What's new

Question about travel and kava

Melissa

Okay, so I'm going to be traveling and staying with relatives. I will need kava more than ever. ;)
Can I pack some ground kava in my suitcase (not carry on luggage) if I'm going to be flying, or is that likely to create issues if they screen my bag and see a bag of strange (to them) powder? Is there any way to travel with it?

I appreciate advice!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I asked the question a while back and I think we all decided it would be best to get it shipped to you there rather than potentially having to explain mystery powder to airport security.

Take some candy on the plane, though!

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
I don't know the answer, but if you're in the USA I would do it unless you're flying out of the country. You aren't doing anything illegal, and you have your rights. It's their job to catch criminals.

I would only consider not doing it if I had a foreign name or I was Muslim, just to save an hour of explanation and directing the security to kava's wikipedia page. Or worse -- to have them take my brew and test it!

I have known people with foreign names flying into the country who were detained for hours departing AND arriving for no reason, it's completely ridiculous. 10 years ago when I used to shave my head they would search me at every interval as well. Suddenly I grow hair and I look like a normal white guy and I never get checked, lol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I believe one of our members successfully flew across country with a few jars of extract from Paradise Kava. No one batted an eye.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I have a sort of a funny story that reminds me of. Well, at least it seems funny to me. Last year when my wife was traveling back here to the US from Brazil, after having went down for a couple of weeks to visit family, I asked her if she could bring back some of the farinha they have there, which is a cassava flour and it's hard to find here that equals the quality we can buy there.

When she arrived back, after picking her up at the airport and arriving home, she told me that they had left a note on one of her bags that it had been opened by TSA or DHS, I can't remember which, and she was wondering why. I opened the bag and moved a few things and then saw this kilo size brick of white powder in plastic that was my farinha. I don't know why, but in Brazil they seem to like to press things into bricks, they do it with coffee also. So I showed her and said 'this is why', :D.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I believe one of our members successfully flew across country with a few jars of extract from Paradise Kava. No one batted an eye.
I would think that it would be international travel that might give you some problems. At least that has been my experience, especially coming back into the USA.. I've had them open bottles of vitamins before, but never anything like that on US domestic flights. But kava is legal in all countries now, right?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I would think that it would be international travel that might give you some problems. At least that has been my experience, especially coming back into the USA.. I've had them open bottles of vitamins before, but never anything like that on US domestic flights. But kava is legal in all countries now, right?
Ya, I think so too. much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I've heard quite often that one hint of the smell and many airport security guards will close it up and throw it back in the bag as quick as possible with full knowledge of what it is; they seem to hate the stuff. :D:LOL:

infraredz

BULA!
I've traveled through domestic US air (through extensive TSA screening) with kava root and instant with absolutely no issues.

Crunked

Proselytizer
. But kava is legal in all countries now, right?
I believe kava is illegal in several countries including Poland, Singapore and Malaysia. But I wouldn't rely on advice from this forum no matter how well intentioned. It would be no defence to a charge.

Melissa

Thanks so much, everyone! This is a flight within the States, so I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a try since there's technically no problem traveling with it. It might be easier to explain to security than to my relatives if I had it shipped. :)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If it's in some unmarked baggy or jar it'd probably raise some red flags. If it's in the bag it came in (ie. BKH's zip bags with fancy pants labels) it probably won't.

Unmarked bags of powdery...stuff...looks suspicious any way you slice it.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Unmarked bags of powdery...stuff...looks suspicious any way you slice it.
Ya I agree, I think if I was going to do it, I would take an unopened bag, with the labels on them. I think they wouldn't look twice. Much love. Roaddog....

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
On the old forum, the kavassuer said he brings 5 or 6 kilos from the US to Africa.
Another member said they got held for 3 hours for an herb & spice blend...but this was on a Jamaica trip.
Someone else said they were a student intern that went through the customs training process...said they have no training about kava, but suggested only bringing kava that looks commercially packaged.
another said "I've flown with kava in the US many times, just leave it in the original package with the label and you should have no problems. I prefer to travel with instant kava or paste due to the smaller size, plus it's less likely to require an explanation at security."
and another "I've flown a few times with rootlets."

It sounds pretty safe to me, if it looks legit. But it's probably a very case dependent situation. Depends on who's checkin' and where you're going.

Monkava'd

All of these are great suggestions and also as a caution and as you are likely aware; just because this flight is occurring, interim within the u.s no longer has any bearing on where or not the criminal toilet safety administration....ahem 'cough'...'cough'....transportation security administration will stick their grubby little noses or hands into your legal privates....um I mean business...yeah that. Where it doesn't belong (take nude xrays of you and harass your children in the name of "security") and than try to acclaim a conspicuous vacuum sealed package of unidentifiable powder has probable cause to insight "terrorist" activity. Though I guess this is all a little off the handle so have a good flight; I apologize now for any pre flight anxiety. :D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, I can tell you this. If I went to Hawaii, I would dump all my luggage, and fill it with frozen root. I don't care what kind of hell I would have to deal with. I would kill to have a freezer full. I would be throwing all my clothes away, except for what I was wearing. @shakas , I looked into that fresh root source you gave me. 10 pounds for $250. The way I figure it, if I can get forty pounds home, that way, would pay for all my stuff in my luggage. Hell I would fill the wifes luggage up too. Imagine TSA, opening up 2 suitcases filled with nothing but Bags of frozen root. But in Hawaii, They would probably think that , that's completely normal.;) Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

Ah but Roaddog there's a weight limit to the luggage isn't there? o_O Hahaha:LOL:
If not that sounds like quite an adventure for sure, just remember to save some for the wandering Monk ;)(y).
Though with the types that get hired at airports now to "keep us safe here" they'd likely just look at one another and say....hmmm there's no way he meant to take this with him and then the other one would say "yeah just toss this trash it won't be missed". :rolleyes::bored::wacky::LOL:
Edit- Hahaha, for some reason I saw 40 pounds instead of 10, so the weight would be no problem, just the awkward stares as you walk hurriedly by with kava breaking through the seams. :ROFLMAO::D

infraredz

BULA!
I forgot to mention that when I flied (domestic- US) I had some unlabeled ziplock bags of kava too that weren't even opened or taken out of my bag. That being said, of course this would draw more attention than keeping them in their original bag, but needless to say, I've done it twice and didn't have problems either time.