What's new

Kava Preparation Stoned Kava

Hi everyone! My first post here so before I get to the fun stuff I would like to say this is a really great forum and I think this is the best place to learn about Kava I've found and I want to thank you all for excellent info and the effort that goes into getting it here.So I would like to share a technique that I have been using for about two weeks now with great success.I don't know if this has been done before but I have never found anything like it posted anywhere.I used to tumble polish semi precious gemstones as a hobby.I don't use my tumblers much anymore and I hate to see good machinery collect dust so I decided to try an idea I had and the results are awesome.All I did was take my filter bag full of medium grind root and tossed it in the tumbler barrel with some pre-tumbled rocks,added some water and let them roll.The barrel I used contained powdered protein so I know it is food safe.It needs to be filled about half to three quarters to get good tumbling affect so the protein jar was perfect for the filter bag,rocks and 3 cups of water.The filter bag needs to be tough so I use mens nylon socks I get at Walmart.The rocks I use are very hard agates and jaspers.I put one cup of root in the sock and tie a knot at the end so the bag is long and thin to get the most contact area.On my next roll I might skip the bag and just dump the root in the water and see what happens.I set it up before I leave for work and by the time I get home that root is totally squeezed out.I just open the barrel and pour everything through my kitchen strainer to catch any rock chips but I haven't found any yet.The good part about this setup is there is no waste at all.After a few hours that root has nothing left to offer.Here is the setup,I hope I manage to post these pics right.

The barrel with rocks and sock.

Ready to roll.

I have tried a few different strains and they all came out great.I have a fresh batch of Stone waiting for me now so I'll be on my way.If anyone has questions I'll be more than happy to answer them before the Stone kicks in! Bula!

Mike

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Great idea; I really like that it might be scalable so you could, with enough muscle, prepare quite a lot of kava at once.

A most unique and excellent idea - thank you! Now please show us some pics of the kava and the residue.
I just chugged it!But I have another batch rolling now so I will post pics when done.The heavy sock contains it pretty well but the residue is very fine,like micronized sort of.the 3 to 1 ratio ends up kind of syrupy and needs be be watered down a little.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
You mentioned rock fragments, but are you concerned at all with dust? I dabble in lapidary as well and I know tumbling stones results in a fine dust from what's tumbled off the stone. I suppose if you're only getting a tiny amount it wouldn't be too bad, but I'd be worried about ingesting rock dust and having it block up the intestines over time. Maybe I'm a bit too OCD though, which is possible. ;)

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I love it!! This is a truly awesome idea, great ingenuity!

I've been trying to think of an automated way to make grog m'self.
My idea was to make a recirculating system, where one would put kava into a filter chamber, using a brass coffee
filter, and just have water (re)circulating through it.

Not sure that would work nearly as well though, since one of the main mechanisms of kavalactone extraction
is the physical squeezing of the root fibers, which my recirculation system would not do.

You tumble your grog all day. I wonder how long it really has to tumble? If the rocks are big enough, it probably only
really needs 30-60 minutes. Maybe less.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I really like this idea. I was thinking about rock fragments, but he did mention they had been polished already. That would help.

I would probably do a batch with no kava/ just water, to see what happened.

jw2112

Kava Curious
Could you get something like this an put a food grade used bin like protein powder on it?

Last edited: