's really starting to annoy me haha. But I do want to be able to enjoy it in it's full capacity.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Okay. That makes sense to use my normal amount and take it slow. I think I use too much water in the aluball. What is the correct ratio? Aside from what you said above? How would I calculate it?

Also, side question...what do you like to do when drinking kava? Honestly, I've been finding myself stuck on tiktock while drinking kava (I'm normally hardly ever on social media), and it's really starting to annoy me haha. But I do want to be able to enjoy it in it's full capacity.
Ratio is a fun one. This one can range all across the board depending on who you ask. Basically we think there is an upper limit of how many kava particles can be kept in suspension given a fluid amount of water, so there is a MAX thickness. My ratio is 1:10 kava to water, and I sorta feel like that's close to the max, but that is not a suggestion and I don't suggest others drink it at that concentration unless you're looking for sleep...and fast, lol.

@_byron what do you suggest for a ratio here? <<This guy is a super seasoned kava drinker right here and is also serious about his ratios

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
Newbie to Kava here as well but have already fallen down the rabbit hole. I use the blender method as we have a high powered blender (Vitamix) and I’m “lazy”. I will make about 2.2L of grog with 100mg of Kava using three washes (1150ml the first time, 750ml the second and third). Blend each wash for 1 minute then strain it. I tend to aim for the heavy kavas as I like to drink in the evening and heady kavas will keep me awake. If I know I’m going to a party I’ll 50/50 mix a heady and heavy batch and drink that instead of alcohol.

During my sessions I’m usually watching TV or playing computer games.

mg333

Newbie to Kava here as well but have already fallen down the rabbit hole. I use the blender method as we have a high powered blender (Vitamix) and I’m “lazy”. I will make about 2.2L of grog with 100mg of Kava using three washes (1150ml the first time, 750ml the second and third). Blend each wash for 1 minute then strain it. I tend to aim for the heavy kavas as I like to drink in the evening and heady kavas will keep me awake. If I know I’m going to a party I’ll 50/50 mix a heady and heavy batch and drink that instead of alcohol.

During my sessions I’m usually watching TV or playing computer games.
Thank you for the reply. I could try that. I have a ninja. Do you think that will work well enough?
I also notice the thing about heady vs heavy. I tend to prefer the heady ones, as I'm naturally low energy. However, it does keep me much later than is normal for me. I like the more euphoric strains. Do the heavy ones have the euphoria too, or is it just more of a body relaxation?

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
I’ve seen some folks use a ninja as well. I think one of the trade offs folks make is clean up and ceremony. A lot of folks like the ritual of traditional prep to focus themselves for the lava experience from what I’ve read.

I’m willing to bet some balanced kavas may have a bit of both but others here will probably have far more experience with different strains.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Feeling less motivated can protect against burnout. However, it is a two edged sword indeed if you feel less notivated. Smaller dose of non-heavy kava feels pretty OK and is an alternative or complementary with late morning coffee but do not overdo the coffee because kava potentiates coffee's duration.

Gmorl69

HI,
I’m an EX low level alcoholic and stopped drinking 5 years ago.
My method of prep is to use a blender that has a slow speed, it goes for five minutes then turns off so I use 50g of grind kava in 1.3 litres and do 4 spins (20mins in blender)
I use 1.3 litres as when it’s strained in 75 micron bag (so you get just the right amount of sediment which if too much makes you nauseous ): )
I use 1.3K of 115F water once strained that makes 1.25L kava juice or 5 x 250 ml glasses
I mix it with a dash of oat milk for creamy flavour. The oat milk chills it down so I can get started while rest is cooling down in fridge.
I stick to only 50g because I have addiction issues so keep control of amount. Kava seems to get stronger after couple of weeks of daily use due to the reverse tollerance.
As kava doesn’t affect the frontal cortex where sensible judgements and decisions are made I can stay in control while drinking it and decide when I’m happy unlike alcohol where first drink leads to not being able to stop until your drunk out you mind and unable to drink anymore plus all the stupid things you do in a drinking episode.
Hope this helps anyone out there.