What's new

Storing kava safely for long periods

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going away for a few months.

Opened kava I'm decanting into tupperware clip containers and popping a silica moisture absorbing thing in there. So air tight, but not an air free environment. Will this be OK?

Unopened @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava I'm just going to store in the gold bags (or vacuum packs from Henry). I will ask a flatmate to use the dehumidifier in my room to keep it from going swampy.
How does this sound?

It's winter here by the way. Not cold, but frequently damp though sometimes we can get very dry air.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'm going away for a few months.

Opened kava I'm decanting into tupperware clip containers and popping a silica moisture absorbing thing in there. So air tight, but not an air free environment. Will this be OK?

Unopened @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava I'm just going to store in the gold bags (or vacuum packs from Henry). I will ask a flatmate to use the dehumidifier in my room to keep it from going swampy.
How does this sound?

It's winter here by the way. Not cold, but frequently damp though sometimes we can get very dry air.
Sealed bags: storing them in a dark and cool place (e.g. cupboard or one of the bigger food grade containers from Warehouse) will be absolutely fine.

Opened kava: should be fine in a one of these food grade containers. But if you are worried, you can send it to me and I can either vacuum seal if for you or store it one of my smaller vacuum containers. :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Lol

For anyone who's never been to Wellington, check out this "documentary" ;)
I've seen the last few Taika Waititi movies, enjoyed 'em all. (y) Plus, Jemaine makes everything better.

Oh, and I always store my kava in bags, so I can puff the air out of them. Not sure how important that really is with something so dry though