What's new

Skin issues, help!!!

wolf

hi folks,

I am fairly new to kava and want to share my experiences. So I bought the Vanuatu Sample Set from @Global Kava Exports and made some trials with it. My first experiences were with Malekula Magic, which worked finde for me. I took it 5-6 times and always got proper effects. When I tried the Kaolik for the first time, a few hours later I started to get hives all around my torso. I stopped the kava, but it still went worse. Yesterday I went to a doctor, which injected me cortison. Do you have any hints for me?

My preperation method was tosh and wash. I really recommend everybody to do a proper preperation and NEVER tosh and wash.

Best regards,
wolf

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Well you hit the nail on the head, Toss and Wash does bring out the worst symptoms that Kava has to offer. So strain your kava next time Maybe double strain it. Take a few doses. If you still get hives, then either try another strain or just give it up. I think @Kapmcrunk used to say that some benadryl might help but not if you have to take it everday. Good luck!

wolf

Thank you Deleted User01. I use Benadryl, it helps a bit against the itch.

It seems that it gets a bit better. My nose is not swollen so hard anymore, and the hives are not so red anymore. Everytime I am exposed to the sun, it gets worse immediately.

I wait until the symptoms are completely gone, then think about to try kava again.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@wolf we have seen some people with a mild allergy to kava. Their symptoms are precisely what you've shown in your picture. Benadryl helps, but toss and wash can be a big culprit. I'll echo Deleted User01. Try a different strain and also use traditional prep or instant.

wolf

Thanks Kap´m.
Maybe I am allergic to Kaolik? I used Malekula Magic, Pentecost Pride, instant kava and kava candies before and never had any issues.
If I ever use kava again, i will stick to the strains which I tried without problems.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I would not use that kava. If you are getting an allergic reaction to a particular batch, it makes me concerned about some kind of mold contamination.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Wolf - I had those exact symptoms for the first time 6 months ago after drinking kava for 20 years. It actually happened when I had taken a few weeks off kava whilst traveling with work, and had been drinking beer & wine a lot. Very unpleasant. I had it 3 times over 2 weeks and it lasted 24 hrs each time. I do not believe it is related to the type of kava, as I had it from some from Pentecost, Vanuatu and also from some Samoan. I had previously enjoyed both sources without these weird unwanted side effects.
I am now back on track and drinking most nights without the hives/swollen face.
My unscientific guess is that it is an allergic reaction from your body telling you to back off and take it easy for a while.

That said - you should still go to trad prep. Toss & wash is plain wrong. I strain & massage with a nylon stocking and when done squeezing, sieve through the stocking 3 times, rinsing it each time.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Occasionally in the middle of a session, my skin will itch like hellfire for several hours, to the point I scratch myself raw. I'm guessing whatever the cause of it, is the same thing that happens to you...... But worse. I'm terrible at keeping hydrated, as well. Good luck man. I bet benadryl cream may work better at a local level, without the drowsiness, instead of the pills.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
This may be a dumb question.
But what is "Toss & Wash" ? If it's not instant or kneading-method, then what the heck is it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Toss and wash is exactly that. You toss the raw powder in your mouth and wash it down with some sort of liquid.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
@wolf I had something similar not related to kava, it was a "herxheimer reaction" to a detox regimen I was doing. Depending on what your diet is like, you may have an overgrowth of candida which can cause these kinds of hives when combined with something that pushes toxins out of your liver...

The reason this comes to mind is that whole kava root is high in glutathione which clears out the detox pathways in the liver. If you were "tossing 'n washing", you may have gotten a high shot of glutathione which could (theoretically) push a bunch of built-up toxins out of your liver into your bloodstream, causing the hives...

This is total speculation, fwiw, just trying to offer some more data based on my own experience. :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Raw root powder? Now, why would anyone do that?
Good question. From personal experience I can say it's easier, and stronger. However, also from personal experience I can tell you that I will never consume kava via the toss/wash method again. My skin took a beating and it took months for it to get back to "Pre-alligator" state.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Good question. From personal experience I can say it's easier, and stronger. However, also from personal experience I can tell you that I will never consume kava via the toss/wash method again. My skin took a beating and it took months for it to get back to "Pre-alligator" state.
Shit man, thanks for sharing. Def. not gonna do that. I think I would puke midway trough anyway :smug:

D

Deleted User01

Some people can do it and get away with it. They do it for 2 reasons: 1. You ingest the all the Kavalactones 2. You are too lazy to strain.
But most people get crazy dermo and stomach problems to boot. I do toss and wash all the time ... with GHK Macaless Micronized kava and with zero side effects. And that's also because I'm lazy. When you think about it, it must be the Macas that gives you the bad side effects when you toss and wash powder or poorly made micronized.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
When I'm running out the door, rarely I'll take two tablespoons and mix it in about four ounces, and gag it down. The texture is what makes me gag, blegh. I might do this two times out of a pound bag. The nausea can kick in faster this way for me, and honestly I feel the boost in strength is negligible, compared to your prepped method if it's on point. I've tossed and washed large amounts of leftovers with minimal effects.

Edit: I've dealt with candida overgrowth before, I believe. Or it's psoriasis. But the white tongue leads me to believe it's candida also antifungal creams clear it up temporarily, so I believe it to be candida. Kava causes die-off of it, and it gets worse before it gets better. I need to look into diet changes

wolf

Thank you for your answes.

The hives are completely gone now, but my skin is still itchy as hell. Benadryl helps a lot with this. I am abstaining since 2 weeks from kava.

@nhoeg
Because it´s easy and worked pretty damn well. I am a regular K@ user, which I also tosh and wash. Kava tastes MUCH better than K@, so I had no problems washing it down.

@wolf I had something similar not related to kava, it was a "herxheimer reaction" to a detox regimen I was doing. Depending on what your diet is like, you may have an overgrowth of candida which can cause these kinds of hives when combined with something that pushes toxins out of your liver...

The reason this comes to mind is that whole kava root is high in glutathione which clears out the detox pathways in the liver. If you were "tossing 'n washing", you may have gotten a high shot of glutathione which could (theoretically) push a bunch of built-up toxins out of your liver into your bloodstream, causing the hives...

This is total speculation, fwiw, just trying to offer some more data based on my own experience. :)
@Jonathan
Interesting theory for sure! I have a pretty healthy diet and do sports on regular basis, but not sure about candida.

wolf

So, after a 2-months break I decided to give kava another try. Yesterday I strained 4 tbsp Malekula Magic carefully and did not drink the sediment. Today I woke up with a swollen face :( I ingested benadryl and hope, this helps. Until now there are no hives, just the face is swollen. Looks like kava is not for me :(

D

Deleted User01

Maybe the Malekula worked Black Magic on you. Sorry, bad joke. Try some kava candies for a definitive answer or even the Gaia capsules. But people are allergic to everything on earth and you may well be allergic to Kava but you can't come to that conclusion based on just 1 strain.