What's new

Straining problems.....

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
Since receiving my second batch of hanky panky, I am having major problems straining. I use the same strainer mesh bag from bkh? One of the vendors not sure-anyways so this strainer bag is the same one I always use and have no problem usually. Well last night mixing up my first batch 6tbsp to 2 cups hot water and had a lot of difficulty actually squeezing it out and removing water from submerged root. My impatience caused me to just not make a big deal to get every drop because I save it for a future wash when i acquire a huge amount. Today I de died to use a large muslin bag I have to see if perhaps that bag is near the end of its squeezing days but the same problem. I end up with lots of water in the root inside the bag and it's almost impossible to squeeze. It's almost as if the root liquid is too thick to pass. I have not changed amounts or concentrations. So fellow kavateers, have u encountered this problem and if so, how to best remedy? Shall itry store bought pantyhose? I feel like those holes will be evn finer. I am ending up with a bubble that is super hard to squeeze. I am getting nice dark strong kava, but I know I am missing the best part by not squeezing it dry. Ideas? Thank u in advance. I suspect it may have something to do with the starches but have never encountered this issue before-happy weekend to all :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've never had that problem with medium grind. I have had it with boiled or micronized kava.

Best thing to do is twist it around so all the kava is at the bottom, then put the death grip on it.

I strain up to 12 tbsp medium grind like this.

K

Kava Steve

with Hanky you dont get mosh wet glob left over doing this? Hanky is the only one I experience it with.

also you can do a second wash with 1 cup water then mix it into your first wash, this is what I do when using a half cup of hanky this seems to go dry.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Chris has got to be running low on the hanky. I ordered my 2nd pound last week, and I know its been a big seller here too.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I have a few thoughts on this,
You stated you are using 6 tbsp per 2 cups of water which may be fine, I myself use a cup of water for every 2 tbsp...
Which means if I ever needed 6 tbsp of the hanky panky hair root, I would be using atleast 3 cups of water with it!
I noticed it does provide a nice darker,thicker creamy drink in the end...if I were you I would first start by washing you muslin/strainer bags...
inside and out, scrub them under hot water..I don't use soap but if there discolored there might be a build up of kavalcactones blocking the holes?
Either way, I think you should just "up" you water a bit!
It won't hurt anything, it will be slightly thinner, easier to pass through the filters for sure though...
That's just my thoughts :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I strain hanakapi 'ai and every other kava at a ratio of 6-12 tbsp root : 2.5 cups water. I've used finely woven Fijian cloth strainers, nylons and paint strainers. I have to adjust the kneading pressure accordingly, but I've never had any problem properly straining anything. My suggestion would be to just do it.
image.jpg
If there's liquid in your root, squeeze it out. (That's what she said)

Last edited:

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I have had this happen to me before while using a strainer that wasen't cloth...not sure what you would call it but its the ones that you buy from N@H...
They worked great for a week or two but even washing them out I would have a hard time getting any liquid to come through the strainer...
Regardless of how hard I squeezed! best bet is to get yourself a great strainer! I ordered a 5 pack from ebay for 4 bucks shipped..they were just muslin/milk bag type but they work awesome! never once had a problem with them :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
When I have straining problems I find it helps to increase the amount of fiber and liquids in my diet. (badum dum)

But seriously folks, this is what I do. Use 2 tablespoons of root in doubled nylon stockings per cup of hot water. Typically I'll use 8 tbs in 4 cups of water, and knead for about 10 minutes. At the end of that kneading, the water already contains a potent kava drink. I do give the nylons a final firm squeeze, to try to get everything I can out, but compared to the 4 cups already there, it is not much that dribbles out. And the root is still somewhat damp after the final squeeze; I think that is unavoidable.

And yes, I would highly recommend pantyhose. If your stomach is sensitive, double them up but that's not necessary. They are stretchy, which gives them a nice "squeezable" feeling, unlike things like muslin.

verticity

I'm interested in things
One more thing, when you say "hot water", are you actually boiling the water? Because that could certainly cause the effect you are describing. I just use the hot water from the tap which is about 120 F in my house, not boiling.

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks all-yes I think in retrospect my water may have been a tad more hot than I usually use. Update: celebrated second wash Sunday morning with the hardly squeezed out remains of a batch and it was just as potent. This was the "mosh" (ha) that was literally soaked even after sitting in the fridge overnight. It squeezed normally as usual and was dry and " crispy' letting me know its spent. The color was not that of a second wash but the rich extra muddy color hat we have come to associate with potent freshly squeezed kava. Fun began! Anywho, this issue has not happened again which leads me to believe I was using my water much too hot.

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
I don't test the temp of the water I just boil and wait until I can stick my finger in comfortably. I may have been hasty in my waiting time!