What's new

Kava FAQ Reverse Tolerance Poll

How long did RT last for you before you "broke through"?

• 1-5 days

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 5-10 days (~1-1.5 weeks)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 10-15 days (~1.5-2 weeks)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 15-20 days (~2-3 weeks)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 20-25 days (~3-3.5 weeks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25-30 days (~1 month)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 30-45 days (1-1.5 months)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 45-60 days (2-2.5 months)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 60 days (2 months)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

infraredz

BULA!
For those of you who have experienced what we call reverse tolerance of "RT" for short, how long did it last for you?

This information would be very nice to have on hand for reference, especially to newer member so please cast your vote!

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
For the one person who voted, can you please go back and cast your vote again? I added some options for longer times (didn't know it would ever take more than a month, but just in case, I added it).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm going with 1-5 days because from the start, it always seemed more effective my 2nd or 3rd day in.
However, it did take a while longer than that to have a much more pronounced effect. But I can't say if that was due to RT...or because I used to prepare it too weak.
Pivotal moments occurred when I finally starting doubling or tripling the recommended dosage (packages back then used to say stupid shit like '2 TBSP per cup):meh:
...and when I finally tried Stone. That's when I hit another level.
In the past, I would only drink kava for a few weeks or a month out of the year...so, i was always stopping and starting. Ever since I went 'full-time' with kava a couple years ago, it's much more consistently powerful. It's still hit and miss to some degree...but I've also had some nights that were stronger and more enjoyable than I ever thought I'd have with kava. Another step beyond even my stand-out experiences in the past. I don't think there will be any more kavachievements until I drink the strong fresh root in Vanuatu.
:hungry:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm going with 1-5 days because from the start, it always seemed more effective my 2nd or 3rd day in.
However, it did take a while longer than that to have a much more pronounced effect. But I can't say if that was due to RT...or because I used to prepare it too weak.
Yes that is the exact problem I have with RT. I have no idea how much of it was due to my physical reaction to Kava as opposed to my total lack of experience with using it.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, I understand the subtleties of it, but I just wanted to get an approximate idea so we can have some data to share with newer members so they know what to expect. Oddly, it's a question that has never had its own thread, so here goes that!

Of course, if you didn't experience RT, then don't respond ;)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
......Of course, if you didn't experience RT, then don't respond ;)
Well maybe you should explain that. How do you "know" you have experienced RT???
Also, (just thinking out loud) do you think that might me a thing of value for Kava product reviews? Meaning, would it be useful to add a field in the review form that asks for how long you have been using Kava?? I think it might but not totally convinced it would add quality to the review.

infraredz

BULA!
You know you've had it when you feel a much stronger effect than you did when you first stared out. Especially when you are using the right amount of kava and preparing it right and still just "not feeling it" like a lot of people have said on here.

Some don't have it at all, like me. I mean, I started with kava tinctures from a health foods store, so I can't say that I didn't have some degree of it, because I never noticed any appreciable effect until I started drinking real root (after my second bottle of the tincture.

blindy107

Kava Lover
^eww dude...hardcore!:sick:

it took me just a hair over a month to feel anything but it could have been due to my use of crappy products. I didn't start my own kneading until about 2 months in. the second month of use i felt little tingles here and there. from the 3rd month on and i was sailing!

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think its more a case of recognising what it is you are looking for at the very beginning - it takes a little time to recognise new feelings and benefits. If you are drinking good strong kava made traditionally from the outset, like I did, then maybe 3 nights in I started to acknowledge more than just a numb mouth and fell the other great effects.
I think perhaps anyone who doesn't notice much for longer than a week of nightly drinking just isn't getting a decent dose. After nightly drinking in Vila for few years I went to the UK and bought a jar of kava capsules from a health food shop - the instructions said take 2 a time. I took half the jar and felt next to nothing - just not enough strength. Maybe many people who report RT are just starting off on small amounts through products like this?

Where's My Kava Cup

Kava Curious
Unfortunately, I started with 5 tbsp and went up to half a cup before I felt krunked. I've been drinking half cups worth of stone for my whole time with kava (about 3 months) and I would really like to use less and save more, but half a cup is my sweet spot. I heard that the more you drink, the less you will need later (after RT) but I still haven't experienced any RT. I hear of people drinking a quarter cups worth. That's where I want to be but I'm just not breaking through even though I follow the kneading instructions to a T for at least 10 minutes. Any comments?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Unfortunately, I started with 5 tbsp and went up to half a cup before I felt krunked. I've been drinking half cups worth of stone for my whole time with kava (about 3 months) and I would really like to use less and save more, but half a cup is my sweet spot. I heard that the more you drink, the less you will need later (after RT) but I still haven't experienced any RT. I hear of people drinking a quarter cups worth. That's where I want to be but I'm just not breaking through even though I follow the kneading instructions to a T for at least 10 minutes. Any comments?
If you're feeling it, you're feeling it. There is no further RT to get through. Reverse tolerance is more in reference to when you very 1st start, you might be able to take mega-doses with minimal effect but gradually will begin to feel it at a more standard dose. Half a cup is pretty standard. Once you've settled into your spot, it's more like 'non-tolerance' rather than reverse tolerance. You won't find yourself requiring progressively higher doses to achieve desired effects, like you would with alcohol or opiates etc... It's not like you'll eventually get krunked off a pinch of powder.

Even if your standard dose is half a cup, you may find yourself using more or less kava for reasons other than tolerance/reverse tolerance/non-tolerance.
  • Varying overall kavalactone percentages. Some bags might be 8% while others could be 16%
  • You may be in a situation less conducive to the vibe, dampening the effects.
  • You may get mentally experienced enough to know you could push it farther.
  • Different strainers make different strengths.
  • Kava is sometimes fickle by nature.

Bwiggy

I like plants
@Where's My Kava Cup - I'm wondering where you are getting your kava? Maybe there's a stronger, more pure variety you could try?
How much water do you use with that much kava?
Also, I think working the kava for 15 or 20 min. is reasonable.

You could try adding lecithin and ginger or cayenne, after the prep, as those items help with digestion/the body absobing nutrients, etc.

CheerlessFire

The average stressed-out Asian high schooler in NY
It's good to know that kava effects just take time to break through the reverse tolerance for the feels! I've been keeping steadfast to the idea that it'll be a matter of time before it comes through, and it's re-assuring to know that continuous usage will break the tolerance. Though I'm surprised that this instance of reverse tolerance can be broken through continuous usage rather than abstinence.

Where's My Kava Cup

Kava Curious
@Where's My Kava Cup - I'm wondering where you are getting your kava? Maybe there's a stronger, more pure variety you could try?
How much water do you use with that much kava?
Also, I think working the kava for 15 or 20 min. is reasonable.

You could try adding lecithin and ginger or cayenne, after the prep, as those items help with digestion/the body absobing nutrients, etc.
I'm drinking stone from N@H and I use 2 cups of water, 1 cup whole milk. I'll try the add in's next time, just gotta wait till my first time having it in a whole week and a half arrives Saturday! Wish me luck and thanks for the advice!

Where's My Kava Cup

Kava Curious
If you're feeling it, you're feeling it. There is no further RT to get through. Reverse tolerance is more in reference to when you very 1st start, you might be able to take mega-doses with minimal effect but gradually will begin to feel it at a more standard dose. Half a cup is pretty standard. Once you've settled into your spot, it's more like 'non-tolerance' rather than reverse tolerance. You won't find yourself requiring progressively higher doses to achieve desired effects, like you would with alcohol or opiates etc... It's not like you'll eventually get krunked off a pinch of powder.

Even if your standard dose is half a cup, you may find yourself using more or less kava for reasons other than tolerance/reverse tolerance/non-tolerance.
  • Varying overall kavalactone percentages. Some bags might be 8% while others could be 16%
  • You may be in a situation less conducive to the vibe, dampening the effects.
  • You may get mentally experienced enough to know you could push it farther.
  • Different strainers make different strengths.
  • Kava is sometimes fickle by nature.
Interesting point about there becoming a "no tolorance"! I have noticed that! I'm definitely greedy and always wanting more by my nature so I'll just have to see for myself how to get more out of it! Thanks for your response!

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
Never had a problem with RT, I felt it the very 1st time. Starting many years ago with concentrated tinctures(mouth was numb & I was relaxed immediately). As of today I drink Kava from Hawaii, Fiji, Vanuatu ect... more the traditional way and/or ultra fine micro(makas removed). It seem more than anything that the quality and overall lactone profile affects how strong it hits for me. ...as of late I have been enjoying Pouni Ono, Borgu(very well liked), and some Fijian Lawena...