What's new

Problems with fine grind

Nyxz

hello all,
Im fairly new to kava and recently have gotten some KWK Pouni Ono. The grind is very fine and I have come to discover it just seems to go right through my musilin bag and pantyhose when I try to strain, leaving me with unpleasant mud and stomach upset. It doesnt seem to be very potent like this either, given the root isnt really being properly agitated. Can any kava veterans out there advise a good way to work with this fine grind? Ive heard about a blender method before and Im not sure if that is worth pursuing at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Just go to your local Sherwin Williams or paint Store and get a paint strainer ... I find they work better than anything else. Some particles get through, but I've used the same kind for months and every time I use a Muslin bag or anything else it rips on me or just sucks lol

Nyxz

Ive done that and they seem to be even worse than the musilin bag or panty hose. The Pouni Ono seeps out as soon as I put it in the bowl almost. Im not opposed to sediment per se, my problem is I dont think the kavalactones are being extracted in this situation so its a waste of root and I dont get to feel the effects much :(

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Thats odd. Okay yeah heres whatcha do.
Put the kava in blender with water and then gently poor the kava into the panty hose over a bowl. And just let it all catch don't touch it at all and carefully empty it and then do that a few times. As long as your not putting the panty hose in the water all the particles should catch and let the water only through with the blender having done the work... That or get a really fine micron sized bag

Nyxz

I did it for about 5 minutes and the blender got quite hot. I strained it through the musilin bag two times, being sure to squeeze very lightly as only to get the liquid moving through. Looks like grog but has no sediment. Just downed now, seeing how it goes. Thanks!

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
hello all,
Im fairly new to kava and recently have gotten some KWK Pouni Ono. The grind is very fine and I have come to discover it just seems to go right through my musilin bag and pantyhose when I try to strain, leaving me with unpleasant mud and stomach upset. It doesnt seem to be very potent like this either, given the root isnt really being properly agitated. Can any kava veterans out there advise a good way to work with this fine grind? Ive heard about a blender method before and Im not sure if that is worth pursuing at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi there!

When you drink kava, you're really drinking fine particulates of the root itself rather than an extraction, since kava isn't water soluble. You *want* the powder to come through your strainer. The goal is to sift out the larger wood chips, and to get those fine particles in the water.

This is why you'll notice in videos of people with traditional grog, they continually mix the big batches of kava because the fine powder settles to the bottom. You want to drink it :)

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't blend for that long, maybe a minute or two at the most and it works fine. I use knee highs to strain. I have heard of people using two, doubling up the straining but as CK says you don't want to filter it too much, some sediment is ok.