What's new

quitting kava pre-surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
So I am very sad to do this, but I will be stopping my Kava intake one to two weeks prior to a scheduled surgery. Anyone dealt with this situation and does this seem reasonable?

I should think even a few days should be sufficient because clearance seems to be pretty quick. Yes, I know I should talk to the doc and I will at some point. Their general instructions are to stop all supplements and herbs prior to surgery - I need to check the sheet to see what their recommendation was exactly. They do not specifically reference kava and probably aren't familiar with it anyway, which seems to be a common affliction among md's.

I would mostly be concerned about the amount of junk they load into you for anesthesia, and not processing this junk as expected because there are kavalactones in the liver, hence the kava abstention ahead of surgery. But, I am sorry to have to give it up for that period of time. I have been really happy with it, as a relative newbie, these past few months, and pre-surgery jitters could use some kava kalming (fyi - it's not a huge deal surgery, but I always get a bit spooked)

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Very smart! That would be my biggest concern ...

Novacaine has adrenaline in it and was not fun when I went to the dentist ...
Dentist is not fun regardless! I had a very unpleasant experience recently, but never though the novocaine was a problem.

I am having my last hurrah with kava tonight. I will probably need a few days post op before I get into again. Sigh. I will miss it.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Kava, I miss you. I thought I would welcome the break from prepping and choking down the grog, which is difficult for me. But I have really been wanting to have some! Can't wait for this to be over. I might have to place an order so that I have something new to look forward to. I am thinking squanch - been on my list for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.