What's new

Skin issues, help!!!

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
I second what others have said; you should definitely strain your Kava well to minimize adverse effects. Invest a few more dollars in some good strainers, your skin and stomach will thank you for it!

Good strainers can be had at dudadiesel.com

You can get nylon strainers as fine as 25 microns there. I have been using two:

A 100 micron nylon strainer for kneeding the kava. Then a 55 micron one for a second straining prior to drinking.

These strainers work really well and have minimized the nausea issues that I have had in the past.

wolf

Mr. Kava, I strained it very well this time, and did not drink the sediment. It seems that I am some kind of allergic to kava itself. My face has swollen more and more the last few hours, the benadryl doesn´t seem to help. meh.

Kavakaize

kavakaize
One time in the middle of the night I tossed and washed by TOTAL mistake!
Couldn't sleep went in kitchen barely any light, thought I was making an instant but accidentally put two heapers of root powder chugged it !
Needless to say that didn't put me right to sleep because I felt like I was going to hurl and felt like my liver was taking shrapnel for about and hour then finally passed out.

LESSON LEARNED PUT THE LIGHT ON when making KAVA at 3am !!!

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
Really sorry to hear that you are allergic to Kava. If the swelling doesnt get any better, head to the ER I guess :grumpy:.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Mr. Kava Dudadiesel is where I buy pure methanol. Probably puts me on some sort of list, but nothing works better at removing stickers.

@wolf sounds like it may be time to give kava a rest. Unfortunately genetics have caused a small population to be rather allergic to kava. It sounds like you may want to give your system a long break and maybe try it again in a year or so.

wolf

@Kapmcrunk Yes, I will give kava a longer break. Thank you.

Today my face isn´t swollen so bad anymore. One can still see the allergic reaction, but it isn´t as bad as yesterday. That´s strange, the allergic reaction I had before lasted almost two weeks.

Too bad kava doesn´t work well with my genetics. I am an insomniac, and kava puts me to sleep. It can also sleep with K@ or weed, but milder things like valerian don´t work. Kava would be a nice alternative for me. Anyway, thank you for your help! I really like this board and the cooperative people here! :)

wolf

@kavadude different batches. I used malekula magic and pentecost pride for about a month without any problems, then I tried kaolik and the first allergic reaction appeared. About two months later I used malekula magic (the same batch I used before without any reactions), and the second allergic reaction followed. The first allergic reaction lasted about two weeks, the second one is already gone after two days.