What's new

So why isnt Kava Illegal?

verticity

I'm interested in things
To get this thread back on topic. One of the main reasons why kava isn't illegal is that it currently has an accepted cultural use within the United States. It's also on a state quarter. It's became part of our culture when Hawaii became a state.
Kava is on the state quarter? Where?

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
You are right @Rick.Sanchez, there are less harmful drugs than Alcohol that are scheduled. But Kava is not on anyone's Radar until some kid goes to school krunked on Tudei and falls asleep on his desk. :confused: Then you will have to be 21 to buy it and at your local "Kava Store". Like I said, all these synthetic MJ drugs are keeping the DEA plenty busy. If you look at all the scheduled drugs and including alcohol, you might say that Kava is the "sissy" of the bunch.
I agree. Also, I think the DEA learned their lesson when they tried to skew statistics to emergency schedule K@. If they did something similar with kava, they would draw tons of unwanted attention to their arbitrary scheduling practices, and they would get some serious blowback from the kava industry. When they filed their intent to emergency schedule K@, a bipartisan group of Congresspeople and senators wrote them a formal dear colleague letter to express their concern over their abuse of power.

Really, Congress is supposed to approve new drug enforcement laws, but with all the crazy designer drugs coming out, it wasn't something they could realistically keep track of anymore. They only give those powers to the DEA so that they could schedule compounds related to scheduled drugs that were a clear public health threat.