What's new

Squanch!!! (chemotype?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I just got my first pound of Squanch today. I love it when any kava shows up in my mail box, but I have been looking forward to this one for a while, finally got around to ordering.

I am about half way through my grog from about 4 tbs in two aluballs. I have been smiling since about 5 minutes into this session. It's definitely a nice one, not that I have had a bad one yet.

Curious what the chemotype of squanch waka is? Google failed me on this, but it must be out there.

Bravo, Squanch!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have had three different batches, they taste a bit different but they are all excellent and share the same qualities, if perhaps a tad gentler, but the same strong, balanced, euphoric goodness.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Very happy with it. I used it all up (well, I have some frozen makas to get to at some point), but have more incoming tomorrow.

I had a funky experience with the aluball one time with this kava. My grog was super thin looking and effects were weak. When I opened the balls, there was a gooey outer layer of wet makas and inside was bone dry powder. Maybe I put in a bit too much. I just took it from the balls and did traditional prep on it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Very happy with it. I used it all up (well, I have some frozen makas to get to at some point), but have more incoming tomorrow.

I had a funky experience with the aluball one time with this kava. My grog was super thin looking and effects were weak. When I opened the balls, there was a gooey outer layer of wet makas and inside was bone dry powder. Maybe I put in a bit too much. I just took it from the balls and did traditional prep on it.
No wait! This happens some times. That's why I love the two AluBall system. You simply take the two gunked up halves and match them up with clear AluBall halves so one half is gunked up and the other clear to allow free flow of water. If you caught it in time, simply put that thin grog back in the bottle and shake again. Or just make a new wash with correspondingly less water to account for using less grind, if you were double balling. Otherwise just proceed as if it never happened, from the beginning. No problem.

This can be avoided if you dry the AluBalls first, not always possible or at least tap wet balls when split in half to remove excess moisture before adding grind. Also, one thing I do is after I put in the grind and screw the balls together I put them perpendicular and give them a couple of taps on the rim of the bottle, so the grind isn't sitting flat in the bottom half of the AluBalls, but spread over the two. Dunno if this is science or voodoo but it seems to help. But like I say, if you do get tha screen blockage, it really is not a problem to fix in a jiffy.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
No wait! This happens some times. That's why I love the two AluBall system. You simply take the two gunked up halves and match them up with clear AluBall halves so one half is gunked up and the other clear to allow free flow of water. If you caught it in time, simply put that thin grog back in the bottle and shake again. Or just make a new wash with correspondingly less water to account for using less grind, if you were double balling. Otherwise just proceed as if it never happened, from the beginning. No problem.

This can be avoided if you dry the AluBalls first, not always possible or at least tap wet balls when split in half to remove excess moisture before adding grind. Also, one thing I do is after I put in the grind and screw the balls together I put them perpendicular and give them a couple of taps on the rim of the bottle, so the grind isn't sitting flat in the bottom half of the AluBalls, but spread over the two. Dunno if this is science or voodoo but it seems to help. But like I say, if you do get tha screen blockage, it really is not a problem to fix in a jiffy.
Yeah - not a big deal and it can be dealt with. The makas were perfect spheres inside the aluballs, wet exterior layer and bone dry in the middle. I am being more mindful of how I load and shake them. The squanch produces a good amount of sediment with the aluballs so I know something is up when I don’t see that.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I always stay at least 1/8 inch below the Aluball inner fill line. If I don't then I get the cement thing going on. I try and push and get closer and closer to the fill line but I need that 1/8 inch of headboard.
And thanks @Krunkie McKrunkface I had no idea you could save the cement ball without putting it in a strainer bag. I usually just go eff me I did it again and toss it in the trash and start over. Then I end up with the Native American witnessing littering commercial single tear from seeing Kava that has accidentally died too soon.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Ah Hardee's a uniquely Southern restaurant with non-Southern hospitality at the same time. They usually have the rudest and slowest service off all fast food joints down here that will make you swear you are back up north or at least in Maryland :) Welcome to Top Copy! So if I get homesick for NE Pennsylvania I can just swing by Hardees :)

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Ah Hardee's a uniquely Southern restaurant with non-Southern hospitality at the same time. They usually have the rudest and slowest service off all fast food joints down here that will make you swear you are back up north or at least in Maryland :) Welcome to Top Copy! So if I get homesick for NE Pennsylvania I can just swing by Hardees :)
Wow; I didn't realize Hardee's is a southern thing! Seems like I only see them in my very northern region. Everywhere else they seem to have turned into Carl's Jr.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Wow; I didn't realize Hardee's is a southern thing! Seems like I only see them in my very northern region. Everywhere else they seem to have turned into Carl's Jr.
I have a buddy who grew up in California but is up in PA now. He gets excited that we have Hardee's down here because when he visits. He worked at Car's Jr. as a teenager and said Hardee's are the same place more or less. I think I have seen the some Hardee's traveling North.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
We had one in PA that turned into a Roy Rogers for a while. That was kinda weird.

So, @Squanch72... Wawa or Sheetz?
I suppose Sheetz for the better pastries. Where do have a Wawa in the town I work in, plenty of sheets across the river or over towards Richmond. Back in PA this guys we called him Sheetzy, he cleaned the different Sheetz in the area. Fun, sweet, backwards, simple guy to sit next to and bullshit with at the bar. He looked like Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys, even lived in a trailer park. But really if I am up home there are so many awesome local coffee/donuts shops it seems a shame to not to get their awesome coffee and donuts. It blows my mind when I see people go to Dunkin Donuts when Donut Connection or Curry Donuts is a few blocks away. Plus I guess growing up with Turkey Hill stores, that is where I am stopping for gas while in PA.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
When asked Wawa or Sheetz, the Squanchmeister answers: Turkey Hill.

You are truly a son of the Keystone State. May Joe Paterno's eternal blessings shine down upon you. May you never get stuck behind an Amish buggy, hit a pothole, or miss the first day of deer season. And may all the weddings you attend be held in fire stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.