What's new

Root vs. Powder

Jmp653

Hi all, I've loved looking through this forum. You all offer some great advice.

Currently my only use of Kava has been the yogi brand tea bags I buy at Wal Mart... Needless to say, I'm interested to really try kava and see what it has to offer. I recently purchased some root in Asheville NC, and am unsure of the best way to prepare it, as it isn't powdered. Based on the wonderful reviews on this site, I will be placing some orders to get powdered root. In the meantime, I would like to put what I have to use. Based on the attached picture, what would be the proper way to prepare root when its in this form? Or is it trash? Any information on how to prepare this "mulch" would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Looks more like "Cut and Sifted", which isn't common for consumption or sale.
Do you have a spice grinder? That will powder it more for you.
You could also go traditional and soak it in water for a little while and then chew it up with your mouth, keep spitting it out until you have a baseball sized mass and then knead it inside a strainer that's in your chosen amount of water. On islands that drink dried kava, they'll pound it with a cylinder inside an empty cylinder.

Jmp653

Great information, thanks guys! Looking forward to making some orders that involve less effort :) Will be giving this a shot in the meantime