What's new

Seeking non-queasy kavas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I am looking to expand my horizons a bit. I have been favoring squanch and supreme. But I also have been getting some queasiness from these. Not nausea, but just a general feeling like my stomach is off.

I like the heaviness and sedating quality of the supreme. Some of he kavas with 4 at the beginning have been a bit agitating to me, except squanch waka. I am using primarily for anxiety, sleep and end of the day relaxation in lieu of etoh. Have dabbled in Ghk, Kwk and will likely try bkh soon too, but I am having analysis paralysis in deciding what to go do next. Suggestions would be appreciated!

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I am looking to expand my horizons a bit. I have been favoring squanch and supreme. But I also have been getting some queasiness from these. Not nausea, but just a general feeling like my stomach is off.

I like the heaviness and sedating quality of the supreme. Some of he kavas with 4 at the beginning have been a bit agitating to me, except squanch waka. I am using primarily for anxiety, sleep and end of the day relaxation in lieu of etoh. Have dabbled in Ghk, Kwk and will likely try bkh soon too, but I am having analysis paralysis in deciding what to go do next. Suggestions would be appreciated!
Literally every time I drink kava I get a little queasy. It's just the name of the game for some of us.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Squanch has been the most gentle for my stomach. Perhaps the lawena would do you better.
hmm. I haven't tried many lawenas, but the one I did try was so thick and so neutral tasting that it almost bothered my stomach more than waka.
In response to the OP, I would guess that queasiness is highly variable person to person. For myself, Supreme is worse b/c I personally really don't like the taste (there are others on the forums who love that taste) of that particular kava. Some kavas make me more queasy than others, but usually the way I drink it is more important: drinking smaller shells, relaxing and letting myself smell the kava and not be afraid of the taste, mixing it weaker, spacing shells more, etc etc. Lots of personal mental tricks can be played with to reduce queasiness (I've even gone the opposite way and coated my mouth with oil, then without breathing chugged and chased). That said, Supreme makes me queasier than others because of its powerful flavor. Some Fijian or Tongan kavas seem to cause me less queasiness, but it isn't consistent, so I'm hesitatant to start naming specific kavas.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I agree. I think
hmm. I haven't tried many lawenas, but the one I did try was so thick and so neutral tasting that it almost bothered my stomach more than waka.
In response to the OP, I would guess that queasiness is highly variable person to person. For myself, Supreme is worse b/c I personally really don't like the taste (there are others on the forums who love that taste) of that particular kava. Some kavas make me more queasy than others, but usually the way I drink it is more important: drinking smaller shells, relaxing and letting myself smell the kava and not be afraid of the taste, mixing it weaker, spacing shells more, etc etc. Lots of personal mental tricks can be played with to reduce queasiness (I've even gone the opposite way and coated my mouth with oil, then without breathing chugged and chased). That said, Supreme makes me queasier than others because of its powerful flavor. Some Fijian or Tongan kavas seem to cause me less queasiness, but it isn't consistent, so I'm hesitatant to start naming specific kavas.
I am struggling with gawd-awful taste of it. I haven’t found any that I can stand, at any concentration. Some are, perhaps, less revolting, but still not something that I can enjoy drinking, unlike others on these forums who have acquired a taste for it. I always hold my nose, chug, and chase. Reducing my shell volume and spacing them out more may help. My sessions tend to be crammed into the time between getting home and dinner, and that can be a hectic timeframe of aluballin, making dinner, keeping the youngins under control all while tempting to enjoy the kava effects. Ah well - I basically need a lifestyle change.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "enjoying" the taste of kava is something that has to be taken in context. Nobody's trying to make kava flavored ice cream or kava flavored sports drinks, or kava flavored soda or 'artificial kava flavoring.' I enjoy aspects of the flavor (but more specifically, I enjoy the smell of the dry root) of some kavas; but it is a matter of context. If kava had no effects, I would not drink it. Let's be honest, in spite of what is said by some people, if kava had no effects and was even cheap, people would not drink it. Milk is the only thick colloidal suspension that I really wanna drink. I don't even like drinking protein powder mixes. For me, the taste of kava is more like smelling plants and flowers. Some plants and flowers have spicy, fruity, or sweet smells that are pleasant, some have smells that are not pleasant or neutral. No kava "tastes" good. That's why I oscillate between calming myself and letting myself actually breath while drinking, and just holding my nose. There are some pleasant smells in some kavas which I know my brain has yoked to the bad taste. Calming down and breathing is my way of saying, "shut up brain, this isn't poison; there are even pleasant smells mixed in." But I pretty much never do that with kava supreme, because that is my least favorite kava flavor ever (and the fact that I am still willing to buy it shows that it is very high quality too).

Taken in context: there are kavas that I do really like the smell of (but even some of these make me queasy). BKH Akau was pretty mild/"pleasant." Kava Time's Kadavu mixed a little weaker (most people don't consider this mild, but it works for me weaker). Kavafied's Tonga is very floral (but for some reason makes me queasy for some other reason than smell, maybe actual taste independent of smell). I like Kava Bati (but its consistency can make me queasy, I think b/c of the lawena mixed in making it thick). Squanch tasted bad to me but for weird reasons. I kinda think I might've gotten a bad batch b/c the tastes I didn't like were ones that my brain had flagged as non-kava tastes. Kava Vinaka's lawena ended up grossing me out for the total opposite reason: it tasted TOO neutral and non-bitter (and was thick and starchy/slimy). My brain wanted to flag it as vanilla pudding or something, then kept getting freaked out by how it actually didn't taste good enough. I think you have to just experiment. Taste is the biggest component of queasiness, but I do think the kind/cultivar and the consistency are also in play. For example, in my mind, the odor of KF's Tonga shouldn't have made me as queasy as it did (which wasn't too bad, but more than I expected for something that actually smelled good). Ones with a lot of lawena tend to seem slimy if I mix them strong and that makes me queasier too (Squanch waka also came out a bit slimy). etc.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't get quesiness or nausea so I'm not really much of a judge but I would guess the lighter and headier kavas should tend to be less queasy. Good examples would be that new Melomelo, Sakau from Pohnpei, any of the high end Tongans, like Kavafied's Kava Tonga, or the now extinct Leka Hina, or Tongan Family Reserve.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I don't get quesiness or nausea so I'm not really much of a judge but I would guess the lighter and headier kavas should tend to be less queasy. Good examples would be that new Melomelo, Sakau from Pohnpei, any of the high end Tongans, like Kavafied's Kava Tonga, or the now extinct Leka Hina, or Tongan Family Reserve.
I need to work on the headier ones. Some of them have been borderline agitating for me. I really like the stronger and heavier types, big effect and those may tend to be the queasier ones.

Happy G

Kava Curious
The thing that helps me with the Quesy is I just take a teaspoon of ginger powder before my sesh or make a nice ginger mint tea to sip on during your kava sessions this helps a lot , I also find if I start getting an upset stomach it’s often because I’m moving around if I just sit down and relax my stomach usually calms down. Also the kava does numb your stomach so it makes a ackward feeling in your stomach that I think most people call the quesy but I just tell myself it’s just the kava numbing my stomach and accept the feeling , that helped me when I first started :)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The thing that helps me with the Quesy is I just take a teaspoon of ginger powder before my sesh or make a nice ginger mint tea to sip on during your kava sessions this helps a lot , I also find if I start getting an upset stomach it’s often because I’m moving around if I just sit down and relax my stomach usually calms down. Also the kava does numb your stomach so it makes a ackward feeling in your stomach that I think most people call the quesy but I just tell myself it’s just the kava numbing my stomach and accept the feeling , that helped me when I first started :)
yup. Ginger chews candy can help, as can candied dried ginger and best of all, IMO, ginger beer (which is non-alcoholic, btw)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I agree. I think

I am struggling with gawd-awful taste of it. I haven’t found any that I can stand, at any concentration. Some are, perhaps, less revolting, but still not something that I can enjoy drinking, unlike others on these forums who have acquired a taste for it. I always hold my nose, chug, and chase. Reducing my shell volume and spacing them out more may help. My sessions tend to be crammed into the time between getting home and dinner, and that can be a hectic timeframe of aluballin, making dinner, keeping the youngins under control all while tempting to enjoy the kava effects. Ah well - I basically need a lifestyle change.
Hi,
Try using the product reference to find something that is rated to have a mild flavor. http://kavaforums.com/forum/pages/ProductReference/

Also look at our kavapedia for a ton of recipes to make your grog taste better. http://kavaforums.com/forum/index.php?CustomPages10&Name=Kavapedia&TagKey=10

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Hi,
Try using the product reference to find something that is rated to have a mild flavor. http://kavaforums.com/forum/pages/ProductReference/

Also look at our kavapedia for a ton of recipes to make your grog taste better. http://kavaforums.com/forum/index.php?CustomPages10&Name=Kavapedia&TagKey=10
I have not tried any recipes yet, but perhaps I should. I do think that I may be best off simply chugging grog as fast as possible and chasing. The kava just seems to ruin my appetite or something, in addition to making me a bit queasy at times. Nevertheless I like other effects enough to put up with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.