What's new

Start with the leaves and stems?

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Hello all and Happy New Year!

So, someone gave me this kava plant and told me to start with the stems and leaves. I have been just taking bites out of it and now I feel strange. Is this how I am supposed to take kava?

I am just kidding. That may or may not be a kava plant.

Like many others, I have been lurking around these forums for a little while and have found some really helpful advice and information. A little about me, for the past few years I have been getting stressed out a lot easier and I get anxious a lot more than I used to. Often, I prefer to be by myself rather than hanging out with other people because I get to anxious and annoyed easily. Also, I was in a car accident a few months ago. It seemed minor at the time. However, after a couple of weeks I started feeling a lot of back pain and getting headaches a lot more. So, I started taking prescription pain pills that I liked very much. I knew I would get addicted easily so I wanted to get off of them before I was really addicted. I remembered kava from about 10 years ago when I used to get it from a head shop and I liked it.

I have been taking kava again for a couple of months now and have been enjoying its many benefits. I really appreciate that you all have formed a community around kava.

The first order this time around was from kava.com. When I started looking for kava, kava.com and its affiliates were the main ones that were popping up online. I didn’t know that they were all connected at first. I ordered their kava paste and only took two very small dosages a few hours apart. I felt drunk and the next day I felt a hangover. I quit drinking about 5 years ago and didn’t like feeling that way again, so I threw it away. It definitely felt like two day kava. I tried another kava of theirs that I ordered at the same time and it was okay.

After that, I started researching more and found these forums. I started learning about what true kava was and ordered from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. They have been really amazing. Their kavas are truly superior to any that I have ever had and their customer service is wonderful. I get my kava from them in about a week and have enjoyed trying their different kavas. Boroguru is my favorite because it really helps with relaxation and pain relief. Are there any kavas that are similar, but don’t make me as tired? I take kava at work as well and want similar benefits without wanting to go to sleep. Or is there a good kava to mix this one with?

What is everyone’s favorite kavas and kava blends and why? I would like to continue to seek out different kavas for different purposes.

Thank you for reading this novel and I look forward to everyone’s input.

Signed: Me

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hello, welcome to the forum. That is amazing: an evergreen kava plant! Now kava can be grown in cold climates like here in Colorado, where the temperature was -1 F this morning!

Lately, I have been using a mixture of Kalm with Kava Pouni Ono with either KWK Borongoru or GHK Borogoru. The Pouni is very heady by itself, so the Boroxgoru kind of takes the edge off and adds a more relaxing feeling. I'll typically mix 1 or 2 parts Pouni to 1 part Boro.

Unfortunately, the heavy kavas that are good for pain relief also tend to be more sedating, but you might try adding a bit of Moi or other heady kava to your Borongoru to add some stimulant effect.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So apparently a lower case n in parentheses is a thumbs down icon. I was trying to write boro ( n ) goru, not give a thumbs down!

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Hello @verticity, do you decorate your kava as well? I have been considering Pouni Ono. That may be my next purchase. The Boronguru seems like a possibility as well. I am making a list. Why are some of the names so close together like Boroguru, Borogu, and Boronguru? Are they family? I actually just tried Moi today and it seems very nice.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I am still working my way through the GHK offerings but have already found that Mahakea works very well for anxiety relief without making me sleepy. Nene has been recommended as well but I have yet to try it in the medium grind. It will be my next order.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Hello @Sam Handwich, I don't seem to be getting much from Mahakea for some reason. I will try more and see if it affects me. I seem to be a lightweight (yay for saving money!) with everything else. Nene knocked me out the first night, which is what I wanted for that kava, so I do like that one. I just tried the Moi today and really enjoy that kava. It is a fun journey and I will enjoy trying many different types.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hello @verticity, do you decorate your kava as well? I have been considering Pouni Ono. That may be my next purchase. The Boronguru seems like a possibility as well. I am making a list. Why are some of the names so close together like Boroguru, Borogu, and Boronguru? Are they family? I actually just tried Moi today and it seems very nice.
I think the reason the names are similar is that they are actually names from native languages of Vanuatu, of which there are many, scattered across different islands. That does not mean the kavas are the same. For instance the word "borongoru" that the people on the island where it is grown use is probably linguistically related to the word "borogoru", but it is a different cultivar. The effects of boron are less sedating than boro, in my experience. I find it (boron) great for anxiety relief without putting me to sleep.

I tried decorating my kava by mixing some tinsel into my grog, but that didn't end well. :D

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Hello @Sam Handwich, I don't seem to be getting much from Mahakea for some reason. I will try more and see if it affects me. I seem to be a lightweight (yay for saving money!) with everything else. Nene knocked me out the first night, which is what I wanted for that kava, so I do like that one. I just tried the Moi today and really enjoy that kava. It is a fun journey and I will enjoy trying many different types.
I have yet to be put to sleep by any kava but wouldn't mind finding one that does the trick, perhaps Nene will be the one. I too am a lightweight and usually am not trying to get an intoxicated effect from kava. I have fund that 2-3 tbsp of Mahakea traditionally prepped and consumed of the the course of several hours will provide a nice subtle relief from anxious thoughts with out any major kava effects. I have never tried higher doses of Mahakea so it's hard to say if it would work for a "krunk". I have made a strong batch of Ono from cactus kava and found that will definitely do the trick when some happy kava time is wanted. I look forward to hearing what other kava strains work well for your anxiety.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Hi and welcome @I don't know! Its taken me quite some time, and a ton of money, and quite the stash of different kavas from some great vendors. Same as you, I'm quite the anxious little thing after some major family issues (still ongoing), and dabbled with a bit of therapy, some acupuncture, a load of meditation, exercise and benzos that I felt I needed but no longer need and trying desperately to get off. Its dammed hard to get off that stuff. But Kava is saving the day. As I said I've had some hits and misses and sometimes one kava works great, the next time I try it, I'm just not feeling it the same. Anyways...... a consistent favorite of mine which has served me exceptionally well just today is Cactus Kava's 'Ono. Not a huge pain killer but it relaxes me enough that I let go off the neck tension and that relieves some of the pain. Makes me feel relaxed and in a chill and peaceful mood, yet still felt productive and creative. I think it even lowered by blood pressure which had been running high the past couple of days - down to a respectable 110/74 today.

Happy New Year and Bula!

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
During the day I have been mixing Mahakea, Boroguru, and now Moi together into 12-16 oz of chocolate almond milk. The measurement of all three kavas altogether is about 1 tablespoon. (Definite lightweight) This is the medium grind not strained. I am waiting for my Aluball to arrive in the mail because I know it is better to strain it and I don't feel light doing the traditional prep. This mixture really helps with pain relief, stress relief, and keeps me from wanting to go to sleep. The drink seems to get stronger as the day goes on and I just sip it throughout the day. I will continue to order more and try out different kavas. I am so thankful that I could find a natural way to deal with these issues. Sometimes, I just hold a half teaspoon of a kava under my tongue until it dissolves and then spit out what is left. I will try instant and micro for that soon. But, this seems to work really well for me as well when I don't want to drink much liquid (besides water) and it works fairly quickly.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
During the day I have been mixing Mahakea, Boroguru, and now Moi together into 12-16 oz of chocolate almond milk. The measurement of all three kavas altogether is about 1 tablespoon. (Definite lightweight) This is the medium grind not strained. I am waiting for my Aluball to arrive in the mail because I know it is better to strain it and I don't feel light doing the traditional prep. This mixture really helps with pain relief, stress relief, and keeps me from wanting to go to sleep. The drink seems to get stronger as the day goes on and I just sip it throughout the day. I will continue to order more and try out different kavas. I am so thankful that I could find a natural way to deal with these issues. Sometimes, I just hold a half teaspoon of a kava under my tongue until it dissolves and then spit out what is left. I will try instant and micro for that soon. But, this seems to work really well for me as well when I don't want to drink much liquid (besides water) and it works fairly quickly.
That's interesting, I've never tried that. I assume you are using an instant or micronized kava? Have you tried the Kava Candies? They work great in those situations.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you don't want to knead for 10 minutes, you could try the "blender method" which is quick. You might run into stomach problems (painful gas, etc.) if you don't strain.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
That's interesting, I've never tried that. I assume you are using an instant or micronized kava? Have you tried the Kava Candies? They work great in those situations.
I need to try the kava candies. Do they make you tired? Also, I will trying the instants and micros soon. Hopefully, they will be good and strong so I don't have to use too much.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
If you don't want to knead for 10 minutes, you could try the "blender method" which is quick. You might run into stomach problems (painful gas, etc.) if you don't strain.
Hopefully the Aluball works well and then I can just use that or stir in some instant or micro to make a quick drink.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If you're getting good effects from 1 single tablespoon, I imagine there is no kava product that you wouldn't consider good and strong. The puff of dust from sealing your bags might even get you a little buzzed. :D

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
If you're getting good effects from 1 single tablespoon, I imagine there is no kava product that you wouldn't consider good and strong. The puff of dust from sealing your bags might even get you a little buzzed. :D
This is true. I am being very wasteful. For now on I will keep my face close to the bag and inhale as I'm closing it. :)

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I need to try the kava candies. Do they make you tired? Also, I will trying the instants and micros soon. Hopefully, they will be good and strong so I don't have to use too much.
The Kava Candies are awesome and have never made me tired, just the opposite really. I think they are absolutely perfect for use at work. @Steve has really come up with a great product.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
So, both the Aluball and the Kava Candies are amazing. The Aluball helps me to strain my kava properly and is handy to take with me. The candies are very convenient and effective for day time. I love them both. The candies that I received are tangy orange flavored. Did someone say that there were chocolate candies as well?