What's new

Quick Prep Recap...

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys. Don't mean to waste your time, as I know for a fact that there are already -304049430403 prep threads started, but since ive been using micro mahakea for the last 4 months now, and just received a bag of Hiwa grog, I could use a real quick recap for prep.

A tablespoon for every cup of water right? Let it soak in hot water first before putting it in the blender for 5 minutes, and then proceeding to strain it?

Can i used boiled water to extract the kavalactones as well? I just got a new micro wave and it's total shit... Please help.

Thank you, guys!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think you'll get as many different answers as there are threads... I'm just trying out the aluball with good results, mixing with milk too. Helps with stomach issues and heightens the effect. In terms of dose I use varying amounts depending on the kava and how I want to feel that night. I'll go between 4 and 6 tablespoons of a weaker one but something like Fiji Loa Waka I'll stick to 3 to 4. I don't use as much liquid as that, maybe 1/2 a cup of liquid per tablespoon depending on the above. When I use the blender which used to be my fav method I didn't soak at all, just put it all in the blender and blend for 1 to 2 mins then strain. This is just what works for me after lots of trial and error based on listening to other people :)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Micro is easy. Just throw it in some water. Shake/stir it up and strain it. Good to go. You might not even need to strain it with the Micro. Not all micronized is the same. YMMV.

1:1 kava to water should be fine. I normally use 2 tbs : 8-16 oz. IMO using boiling method doesn't give enough benefit vs just using warm or room temperature water. It was only a tiny bit stronger but it totally killed any of the enjoyable flavor if you're into tasting your kava to begin with.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If you were using 2 Tbsp of micro per cup of water, I'd use 3-4 Tbsp of medium grind per cup of water...or rather, 6-8 tbsp in 2 cups of water for the whole mix.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks dudes! Yea I think I'm gonna try using the warmer water method instead of just boiling it... What would you recommend? 10 minutes in the microwave?

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Hi guys. Don't mean to waste your time, as I know for a fact that there are already -304049430403 prep threads started, but since ive been using micro mahakea for the last 4 months now, and just received a bag of Hiwa grog, I could use a real quick recap for prep.

A tablespoon for every cup of water right? Let it soak in hot water first before putting it in the blender for 5 minutes, and then proceeding to strain it?

Can i used boiled water to extract the kavalactones as well? I just got a new micro wave and it's total shit... Please help.

Thank you, guys!
Hey there! I'm late to the party, but I always find pictures help with the explanation. Here's how I make my grog:
http://cactuskava.com/kava-preparation

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I had to recheck the site looking for the instant or micronized!
Yea, I no longer offer anything other than medium grind. I've always found traditional prep to be more beneficial than any other option, and I would rather not confuse newbies looking to try it out.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yes, just you mention it in the prep instructions... I have to use instant on occasions so it's nice to have more options.