What's new

KAVA PRESS ALERT Pentecost to Face Kava Shortage

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
http://indigenouswatch.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/pentecost-to-face-kava-shortage/

From Indigenous Watch. This guy needs to get strung up (metaphorically, of course) for a couple reasons. He is totally undercutting VCMB prices and screwing the farmers, and at the price per kilo he is paying, I don't doubt someone is selling him Tudei, unless he really knows what he is looking at. He is white, and apparently the kava is going to America. It is a small community... Anyone know this scoundrel? Anyone know someone currently in Pentecost?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Interesting. Maybe I don't fully understand though. Shouldn't they just not sell all their kava to the whiteman and plant a larger kava cycle.
I understand the allure for poor islanders to make quick money, it just seems kinda weird to simultaneously be selling all your kava and also complaining that you don't have any left.
Is the real issue that the guy is avoiding government regulated purchase & export kava laws, by paying in cash ?

Last edited:

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I second what Shakas wrote. Why would they sell it to this guy if the price he was paying was below market?

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. Shouldn't they just not sell all their kava to the whiteman and plant a larger kava cycle.
I understand the allure for poor islanders to make quick money, it just seems kinda weird to simultaneously be selling all your kava and complaining that you don't have any left.
Yeah thats true,
Ive Heard Chris from GHK in Hawaii, saying that its possible to grow Kava with the same levels of Kavalactones if not more, in a short space of time.
It all depends on how you grow it.

Maybe they need to take a look into doing this, instead of waiting years for one crop. They should employ different methods and start studying Kava properly, just like westerners have done with MJ, and with MJ they can replicate near enough the exact same Constituents and CBD levels each time, from the seedlings. If that could be done with Kava, e.g Replicate the same Kavalactone levels each time.

But saying that, i dont know how Kava grows, as its not even possible for me, as i live in the U.K.
But im sure Chris from GHK, and his people are looking into these things already ? I guess Vanuata needs to aswell.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I asked my friend in Vanuatu about this and he said this----
"This is written by idiots that own kava bars and "would be exporters" in
Port Vila. For decades they have been ripping the farmers off on Pentecost
and Malekula Islands. They pay low prices, if in deed they pay the farmers
at all."
"They have planted the seeds and
now reaping the harvest of abusing the farmers who live in isolated regions
of Vanuatu."
"The reason they are saying that there is a shortage of kava in the islands
is because they are not prepared to pay a fair price and the farmers now
have alternatives."
"The stories on that web site about kava are an effort to rid themselves of
competition so they can go back to ripping off the farmers."

I would not worry about this as my supplier said he has more than enough kava coming in because he pays the highest price and takes care of the farmers. The cheapskates that take advantage of the farmers do not like him for this because all the farmers want to sell to him and not to others that can take up to 3 weeks to pay, if at all.
There is also a kava cycle there, when the price goes down the farmers will plant less kava and when it goes up they plant more, so you will see a jump or a decrease in the harvestable kava depending on where in the cycle you are. The cycle is 3-5 years because of the time it takes to plant and harvest the kava, this is one reason that my supplier pays the highest price and treats the farmers good, that way he has his farmers that will always plant kava for him.
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited: