What's new

Question on kava

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
As I have said it elsewhere, I do realize (thanks to this forum) that kava is not addictive, not a controlled substance in most countries, and generally not dangerous.

However, I am wondering if any phenomenon resembling a "bad trip" has ever been observed by any kava user? (please pardon my ignorance).

Last edited:

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I have never had that experience. However, if you take too much it won't feel very good, you could get double vision, and you could get very nauseous. If you don't drink enough water you could feel something akin to a hangover the next day.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
One of the most beautiful things about kava is the fact that if you find yourself in the middle of a much too powerful kava session (granted this happens at home) all that's required to take it down a notch is lying down for a while. It's not an experience I've ever once felt "trapped" in. One thing I've always noticed will erase a kava session is a nap. Once I wake up from an hour nap, the kava has disappeared entirely.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Kava doesn't resemble a trip at all, trust me :) so you don't even have to worry about that.
Kava self regulates I think. At a party I came close to having too much kava and started getting naseaus, so I stopped and kind of pigged out on the food there, lined the stomach and I felt great again. Food helps if you over do it I think. I even went back to drinking kava a half hour later. I like the fact that you can kind of snap out it with kava too if you want/need too.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with Kapm and Squanch, if you chug way too much too fast you'll probably just get nausea and maybe it will come back up. A good kava buzz is actually pretty fragile. Too much food, an overly excited or busy environment or just a nap will kill it. I am extremely wary of any type of "bad trip". I've not done most recreational drugs and do not like MJ for this reason. Have never had this problem with Kava. It's just a warm happy hug everytime. Just go slow to see what works for you. You can always drink a little more if needed. If you find yourself in a good place stay there and enjoy it. Don't drink more to see what happens until the goodness starts to fade.

Last edited:

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I get that way too. From time to time I kind of growl like a dog at my family members if they start to harsh my kruzz. Only if they didn't adhere to my I'm listening to the kava please calm down warning hand signal I give them. Set and setting is so important. Sometimes it is best to just switch rooms lol.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
I don't know, Kapmcrunk, Squanch72, TheanineLife, rayken, kavadude, Ligermeat, Sam Handwich (and anybody I might have forgotten): Thanks so much for your answers. Although this might sound crazy to all, I was actually a little worried about running into some strange phenomenon, even though I realize that kava is not a drug by any stretch of the imagination.....For someone who is wary of even wine, that could be cause for concern....:joyful:

verticity

I'm interested in things
As I have said it elsewhere, I do realize (thanks to this forum) that kava is not addictive, not a controlled substance in most countries, and generally dangerous.

However, I am wondering if any phenomenon resembling a "bad trip" has ever been observed by any kava user? (please pardon my ignorance).
Bad trip from kava? I can get some excessive anxiety if I combine it with too much caffeine. it's kind of unpleasant but I would hardly call it a bad trip. And if you drink way too much, you could become uncoordinated and have a "bad trip" in the sense of literally tripping over something. :LOL: As others above have said, the solution to that problem is just to lie down for a while, and you'll be fine. To prevent that problem, space your shells out.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
Bad trip from kava? I can get some excessive anxiety if I combine it with too much caffeine. it's kind of unpleasant but I would hardly call it a bad trip. And if you drink way too much, you could become uncoordinated and have a "bad trip" in the sense of literally tripping over something. :LOL: As others above have said, the solution to that problem is just to lie down for a while, and you'll be fine. To prevent that problem, space your shells out.
Great advice. Thank you.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I've had a somewhat alarming(?) sensation while slipping into a kava calm. I think it's just the sensation of going from one state to another. It only lasts about five minutes, and then it's smooth sailing after that!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Two bad parts of kava drinking:

Drinking too fast (too much too fast) can make you feel nauseated. And it's not fun.
Drinking too much total (in the space of a couple hours) can really knock you back on your heels. I find that if I do that, I eat something high carb (noodles, rice, something like that) and it straightens me out a little faster.

Even when I was so very sick from drinking too much micronized too fast and having to invoke semi-voluntary reverse peristalsis to retreat from a shell too far, the whole vomiting experience was pleasant, short and gave a tremendous amount of relief.

With kava in your system, it's hard to get too worked up about stuff. "Well, that was unpleaseant." *whistles tunelessly*