What's new

Kava Research Prolonging Kava's effects

Johnny Frye

It's all about supply and command
I've noticed that for the first hour or so after drinking a few shells, the effects of Kava are quite pronounced, but if I want to snack (and I literally always do after fasting for 4 hours) it cuts the intensity in half or kills it completely. I have noticed that fatty substances like olive oil, butter and egg yolk seem to affect the Kava a lot less, perhaps due to the nature of kavalactones. After a few eggs over easy a lot of the relaxing headiness of my boronguru is still around.

Higher doses (8-10 tbsp vs 2-4) also last a LOT longer for me than the recommended 2-4 tbsp, sometimes even after I eat. And I've heard that the kava stress candies are good for keeping things going, got a case in the mail so I can try it.

What other ways have you guys come up with to prolong Kavas effects and deal with that post-fast hunger without killing your vibe? :pompus:

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
My goodness, you guys must have stomaches of iron. Egg yolks sound terrible. Here I am over here adding ginger powder to my shells. That is impressive. I watch my weight so I would rather fast, caveman diet style. I know that when I booze, I have to drink. Kava destroys my appetite.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Fatty and spicy foods after a session can actually intensify the effect.
Duration of effects depends a lot on the variety: something like Mo'i will have short lasting effects. You can combat this by spacing out your shells. Mahakea will have longer laster effects.
And like you discovered: larger doses = longer effects.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
My goodness, you guys must have stomaches of iron. Egg yolks sound terrible. Here I am over here adding ginger powder to my shells. That is impressive. I watch my weight so I would rather fast, caveman diet style. I know that when I booze, I have to drink. Kava destroys my appetite.
You add ginger powder? Why is this?

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Ginger makes the naseau less strong, I use reeds extra ginger as an after drink, and that delivers more ginger. Tried the powder thing and it was much less strong.

But what I really wanted to say is that when you are done try Pizza. You can get an extra 10 minutes of fun just from eating pizza. :)

I eat 6 walnuts after each round and that goes really well. A few chocolate covered almonds helps with the taste. Nuts are great for this in general.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I like to drink ginger ale while I'm working on kava, but I just really like it.

I've been thinking of getting some candied ginger, those are spicy and fun. I used to keep some on my desk at work ;)

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
I've noticed that for the first hour or so after drinking a few shells, the effects of Kava are quite pronounced, but if I want to snack (and I literally always do after fasting for 4 hours) it cuts the intensity in half or kills it completely. I have noticed that fatty substances like olive oil, butter and egg yolk seem to affect the Kava a lot less, perhaps due to the nature of kavalactones. After a few eggs over easy a lot of the relaxing headiness of my boronguru is still around.

Higher doses (8-10 tbsp vs 2-4) also last a LOT longer for me than the recommended 2-4 tbsp, sometimes even after I eat. And I've heard that the kava stress candies are good for keeping things going, got a case in the mail so I can try it.

What other ways have you guys come up with to prolong Kavas effects and deal with that post-fast hunger without killing your vibe? :pompus:
It doesnt take rocket appliances to know kava makes your stomach growl.

Johnny Frye

Hahaha I actually cook the egg yolks a bit and eat them with bell peppers and green onions, it's quite good. But kava has the opposite effect for me - it amplifies my appetite, so I've got to eat until I'm full.

Just got home from work and made a few shells, eggs over easy with parmesan cheese, peppers and olive oil seemed to work GREAT. Very little dulling of the effects of Kalm's boronguru, if any. Possibly because of the high fat/low carb content?

Next time I'll try pizza! If budget allows...

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Omg I love pizza. I actually prefer frozen pizza, with added cheese, onions, ect.

Kava makes me hungry too, so far I've found that it doesn't impact the effect too much if I wait until it kicks in.

Johnny Frye

This is going to sound like a paradox but lately i have been enjoying a (small) hot cup of coffee after two shells. Believe it or not it actually amplifies the effects for me plus it kills my appetite for about 2 hours, prolonging the full effects of kava. I would of never believed it until i tried it.
I actually experienced this just yesterday! It seemed to amplify the heady side of the kava. Totally gonna try that with Moi instant tomorrow.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I keep seeing these as being contradictory... but maybe just the order needs to be right ?... cuz I love coffee after kava lOl..... it actually makes the coffee feel like the first of the day lol... like I had 2 coffees this morning... first one obviously felt AMAZONG but second just blah.... had kava laddey la la a few hours later had another cupojoe... and bam felt like the first .. great euphoria!!. But I do find that coffee can kill a good euphoria sometimes too

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
I agree. Kap'm, The way your diet is with kava, is very similair to mine without kava. I can go all day without eating and not be hungry, but as soon as i eat something small such as a snack, candy etc. I get super hungry. It kickstarts my digestion/appetite. i seem to eat a LOT, just not very often. And im 6'3 200 lbs. So im guessing drinkin kava seems to kickstart my digestion similair to eating food or drinking a shake. But what im suprised at is how if you eat pizza 20 min after kava it amplifies your effects. I cannot find that sweet spot of what and when to eat after kava to prolong and sustain the effects.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Very weird,lol..
I find that it depends on the food!
It sucks having to wait till you got a somewhat empty belly before you can drink the kava...
Then you need to time when to eat so you dont mess your buzz up lol,
If I am having a great heady euphoric time and eat pizza around 40-60 mins after downing the kava...
I get hit very quickly by a wave of kava! but...its not as heady, seems like 5-10 mins Im like holly shit!
After that it becomes very relaxing and spins me down into a sleeping baby lol :)

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
maybe it's because i'm rail-skinny and 6'6" but i can't wait 3-4 hours after my last meal to drink kava. well i guess i can, but i don't really get much from it until i eat. i have found that i have better kava sessions when i have eaten at least an hour and a half before hand. i also find that eating does not dampen the effects of kava for me: i eat before and during and after and can feel the kava going strong throughout. if i try to starve myself, though, i end up too fucking cranky to notice anything about the kava.

Winning Shenanigans

Kava Curious
For me it depends on the food but a peanut butter sandwich or hamburger seems to do the trick nicely. Plus ginger makes my stomach way happier especially on an empty stomach :)