What's new

Sticky residue on strainer bag???

doogalas

Kava Curious
I have used the same brand kava for a year... I just bought a finer micron nylon mesh bag at 55 micron. I am noticing this extremely sticky
residue on the bag after use. It doesn't appear to be melting the nylon or anything. I am pretty sure it is the kava itself. Am I wasting the good stuff?
Is 55 to small?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I have used the same brand kava for a year... I just bought a finer micron nylon mesh bag at 55 micron. I am noticing this extremely sticky
residue on the bag after use. It doesn't appear to be melting the nylon or anything. I am pretty sure it is the kava itself. Am I wasting the good stuff?
Is 55 to small?
Don't know if its too small; but I'd agree that its the kava itself (at least if its yellow).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is 55 to small?
55 micron may be too small since the majority of kavalactones won't pass through, sort of robbing you of what the kava has to offer you. 75-100 micron are better sizes. The sticky yellow stuff that builds up on the bag is Starch, rinse it in hot water with some dish detergent and it should help.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The true color of kava is lemon yellow with green overtones. Just means it is kava. Usually 75 micron is as low as people go (basically just a matter of taste), but if the grog is just as strong, there is really no concern. The preparation of grog by any method, any materials etc will, especially if it is decent kava, produce this gunk. Comes with the territory. It is a good thing.

doogalas

Kava Curious
The true color of kava is lemon yellow with green overtones. Just means it is kava. Usually 75 micron is as low as people go (basically just a matter of taste), but if the grog is just as strong, there is really no concern. The preparation of grog by any method, any materials etc will, especially if it is decent kava, produce this gunk. Comes with the territory. It is a good thing.
Thanks all for the replies. Strange, I have never had sticky kava before! I did taste the sticky residue on the bag and it numbed my mouth! Here is the other question. This particular kava literally smells of black pepper and cinnamon. Is that normal?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks all for the replies. Strange, I have never had sticky kava before! I did taste the sticky residue on the bag and it numbed my mouth! Here is the other question. This particular kava literally smells of black pepper and cinnamon. Is that normal?
Yup, kava and pepper are in the same family.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
It can be normal. Did you buy it from a vendor mentioned by forum members? If so, I wouldn't be worried. There is always, however, some possibility that you could've gotten adulterated kava. Nevertheless, hints of cinnamon and pepper don't sound outside the range of certain good kavas that I've drank.

doogalas

Kava Curious
Thanks recentreturn for the reply. Here is what I just wrote on a new thread...... It states where I got the kava. Are you familiar with them?

Well, I made a post early about concerns about this batch of kava I just got. 30lbs in fact. I previously ordered 20lbs from this company (Esutras Organics Also went/goes by the seller name of "tcbauerco" on ebay) and the kava was fine. It was not sticky, though very dark. They said it is the same batch but they are getting low. What I received is very fine grind. So maybe it is what fell to the bottom of their storage container hence the resinous residue left on the strainer bag? This new batch I have from them is extremely sticky on the strainer bag and my hands. Like tape residue in fact. Last year they sent me an analysis which stated it was noble from vanuatu.... though I have my doubts it was real. I have tried to contact them about the matter, but they have not replied because they have been busy with a recent company move. This new batch comes out more of a light brown yellow and smells strongly of cinnamon. I am very concerned it has been adulterated.

Last edited: