What's new

Powdered Kava Review Papa Kea Kava

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
A very pleasant tasting kava that sets the mood for a busy day or quiet evening. It is less on the heady side, leaning more towards muscle relaxation. Stress melts away without feeling too sedated. As a result, concentration and focus were improved which makes this kava an ideal daytime variety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi KavaLot, I am glad you like this kava, it is one of my favorites, I have 13 different Hawaiian varieties and I have 13 favorite Hawaiian kava's. (y);)
Aloha

Chris​

D

Deleted User01

Nice review KavaLot. Next time you end up with sore muscles, chug some PapaKea and get back to me. My next order won't get here till Monday and I'm reserving it for the curing of my weekend muscle aches and pains.

Chris, PapaKea has a chemotype that begins with 462 and it has strong body effects. PapaEEPP and Mo'i are very heady and they start with 463. Can we make assumptions about the effects based on the first 3 digits of the chemotype or is that stretch? I'm a numbers guy and I love that you post the chemotypes and percent of Kavalactones.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's pretty safe to make assumptions off the first three numbers, but it's believed that the full effect of a kava is determined by the relation and percentage of all the kavalactones within it. The heavier body effects you notice in this one are probably from the 'double-bonded' lactone DHK (2) being in the first three, coupled with the high overall kavalactone content of Papa Kea. The others you mentioned with 463 have no prevalent double bonds and that gives the lighter, cleaner headier effect. I've had Mo'i in the past and it was definitely one of the lightest, easiest kavas.
If you check out the chemotype for a popular body-melter, mind-sedater; Boroguru 245613...you can see two double-bonded lactones within the first three. DHK(2) & DHM(5). So you can look at that and know immediately that you've got a nice heavy one.
You might notice something considered 'heady' like Fu'u happens to have a double-bonded in it's 1st three (465) or that Borogu(246) has a similar 1st three to Papa Kea, except with the double-bonded DHK(2) in the 1st position. You might expect that to mean that it should then be a bit heavier than the Papa Kea, but I think that is where the overall kavalactone percentages of the batch come into play. Because I doubt Borogu or any other widely available kava are packing that 20%+ punch of kavalactones that Chris' Papakea does. (except perhaps koniak, isa) Every kava would be more awesome if they were always 15-20%+ :hungry: :D

here are the major kavalactones for any future lurkers:
1 = demethoxy-yangonin
2 = dihydrokavain
3 = yangonin
4 = kavain
5 = dihydromethysticin
6 = methysticin

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Thanks Shakas. Maybe we should get take up a collection and send you to Hawaii to take courses in Kavatology. You know your stuff. You can pitch tent on Chris's land right next to the ocean. I do have the chemotypes on my spreadsheet but I needed a good explanation of how they work. I need to give it to Headhodge so we can pass it around and let people add their notes. I totally agree with you on the awesomeness of 15-20%. Maybe Chris can design a Kava at 20+ percent that is customized for the members here. A Private Label Kava so to speak.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It's pretty safe to make assumptions off the first three numbers, but it's believed that the full effect of a kava is determined by the relation and percentage of all the kavalactones within it. The heavier body effects you notice in this one are probably from the 'double-bonded' lactone DHK (2) being in the first three, coupled with the high overall kavalactone content of Papa Kea. The others you mentioned with 463 have no prevalent double bonds and that gives the lighter, cleaner headier effect. I've had Mo'i in the past and it was definitely one of the lightest, easiest kavas.
If you check out the chemotype for a popular body-melter, mind-sedater; Boroguru 245613...you can see two double-bonded lactones within the first three. DHK(2) & DHM(5). So you can look at that and know immediately that you've got a nice heavy one.
You might notice something considered 'heady' like Fu'u happens to have a double-bonded in it's 1st three (465) or that Borogu(246) has a similar 1st three to Papa Kea, except with the double-bonded DHK(2) in the 1st position. You might expect that to mean that it should then be a bit heavier than the Papa Kea, but I think that is where the overall kavalactone percentages of the batch come into play. Because I doubt Borogu or any other widely available kava are packing that 20%+ punch of kavalactones that Chris' Papakea does. (except perhaps koniak, isa) Every kava would be more awesome if they were always 15-20%+ :hungry: :D

here are the major kavalactones for any future lurkers:
1 = demethoxy-yangonin
2 = dihydrokavain
3 = yangonin
4 = kavain
5 = dihydromethysticin
6 = methysticin
Shakas, you took the words right out of my mouth, I could not have said it any better. (y)
Aloha.

Chris