What's new

Tastes like liquid cocaine

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
Just prepared and tasted my first batch out of my Waka Kava that I recieved today... Tastes and feels like liquid cocaine.. Even numbs my throat Like Cocaine... Has anyone else had a similar experience?.... I drank about 10 ounces and I feel amped..

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Definitely reminds me of novocain from the dentist, so I could see the similarity. That mouth numbing. Kava definitely has it.

Edit: when extracts come back around (if/when) it's like placing pure Novocain in your mouth. Quite crazy.

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
Tastes exactly like some good ether based cocaine after i finished gulping and breathed through my nose...Wow...now I want some...crap!..lol

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That's weird, spiritdog. It shouldn't have an ether taste or smell. Something's up.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Just prepared and tasted my first batch out of my Waka Kava that I recieved today... Tastes and feels like liquid cocaine.. Even numbs my throat Like Cocaine... Has anyone else had a similar experience?.... I drank about 10 ounces and I feel amped..
lolol....that seems to be the trending first reactions we get when we introduce Kava to people in Florida about the smell and taste. Never had that first reaction given so frequently before living in Florida...why Florida??? Idk bc FLorida lol

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I've drank a lot of kava from many vendors. I've never had any that tasted anything other than dirt. Sometimes the kava dirt tastes worse than other kava dirt. I know @kavadude wasn't happy with his Watacon kava. He was calling it sawdust and could barely choke it down. Perhaps they accidentally shipped you their special "El Chapo" kava blend that they normally only send to their "most wanted" customers.

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
That's weird, spiritdog. It shouldn't have an ether taste or smell. Something's up.
Maybe they put a little coke in it to draw repeat business..lol...I will keep you posted on how it goes tonight..I drank 10 oz with 4 tbs...Do not feel any stomach upset.Feel pretty good..I made 20 oz with 8 tbs and drank 10 already about an hour or so ago...Is that sufficient time to see how it affects me before I try some more?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
lolol....that seems to be the trending first reactions we get when we introduce Kava to people in Florida about the smell and taste. Never had that first reaction given so frequently before living in Florida...why Florida??? Idk bc FLorida lol
I believe the term is "Florida Man"

But the ether taste/smell is what concerns me, I've had some nasty stuff before that reminded me of some sort of chemical.

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
I've drank a lot of kava from many vendors. I've never had any that tasted anything other than dirt. Sometimes the kava dirt tastes worse than other kava dirt. I know @kavadude wasn't happy with his Watacon kava. He was calling it sawdust and could barely choke it down. Perhaps they accidentally shipped you their special "El Chapo" kava blend that they normally only send to their "most wanted" customers.
Could be..lol

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
@Kapmcrunk is right about his concern about sketchy kava. There is a lot of it out there and I do not believe Watacon is known to be "noble". Kava tastes bad, but it never should taste like chemicals.

Overall, can you describe the "effects" this kava has had on you?

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
@Kapmcrunk is right about his concern about sketchy kava. There is a lot of it out there and I do not believe Watacon is known to be "noble". Kava tastes bad, but it never should taste like chemicals.
Well I just drank some more and it most def taste like coke...It was the most purchased and reviewed kava on Amazon..I appreciate your concern but I guess I will be a lab rat..

Spiritdog

Kava Curious

Overall, can you describe the "effects" this kava has had on you?
Sure...nothing big so far...kind of like a mild caffeine buzz but soft around the edges..alert but relaxed..but not sleepy in the least..but kind of zoned out.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
So what is a good potent but safe brand then for my next try?
Give this a try. Usually everyone likes it. Kalm With Kava Fiji Loa Waka. Here is the link:
https://kalmwithkava.com/shop/fiji-loa-waka-kava/

Or if you prefer micronized, you can get it that way:
https://kalmwithkava.com/shop/micronized-kava/

Edit: I just checked Gourmet Hawaiian Kava web site and Chris is offering a new kava with the exact same chemotype as the KWK Fiji Loa Waka. I've never tried it, but I think I'm going to order some now. Usually GHK has great kava, and Chris grows it himself.
http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/product/panaewa-medium-grind/

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Ahh didn't know that. That would explain it for sure. Anyway, thanks to our conversation I just ordered some @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Pana'Ewa. I like his kava, and when fresh can taste better than most. He harvested this kava in mid November so it should taste pretty good. Looking forward to it. IMO you cannot get better kavas or a better variety than from GHK.

Edit: I'll tell you of another kava that is underrated but still quite good. Its @Squanch72 Waka. You can get it here: http://www.squanchkava.com/Default.asp
Not only is it a very good & heady kava, its also one of the most economical kavas. I have probably ordered more from Squanch than any other vendor.

Last edited:

Spiritdog

Kava Curious
Ahh didn't know that. That would explain it for sure. Anyway, thanks to our conversation I just ordered some @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Pana'Ewa. I like his kava, and when fresh can taste better than most. He harvested this kava in mid November so it should taste pretty good. Looking forward to it. IMO you cannot get better kavas or a better variety than from GHK.

Edit: I'll tell you of another kava that is underrated but still quite good. Its @Squanch72 Waka. You can get it here: http://www.squanchkava.com/Default.asp
Not only is it a very good & heady kava, its also one of the most economical kavas. I have probably ordered more from Squanch than any other vendor.
OMG I am high as a kite on kava.... Being a trained chef and working in the fragrance development industry for my Superior olfactory sense... I think that may be what others say taste like dirt to them taste different to me because I have a super sensitive palate and I can identify the kerosene smell and flavor but to others it just tastes like dirt... Nevertheless I am stoked I got up this morning and started my preparation using my excellent attention to detail and made an awesome bach that makes me feel like I have taken some Adderall and some Oxy Cotton... I am stoked.... It even gives me the urge to go to the bathroom like an amphetamine does wow can't believe this is legal