What's new

So... does it taste as bad as mucuna pruriens?

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I was having my morning glass of mucuna pruriens and wondering if kava tastes better. This stuff is pretty nasty -- smells and tastes bad. It's plant-based, but I feel like if there's a plant that smells like meat, this is it. I love meat, but this is yucky. I had to chuckle out loud as I chugged it down, wondering if that will be the case in a few days when my kava arrives.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I was having my morning glass of mucuna pruriens and wondering if kava tastes better. This stuff is pretty nasty -- smells and tastes bad. It's plant-based, but I feel like if there's a plant that smells like meat, this is it. I love meat, but this is yucky. I had to chuckle out loud as I chugged it down, wondering if that will be the case in a few days when my kava arrives.
most kavas have different flavours. There are some general outlines, like a typical bitter Fijian yanqona or a typical peppery strong Vanuatu or a typically creamy mild Tongan or a sweet Sakau. That's just rough outlines. I've shelled non-bitter Fijian and totally non-peppery Vanuatu, flowery, even

Also, many people's reaction to the taste of kava will change over time, although some never do. I didn't like the flavour for the first 6 or 7 months then suddenly I liked it. Now I love it. But there are people who drink it all their lives and always hate it. There's lots of variation. Ice helps to cool it down and ginger beer helps to chase it. Coconut milk in the grog can lighten the flavour.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It tastes worse than mucuna pruriens.
It tastes worse than anything. By far.
It tastes like dirt with a little pepper added.
For me, it requires cocoa powder, honey or stevia, and coconut milk.

Last edited:

Tholman

Kava Curious
While the plant mucuna pruriens might be amazing for all I know, I have to say the words themselves taste pretty bad when spoken.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
While the plant mucuna pruriens might be amazing for all I know, I have to say the words themselves taste pretty bad when spoken.
They sure do! I'm not even sure how to pronounce it and I'm thankful I don't have to. Yuck.
Not sure if it's all that amazing. It's supposed to be good for energy, especially if you've recently quit drinking.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I actually love the taste of the lightly roasted and powdered seeds supplement I had. Mix with a little cocoa even better. I haven't used it in a while but miss the taste. Maybe yours is an extract?

PS if you don't mind sharing, what do you use it for and are you getting benefits?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I've never tried mucuna, but I can tell you that I'm planting kava on land I previously grew mucuna beans on to revitalize the soil.

In five years time I might have kava with a peppery, cashewy, muddy flavour with delicate notes of mucuna.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I actually love the taste of the lightly roasted and powdered seeds supplement I had. Mix with a little cocoa even better. I haven't used it in a while but miss the taste. Maybe yours is an extract?

PS if you don't mind sharing, what do you use it for and are you getting benefits?
I don't mind at all. I use Bulk Supplements Mucuna Pruriens Extract. 1/4 tsp has about 677mg. The amazon reviews had warned me that it might not taste great. But it's 1/4 tsp, and I mix it with about 6oz water, so not a big deal. It makes the milk thistle extract I take seem yummy by comparison!

I follow the Fit Recovery website closely. The guy who runs it used to be an alcoholic and found his way to complete sobriety through a combination of supplements, diet, exercise, and meditation. And of course, good old-fashioned desire to quit. He makes a lot of good points about what alcohol does to your body and how sometimes just wanting to quit isn't enough if you're not taking care of the vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by drinking too much (like Vit B1, for example). Anyway, he mentioned mucuna pruriens as a good supplement for keeping up energy levels when you are first abstaining and feeling fatigue. I can't really tell if that is an issue for me, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to take it for now. I bought the smallest bag they had.

Fit Recovery is actually where I first heard about Kava, as well. He mentioned it as another weapon to have in your alcohol-decreasing/quitting arsenal, so to speak. He is a big fan of strong chamomile tea (like, six bags in one cup), but admittedly, that is not enough sometimes, especially if what you really want is a glass of wine.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kava is an acquired taste. It isn't funky with a cheese or meat like flavor-- just bitter and peppery.

If you want funky funk, try some noni fruit. After drinking that for a while your velvet beans will taste lovely in comparison.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
The others before me gave you a good idea of what to look for. It’s a very earthy taste no matter what. Also I won’t sugar-coat it, when I first began drinking Kava I thought it was absolutely disgusting. I could hardly go through with it initially. I was also using way too much powder with a fairly weak Kava too!

With time that tends to change. I now enjoy the taste of many, but there’s some that I still just tolerate. I can’t say what the reason for this is other than my theory of mentally associating desired effects with taste of the grog. Some never like it but continue to consume it everyday.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I don't mind at all. I use Bulk Supplements Mucuna Pruriens Extract. 1/4 tsp has about 677mg. The amazon reviews had warned me that it might not taste great. But it's 1/4 tsp, and I mix it with about 6oz water, so not a big deal. It makes the milk thistle extract I take seem yummy by comparison!

I follow the Fit Recovery website closely. The guy who runs it used to be an alcoholic and found his way to complete sobriety through a combination of supplements, diet, exercise, and meditation. And of course, good old-fashioned desire to quit. He makes a lot of good points about what alcohol does to your body and how sometimes just wanting to quit isn't enough if you're not taking care of the vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by drinking too much (like Vit B1, for example). Anyway, he mentioned mucuna pruriens as a good supplement for keeping up energy levels when you are first abstaining and feeling fatigue. I can't really tell if that is an issue for me, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to take it for now. I bought the smallest bag they had.
I hear it also helps mood, and with libido. Is that true ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If anyone's curious what exactly mucuna pruriens is, maybe you'll enjoy David the Good's videos about growing it in the tropics.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't noticed a difference with either of those. I started taking it last week. Maybe it takes a while before you feel the effects? I don't really know.
If anyone's curious what exactly mucuna pruriens is, maybe you'll enjoy David the Good's videos about growing it in the tropics.
That video says Mucuna Pruriens can cause hair loss, so be careful.
Also, did anyone see the video title "This stuff will mess you up" and immediately think it meant in a "high" sort of way ?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Some past reviewer described kava to taste like the blood of earthworms with the worm still wiggling in your gut afterwards. :)