What's new

Severe headache after Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm still new to Kava. Until now, I've used the same vendor and the same strain.
So I decided to try something new and use a different strain from the same vendor.
After consuming a little less than half the amount I normally take, I began to get a bad headache.
I wanted to be sure it was the kava that was causing it, so I drank a little more, and sure enough, the headache got worse, so I stopped.

Both the kava brand and kava strain are ones that are highly recommended by this forum, and of noble variety.
So I don't think quality is the issue.

One other thing of note - I consumed 380mg of caffeine, or about the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee, however this was 7 hours prior to taking the kava.
While the caffeine may have still been in my system, I was no longer feeling the effects of it.

I usually don't drink caffeine and kava on the same day. But what I was actually trying to do was use the kava to help me sleep, since I figured all that caffeine would keep me awake all night.

Is it possible the caffeine could have interacted with the kava, causing a terrible headache, even though they were 7 hours apart ? Possibly a dehydration effect from the caffeine, producing a hangover-like effect with the kava ?
Or could I be sensitive to this new strain I had never used before ?
Or something else, possibly ?
I hoped to get feedback, because I'd like to either avoid the strain, or the caffeine combo, depending on the culprit, so this doesn't happen again

D

Deleted User01

You sound like me, 4 cups of coffee in the morning. I have on occasion gotten a headachey feeling with Kava but it was due more to the stress of the day than anything. Some members report that high kavain (heady kavas) can give them headaches and I imagine it can go the other way too. So would you say you switched from one type to another? (heady vs heavy)

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I drink coffee every morning (last cup usually by noon or 1pm) AND I drink kava every day, sometimes an hour after having my morning coffee on the weekends. I have gotten headaches that seem to be from drinking too much heady kava but can't actually confirm without a doubt that the kava caused it. So, I think it's possible that strain may not agree with you, but I doubt it has anything to do with coffee. It's also possible it was a one-time thing. Any reason you're being cryptic about the strains? If it's from an approved vendor seems like there's no reason to not be specific, right?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Some members report that high kavain (heady kavas) can give them headaches and I imagine it can go the other way too. So would you say you switched from one type to another? (heady vs heavy)
I'm not sure how to classify these kavas, so I'll go ahead and tell you the actual strains.
I had been drinking Mo'i (Medium Grind and Traditional Prep) with no issues.
Then had the issue the first time I tried Hanakapi Ai (also Medium and Trad Prep).
And only drank about the half the amount of the latter, compared to my normal intake of the former.

Any reason you're being cryptic about the strains? If it's from an approved vendor seems like there's no reason to not be specific, right?
It was just an attempt to be respectful to the vendor, because I did not want to come across as being negative, critical, or bashing a respected vendor. But I just listed the strains above, as Mo'i being the original strain, and the Hanakapi Ai strain as the one where I had the problem. I can also mention the vendor, if you think it's useful to know.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hm, both my son and I find Moi to be much more intense than Hanakapi 'Ai. If anything I would have expected it to be the other way around. Are you sure it wasn't dehydration? That will give you a headache for sure, kava or no kava, but dehydration + kava will be even worse, regardless of the variety or prep of kava.

I can attest to consuming large quantities of Hanakapi 'Ai, on many occasions, without ever getting a headache. And I mean large amounts, if itc ould cause a headache in me, I surely would have got one from what I have consumed, I feel farily confident.

Then again, I have never gotten a headache from drinking kava. Nor ever threw up, nor ever felt nauseau for more than a minute, and that was a long time ago, before I liked the taste of kava.

Of course, it is different for everyone, pretty much. There's a few times you have a kava match with someone. My son and I seem to react identically to the same kavas, so far, but he's only starting out. I'm sure we'll find something we differ on. Even genetics can only carry the overlap so far, I'm guessing, before individual responses start to vary.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Are you sure it wasn't dehydration?
Generally speaking, I don't think I was any less hydrated than usual.
Unless the caffeine played a role in dehydration.
Oh, I just remembered, when I drank the caffeine 7 hours prior, I was also sitting in the sun for about 1 and a half hours, in about 80 degree weather.
I'm guessing that may have played a role.

D

Deleted User01

As I mentioned, vice versa can work too. Heavy kavas can have bad effects for some. That being said, I horsed down a ton of Hanikapi Ai in the last 3 days while I wait for my Papa Ele Ele Hee Hee Hoo Hoo. And Moi is my goto kava for the early afternoon. So I'm going to say that either you had 1 bad hair day or the heavier kavas are not your cup of "tea".
Case dismissed. Next Plaintiff. :D

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I was also sitting in the sun for about 1 and a half hours, in about 80 degree weather.
I'm guessing that may have played a role.
I think that very well may have played a role if that sun was beating directly down on your head for that length of time. The coffee, kava, heat and sun will all dehydrate you and if it's humid out you may not feel that you are dehydrated when you actually are. I don't know what you ate or when on the day in question, but if you ate something sweet or hadn't eaten for many many hours that could definitely exacerbate things as well bringing on the headache. I'd try the kava again indoors after having maybe just one cup of coffee with a protein breakfast and see how you feel. Good luck! (y)

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kava definitely does not play well with bright lights and loud noises. Dehydration can cause a headache even without kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am going to second, or third the idea that it was hydration. I get headaches from dehydration and kava can quickly put me over the edge if I am not careful. You may have been more dehydrated than you thought after sitting in the sun for a few hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.