What's new

People who have experienced an allergic reaction to kava: how have you dealt with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I am not sure it's a good idea to take antihistamines while you try to desensitize.
This wasn't my idea. I'd gotten if from two other people who'd had the same experience. One person had a fairly comprehensive thread on it (I'll see if I can find it).

Perhaps I'd have gotten over it faster without the antihistamines, but then again I don't know I could have roughed it out without some relief. The Benadryl didn't get rid of the rash, it just lessened it.

I don't think this is a food allergy.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Here is my original thread on the topic with reference threads.

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/mitigating-the-kava-rash.9323/
Yes, it's a very interesting post. I find this whole "allergy" quite interesting as apparently some of the Ni-Vanuatu have developed a herbal mixture that eliminates/mitigates it. So while quite rare, it's not a new thing (e.g. due to genetic differences). It just remains poorly understood, I suppose. I wonder to what extent some of the negative reaction reports from Europe had something to do with this mechanism.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, it's a very interesting post. I find this whole "allergy" quite interesting as apparently some of the Ni-Vanuatu have developed a herbal mixture that eliminates/mitigates it. So while quite rare, it's not a new thing (e.g. due to genetic differences). It just remains poorly understood, I suppose. I wonder to what extent some of the negative reaction reports from Europe had something to do with this mechanism.
Given the natural of Polynesian culture, a man would probably be considered a "light weight" by reporting issues with drinking kava, so they probably just don't report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.