What's new

Societal norms are silly guys

ThePiper

Kava Lover
When people talk about kava or even mmj like it is a strong drug and then turn around and make remarks like "dont even talk to me until ive had my coffee" what hipocracy that is. And its completely acceptable. If you walked up to someone who's ignorant to kava and said "I need my kava fix, right NOW, gimme a double!" They would think you were a drug addict. And if you said "I cant do anything until I have my morning mj" people would raise their eyebrows. Its so funny to see people inlife or on tv talk about coffee like that, because I always replace the word coffee with kava, alcohol, or mj in my head and it makes it hilarious. But thats the society we live in, its totally ok to rant on about how hopelessly addicted you are to coffee.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
So true. Popular opinion is totally warped.

Take for instance, some dude who talks about smoking weed in public. All he's doing is getting stoned and sedate, yet some reason, he gets branded a drug addict and a lowlife.

Now imagine some moronic douchebags and bimbos who go out on a Saturday night, get blasted off their asses, and wake up with a hangover from hell. If they say something like this on scocial media:

"OMG, i got so drunk last nite, I threw up EVERYWRE!!! Oh and I think I cought herpys or something",

Nothing would change. They would still get respect, be accepted by all their friends, and still have their jobs.
(don't get me started on the evils of "drug testing").

Friends, we live in a crazy, crazy world.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think this situation will change with time as more people become aware of kava and it's benefits. The situation with alcohol is slowly changing here in the UK. It used to be acceptable to drink and drive whereas now it is completely socially unacceptable. The other big change is lunchtime drinking. In most workplaces it used to be acceptable to drink a couple of pints (or maybe more) at lunchtime and these days I would say the vast majority of people do not drink alcohol halfway through their working day and go back for an unproductive afternoon. In time things will change.

EQ

Atman
I actually think most people are more accepting these days and we've moved further than ever in the grand whole of this new culture. We went from slavery to 23-skidoo to LSD to tattoos to hip-hop ( sub-cultural movement and not the music alone ) to Cannabis legalization. So many people in Canada smoke dope. We got vape lounges.
I feel that most people who would look down at Kava are insecure with their own lives and personal non-achievement. Most people who live or have realized the good within them aren't like the people above.

Most people with individuality don't post stupid shit on social media.
@Ligermeat They are respected among themselves. There is so many people that feel pity, think foolish, or simply are detached of their mindless follow. It seems like our society is represented by the mass immaturity and ego fiending, unsatisfied, children. It doesn't change until you call them out on their shit. We are too nice. Never fear empowering what you believe. Never compromise.

Like who are these people? The dudes who park their trucks in a ring in parking lots discussing pussy and body counts or the dudes with passions discussing their thesis for their doctorate? Or the dudes jamming out on guitars and keyboards trying to sing art? Or the guys in Africa building wells who don't take pictures to be cool. Anything that isn't dry. If I walk by people talking Carl Jung and UFOs I'd smile with appreciation. There's tons of open-minded, accepting, good people these days. You just have to filter through

Who cares what the dead think.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
It is changing for certain with mj. It's legalized in a couple states including mine. I voted to legalize it, but I don't use it at all.

(Why do I feel the need to tell you I don't use it? I want to make sure people on this anonymous forum know I don't smoke mj? I don't want them to read my other posts about kava and think I can't be 'trusted' because I'm a 'druggie'? Maybe I'm part of the problem. lol)

But my point is, I'm certain mj will be legalized everywhere in the US and Canada eventually. I don't know how long it will take. Compare it with gay marriage: there were some very conservative states where people thought gay marriage would never be legal. They were wrong. It's legal everywhere including Utah now. It's called progress.

EQ

Atman
It is changing for certain with mj. It's legalized in a couple states including mine. I voted to legalize it, but I don't use it at all.

(Why do I feel the need to tell you I don't use it? I want to make sure people on this anonymous forum know I don't smoke mj? I don't want them to read my other posts about kava and think I can't be 'trusted' because I'm a 'druggie'? Maybe I'm part of the problem. lol)

But my point is, I'm certain mj will be legalized everywhere in the US and Canada eventually. I don't know how long it will take. Compare it with gay marriage: there were some very conservative states where people thought gay marriage would never be legal. They were wrong. It's legal everywhere including Utah now. It's called progress.
I also think when you mention not being a cannabis smoker, and still voted for it is a powerful statement. I feel something like that to hard headed people would cause discomfort. "You aren't a stoner but want there to be lazy goofs? How?"

If you snorted coke I'd still respect your opinion. Don't know if that means anything, but I'd place value on people who care what you have to say pot smoker or not.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Verticity, your post made me remember some things that concerned me. I am extremely concerned about how this affects the youth, particularly with mixed messages of society. Yes we are moving toward tolerance and understanding, but this transition is not going to be a comfortable one. Teens today are living in a world where all the media and even community might be telling them, mj is safe, better than drinking, even socially acceptable etc. So they talk about it in public, post about it on Facebook... Next thing you know they've crossed a fine line and have a criminal record. And they look back at the community and scratch their heads. And god forbid they belong to a minority group. White kids smoking weed is apparently more forgivable than black or hispanic kids. It makes me shake my head.

Thankfully kava does not have the same history of intolerance. If only we could get the kids of today/tomorrow to choose kava over all the drugs and alcohol::kavaleaf::

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Verticity, your post made me remember some things that concerned me. I am extremely concerned about how this affects the youth, particularly with mixed messages of society. Yes we are moving toward tolerance and understanding, but this transition is not going to be a comfortable one. Teens today are living in a world where all the media and even community might be telling them, mj is safe, better than drinking, even socially acceptable etc. So they talk about it in public, post about it on Facebook... Next thing you know they've crossed a fine line and have a criminal record. And they look back at the community and scratch their heads. And god forbid they belong to a minority group. White kids smoking weed is apparently more forgivable than black or hispanic kids. It makes me shake my head.

Thankfully kava does not have the same history of intolerance. If only we could get the kids of today/tomorrow to choose kava over all the drugs and alcohol::kavaleaf::
There was a write up in the Uk press saying cigarettes were harder to give up than Heroin..... sh!t that is a terrible statement to publish IMO.
Giving up Cigs Doesn't come anywhere close to giving up Opiates.....

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
You have a lot of puritans in this country. You have a lot of big government control freaks. Lets not leave out the idiots.

Liberty is still a revolutionary concept.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
@ThePiper I don't think we should be concerned about what "message" legality sends to kids. Honesty is the best medicine.
When people say that cannabis bad and the other people say it's so good there's nothing wrong with it... that's the issue.
Like K@.
. Because it's on the verge of illegality ... there is a huge denial of the negatives ... this is the exact case for cannabis right now... if it were legal like kava.. we wouldn't worry about saying it makes you okay with being bored ... if kava was about to be illegal we wouldny be okay with talking about kava skin as much

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well I managed to create something special with multi quotes and all sorts but have been drinking alcohol and so have lost some coordination :-(

All I wanted to say was, basically, yay, never drink alcohol and always drink kava...

Jerome

Kava Lover
You know what substance is considered 8 times more addictive than cocaine and one complication from its excess is the leading killer of most western nations?

Sugar. And we push that stuff like crazy on kids.

I'd would prefer my kids drink kava, and perhaps even low doses of cannabis, than be ingesting sugar and processed foods. That stuff is deadly.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Well I managed to create something special with multi quotes and all sorts but have been drinking alcohol and so have lost some coordination :-(

All I wanted to say was, basically, yay, never drink alcohol and always drink kava...
I've been drinking booze instead of kava for the last few nights. My dad's in the hospital with MRSA in a surgical wound, so, sadly, I've needed something stronger than the gentle call of kava!. When he's safe again, back to my roots.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So true. Popular opinion is totally warped.

Take for instance, some dude who talks about smoking weed in public. All he's doing is getting stoned and sedate, yet some reason, he gets branded a drug addict and a lowlife.

Now imagine some moronic douchebags and bimbos who go out on a Saturday night, get blasted off their asses, and wake up with a hangover from hell. If they say something like this on scocial media:

"OMG, i got so drunk last nite, I threw up EVERYWRE!!! Oh and I think I cought herpys or something",

Nothing would change. They would still get respect, be accepted by all their friends, and still have their jobs.
(don't get me started on the evils of "drug testing").

Friends, we live in a crazy, crazy world.
I see the point you are trying to make here, but from my perspective I disagree. I think the pothead that smokes weed in public and brags about it is an idiot (Just like the wanna be whoever that gets shitfaced drunk the night/day before and boasts about it the next day), it serves no purpose other than to get attention, which speaks to @EQ's point more than anything. I have nothing against mj and personally indulge in it from time to time. Do I go around boasting about it like an idiot? No, I keep it to myself, I have nothing to prove and while I could careless what anyone thinks, it's still common sense to me that mj, though somewhat socially acceptable, is still illegal on a federal level, so until otherwise, I will do the smart thing, and keep it at home, until the law says otherwise or I chose to move on, the truth for me anyways, is that along with drinking alcohol, I am finding less and less desire to smoke mj, because kava is a much better alternative for me and my well being and most important, my peace of mind, which is the reason I started consuming kava in the first place.

To the point of the OP, social media in the last 15 years have opened up the door for good and bad, it's great to have that level of connection and ability to communicate on such an impressive platform. Having said that, the unfortunate reality is that when it comes to social media, 85% of the population act like idiots, with the illusion that because "it is the internet and anonymous" people glorify the dumbest shit! Look at Facebook and twitter as an example, 90% of the content is totally useless information, from people that have gotten used to this way of communicating instead of stepping out the door and going out for a walk, meeting someone in person, having a conversation face to face. I am a child of the 80's and back then, there was that one phone line at home, there was no internet no social media, no smartphones or wireless phones (until the brick). Life was simpler, hanging out with your friends, meant you had to get on your bike or skate board and go to their house. I miss those days and often look back with fond memories of a simpler time.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
@ThePiper I don't think we should be concerned about what "message" legality sends to kids. Honesty is the best medicine.
When people say that cannabis bad and the other people say it's so good there's nothing wrong with it... that's the issue.
Like K@.
. Because it's on the verge of illegality ... there is a huge denial of the negatives ... this is the exact case for cannabis right now... if it were legal like kava.. we wouldn't worry about saying it makes you okay with being bored ... if kava was about to be illegal we wouldny be okay with talking about kava skin as much
I see what your saying I just meant its a shame that kids are probably getting burned in this transitional period. Most 15 year olds will probably struggle with the concept that marijuana is becoming widely accepted but that they can and will get arrested (maybe even do a little time in juvenile facilities) over it. I just think in my teens I didnt have that struggle so much because it was right on the tipping point where everyone still held the stigma but the truth was only starting to spread