What's new

*New Members* Say hello Sort of new to Kava (come say hello!)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It would depend on the cultivar. What type of concentrate is it?
It's the kalm with kava concentrate drink. KWK uses their own borogu to make the concentrate. I could be incorrect on the strain exactly, but I know for certain they use their own tested roots to make it from.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I love mixing that with grog (pre-mixed medium) and make Kavakazies. I believe Kapm's wife perfected the recipe or someone else, I can't remember, best at night for that one, lol.

KWK by itself is wonderful anytime of the day.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I love mixing that with grog (pre-mixed medium) and make Kavakazies. I believe Kapm's wife perfected the recipe or someone else, I can't remember, best at night for that one, lol.

ooooh, that sounds exciting! I'd like to hear more about these Kavakazies haha

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast

I didn't get much out of it :-/ I still have one bottle left. I'll try the Kavakazie since alone I wasn't really feeling it. Which is a bummer, i really enjoyed the 'rita taste hah.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Hello!
Fushi
You may very well be able to replace the Ativan with Kava. I did. I hated it, I've never really gotten the allure of benzos used "recreationally".

I have gotten a weird sort of anxiety from some crappier, origin unknown kavas, most definitely.

The kava will kick in for anxiety WAY quicker than Ativan, which by the book takes 1.5 to 2 hours from what I've read and sorta remember.

Just don't take the kava on top of the Ativan, in case you're unaware. Really, any gabaergics should not be mixed. I used to take gabapentin for restless legs occasionally. Without thinking, I slobbered up a cup of strong kava roughly 3 hours after the GP, which also takes about 90 min to work. Oops. I had some pretty bad double vision and other nonsense going on.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Welcome! You're starting out exactly how I did in the beginning. It was gaia herbs that I was using until one day I took 3 at once and noticed a little something "extra".

I highly suggest trying instant kavas first to get your feet wet. Bula kava house has a great instant, as well as Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Nakamal At Home's fire island instant is no joke either, and highly recommended.

If you want to just jump straight in I suggest a sample pack from kalm with kava. It comes with 3 different types of medium grind kava and a strainer bag. It will give you direction on which type of kava works best for you.
I put some of that bula instant (I believe they call it green something) in my cart when they had their 15% off sale a little while ago and never pulled the trigger. Thanks for the review.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
....and I'm going to go ahead and break with "tradition" and introduce myself on a forum (this one ; ), something I've never, ever done as it struck me as being kinda corny. I've found this one to quite pleasant and at this point, my jerk-ass gauge is at zero here. (Haven't come across a single one yet) Maybe everyone's just a little more relaxed here...

Thanks for the inspiration.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
You may very well be able to replace the Ativan with Kava. I did. I hated it, I've never really gotten the allure of benzos used "recreationally".

I have gotten a weird sort of anxiety from some crappier, origin unknown kavas, most definitely.

The kava will kick in for anxiety WAY quicker than Ativan, which by the book takes 1.5 to 2 hours from what I've read and sorta remember.

Just don't take the kava on top of the Ativan, in case you're unaware. Really, any gabaergics should not be mixed. I used to take gabapentin for restless legs occasionally. Without thinking, I slobbered up a cup of strong kava roughly 3 hours after the GP, which also takes about 90 min to work. Oops. I had some pretty bad double vision and other nonsense going on.
I haven't taken one since I started this more in-depth Kava experience. A couple of times I thought I was headed towards a panic attack but nothing that would necessitate popping a happy pill. The Kava helps me sleep (doesn't hurt I that I Quit drinking booze and smoking) which in turn lowers my anxiety level. And the lingering calm I feel after consuming just lowers the chance of an attack happening altogether. Kava has been a solid decision :)

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
OK, one last question ( I think, but i searched first and didn't find anything so I promise I'm not trying to blow you guys up with questions) NA Beer is less than .5% Alcohol. If I wanted to have one would that small amount be of any concern?
I just want to say this is hands down the most supportive, friendliest forum I've ever been apart of.
My last reply to you for the next five minutes...honest.

Dude. I'm so used to people being complete dicks at every opportunity, I'm kinda blown away by this forum. I agree 100%. I'm waiting for the alarm clock to go off to realize this is all a dream. Sadly, I'm surprised by what should be.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast

Dude. I'm so used to people being complete dicks at every opportunity, I'm kinda blown away by this forum. I agree 100%. I'm waiting for the alarm clock to go off to realize this is all a dream. Sadly, I'm surprised by what should be.
Hah all good homie. No worries here!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

I blame the kava ;)

For real, we all came together in the same spirit, and many of those people from the beginning are still around today. Kava is to be shared, and by sharing it we're honoring it. That, and I really feel like every member here is equally important, no matter if you're new or have been drinking kava for decades. I've learned equally as many things from newbies as I have from old timers. Plus, for me, one of the most awesome things I see is new people jumping in and "getting it". Seeing their eyes light up from the veil being pulled down is always a cathartic experience.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I blame the kava ;)

For real, we all came together in the same spirit, and many of those people from the beginning are still around today. Kava is to be shared, and by sharing it we're honoring it. That, and I really feel like every member here is equally important, no matter if you're new or have been drinking kava for decades. I've learned equally as many things from newbies as I have from old timers. Plus, for me, one of the most awesome things I see is new people jumping in and "getting it". Seeing their eyes light up from the veil being pulled down is always a cathartic experience.
Catharsis is right. I'm gonna try to keep this short (brevity is clearly not my strong suit) and not too sappy, but Fushi said what I've been thinking. This is the polar opposite of what I'm used to. All forums, cars, K@ etc had too many assholes. I had this sort of epiphany where I thought "I think I was supposed to be here all along". I got so disgusted by a K@ forum years ago because I felt like I was talking to retarded crack heads (I realize how that sounds).

There is a civility and intelligence here that was apparent instantly. Its a REALLY nice, refreshing change. I try to contribute more than I take, and I am as thorough and as accurate as the internet allows. I don't feel like someone's gonna release the hounds if I ask a question here. It's FANTASTIC. I've certainly never seen a forum founder reply so frequently, if ever. Its very cool of you. Again, thank you, its appreciated.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Well at 3:00ish I tried the Loa Waka. It's great, I had two cups and am still feeling the residual chill even after eating. I sat on my couch and just chilled in silence then turned on the Switch for some casual nonsense before making dinner at 5.
In an hour or so I'll try either the Borongoru or the Kava Lapita as it seem those were intended for the evening.
Anyone have an opinion on what to try first??
Hi, and welcome here. I will keep this brief, because it is a rare occasion when I am having to type with one eye closed.

I tried the Kavasociety Borongoru today for the first time. It's potency really surprised me.

And there is an immediate bright mood uplift and relaxed mental feeling.

Damn it's really got me today though, I wasn't expecting it, for me, easily the most potent of KSNZ's great kavas.

Im not saying potency is everything at all, just making that point.

But the Borongoru is both very strong and instant, and pleasant and enjoyable.

I did have 15 grams Ofa's Kava this morning, about 50 grams of the Borongoru. I had to leave 3 quarters of it earlier after the first 3 small, dense shells anhialated me.

I recooped, finished it this evening with a 5 gram instant dose. So I would call that 75 grams worth.

But the Borongoru really has hit me as hard today, itself, as any other kava in house or possibly tried to date.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast

Potentiation is so real. Accomodating for it definitely pays off.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Potentiation is so real. Accomodating for it definitely pays off.
I'm guessing the kava is the potentiator, given that it's only a partial gaba agonist. I recall a couple of times waiting for kava induced anxiety to wear off, and having to take a pill to make it go away because it didn't depart on it's own. That was more necessity than accommodation though. Seemed crazy and backwards to me. I always assumed that people took kava with benzos because they didn't have enough pills to "get there".