What's new

Storm system could bring floods to Fiji

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
http://www.solomonstarnews.com/news...-limit-travel-as-tropical-depression-develops

Fiji authorities say there remains a possibility of a Tropical Cyclone forming at the end of this week in Fiji waters, advising the public to re-consider plans for travel and events this weekend.

A tropical disturbance which has been hovering off Fiji for the last few days has now developed into a tropical depression.

TD04F was about 220 kilometres west-south of Rotuma or about 560 kilometres north-northwest of Nadi at 1am local time.:(

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I only know that the system finally cleared from Fiji after about 3 or 4 days of steady downpours. Lots of flood damage but I don't think it was catastrophic thankfully.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Any updates on this?
There was localized flooding but nothing too serious. The worst damage was caused by landslides, with half a village and school wiped out. You can see that (Dreketi village and school) if you skip around this video:
My folks actually put a new roof on that school a few years ago with their Rotary Club, and I have relatives in that village. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt.

A few landslides in other places took out roads, and that'll take months to repair.

And finally, you'll all be glad to hear that this tropical depression did/will not have any impact on the kava industry.