What's new

sedating kava

Ericb

Hi all, I am new to kava. I tried the kalm with kava borngoru and it calmed me but kept me awake all night. It seems to be an energizing type of kava. Can someone suggest one that will help me go to sleep? I heard the makula Magic may be good for this. Is the true?

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Hi @Ericb !
I'm going to be biased here, but Cactus Kava Malolo is what I use to relax in the evenings. If you want to use a different vendor's kava, I would recommend GHK's Nene.
Boronguru is normally a more sedating cultivar though, so that's a bit surprising; maybe your prep method could use some work? How did you make the KWK?

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all, I am new to kava. I tried the kalm with kava borngoru and it calmed me but kept me awake all night. It seems to be an energizing type of kava. Can someone suggest one that will help me go to sleep? I heard the makula Magic may be good for this. Is the true?
Hi eric, i cant speak for cactus kava as I havent tried it yet, but for most sedating kavas I suggest Nene (ghk) if you looking for a restful and rejuvanating sleep. I would suggest Stone (nakamal@home) if your looking to sit down on couch and want to sink in and not feel the need to get up for anything but a fire in your house. Both are excellent quality and excellent effects.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Nakamal at Home's WOW! and Stone kava. Boroguru not BoroNgoru is typically heavy /sedating from any vendor.
Kalm's Loa Waka is heady and sedating to me.

blindy107

Kava Lover
BoroNguru is very uplifting for me as well. I'll second (third?) what's been said. Stone or a Boroguru work wonders. I prefer Boroguru for sleeping. Makes me useless and tired. The dual purpose or balanced kavas are what I drink daily for the most part. Loa Waka, mahakea, maybe some Samoan Lea if you can find it.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I will not drink kava after 6pm if I need to get up at my regular work schedule. Some heavy kavas will couch lock me, but I will not easily get to sleep. On the flip side I will use a balanced kava or a heady kava in the morning (not much), and it will give me a relaxed easygoing feeling for a few hours. Nice! On nights I do not have to get up early, I will go for a mild heady experience. Most importantly kava helps to keep my corpse from cramping up.

Kavakaize

kavakaize
My personal experience has been the ONLY kava that has kept me up at night was NAH Stone. Actually terrible experience with this kava, I was super anxious which has NEVER happened to me before with trying lots of varieties of kava.
We all have unique physiology with unique neuro transmitter levels. I always test a new kava variety during the day that is my recommendation.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
My personal experience has been the ONLY kava that has kept me up at night was NAH Stone. Actually terrible experience with this kava, I was super anxious which has NEVER happened to me before with trying lots of varieties of kava.
We all have unique physiology with unique neuro transmitter levels. I always test a new kava variety during the day that is my recommendation.
I second that - set up a time during the early/mid-afternoon on a weekend or day off to try a new kava, that way if you don't like the results, you still have time to come back from it and go to sleep in a regular way...

Ericb

Thanks everyone for your excellent and very helpful responses. I was very surprised that this Kava kept me awake for like two days straight. It still did relax me though and that part felt great. In fact after my third time using it I was literally knocked on my butt. I feel that it was stronger than Xanex. I will try some of these other Kavas in the hope that they will make me more sleepy. Again, thanks for your help and if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know:)

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Stone is my least favorite Kava that I have ever had. I know many swear by it however, and it is a quality product. I just personally cannot stand it.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I also had negative effects the first few times I tried Stone, after that, it felt better (I was determined to finish the bag and liked it towards the end). Even during the first sessions, I could still sleep though and that was my escape. Wow! is different, equal potency and just feels great (Just plan on ending the day on it, nothing has made me sleep better).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Their shaman instant kava will do that too. It gives me the pins and needles feeling in my skin and keeps me up. Only kava to ever keep me awake. I drink Moi instant before bed and even that doesn't keep me awake.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
The first time I tried Stone, I tossed and washed about 3 tablespoons at 9pm and stayed awake until 5am. I was absolutely wired. If I can help it, I try to finish my session 3-4 hours before I want to fall asleep. The only way for kava to MAKE me fall asleep is to drink enough to feel rather intoxicated, and I generally don't enjoy to drink that much due to its negative effects(heady anxiety, muscle tension/relaxation paradox, nausea, wobbly eyes, weakness, early-morning bedlock, bubble-guts, red eyes, excessive urination, amotivational syndrome.)
If I consume over 4+ tablespoons of any variety, it's guaranteed that i'll experience at least one these symptoms... And those negative effects are usually enough to outweigh the positive effects of my definition of "kava intoxication."