What's new

Kava Fact of the Day The bacterial content in kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The bacterial content in kava.

Today’s fact of the day will be covering the typical bacteria content in fresh kava. We see questions such as “How long is my prepared kava good if it’s left out at room temperature?” and “how long does kava stay good in the refrigerator?” There is unfounded thought that kava itself is antimicrobial. It is becoming clear, however, that this is not the case.

In 2009 researchers set out to identify the types of bacteria found in fresh kava, specifically they used DNA sequencing to find the closest match to the bacterial DNA they found in the kava [1]. Table 3 below gives the results of this study in relation to the types of bacteria found in fresh Hawaiian kava. It’s important to stress here that this is a list of all types found, not amounts.

As you can see, kava is a source of quite a wide range of bacteria. These bacteria are normally found in the soil and it makes sense that we’re finding them in a product which was produced and removed from that very soil. These bacteria are important to plant growth and promote nitrogen fixing to the roots [2]. Of the bacterium listed, there are pathogenic and non-pathogenic types [3]. We, as well as kava vendors, and exporters themselves keep an eye on these pathogenic types of bacteria. Attached is a blank COA result showing the types of bacteria normally checked for during a routine kava analysis.

Pathogenic bacteria are accounted for in kavas, however it doesn’t mean the amount is zero, just as with any natural product. When kava is reconstituted (mixed with water), these bacteria become viable, and begin multiplying. With a food product, at room temperature, some unsafe bacteria is said to double every 20 minutes [4] . It is only a matter of time before these levels reach an unsafe amount. While there is always room for discussion, a safe rule of thumb is to never leave kava out at room temperature for more than half a day. Sour flavor tends to develop after this time frame and you begin to approach possibly unsafe levels of some types of pathogenic bacteria.

For refrigerated prepared kava a time frame of 2-3 days is generally seen before the sour flavor develops; however the bacterial content will be much lower due to the reduced temperatures.

Summary: If you want to keep your prepared kava, put it in a container and keep it in the fridge. If you haven’t consumed it in 3 days, it’s time to make more.

[1] Kandukuru, P., A. S. Huang, J. Dong, H. C. Bittenbender, and Y. Li. 2009. “Rapid Identification of Bacterial Isolates from Aqueous Kava (Piper Methysticum) Extracts by Polymerase Chain Reaction and DNA Sequencing.” Letters in Applied Microbiology 49 (6): 764–68.
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2009.02739.x.
https://sci-hub.st/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2009.02739.x

[2] Hayat, Rifat, Safdar Ali, Ummay Amara, Rabia Khalid, and Iftikhar Ahmed. 2010. “Soil Beneficial Bacteria and Their Role in Plant Growth Promotion: A Review.” Annals of Microbiology 60 (4): 579–98.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13213-010-0117-1.
https://sci-hub.st/10.1007/s13213-010-0117-1

[3] Pigłowski, Marcin. 2019. “Pathogenic and Non-Pathogenic Microorganisms in the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16 (3).
https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16030477.

[4] Bacteria—Growth of bacterial populations. (n.d.). Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved May 24, 2021, from https://www.britannica.com/science/bacteria

Will pasteurization potentially kill any beneficial bacteria in the fresh kava if one were to bottle and preserve the kava using refrigeration? Assuming there are good bacteria in kava since I don’t know.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Will pasteurization potentially kill any beneficial bacteria in the fresh kava if one were to bottle and preserve the kava using refrigeration? Assuming there are good bacteria in kava since I don’t know.
Yes, pasteurization will kill off good and bad bacteria. There are only two type of bacteria in that table that are beneficial

These are:

Enterococcus casseliflavus
and
Lactococcus lactis

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes, pasteurization will kill off good and bad bacteria. There are only two type of bacteria in that table that are beneficial

These are:

Enterococcus casseliflavus
and
Lactococcus lactis
I do believe that how kava is cleaned makes a difference.
The paper by Showman discusses this although not the easiest to understand.
Here is a cut and paste of the portions of that paper that discuss this.
I remember hearing that the late Jerry Konanui w/ Association for Hawaiian 'Awa
method for washing had some interesting results.

3.4.1. Archaea and bacteria taxon richness at the phylum level between kava cultivars with and without pre-ingestion washing protocols.............................................................................. 51

3.4.2. Whole Microbiome Analysis.............................................................................................. 59

3.4.3.Washing separates OTUs..................................................................................................... 67

3.4.4. Analysis of gut-associated bacteria with washed and unwashed Papa kea samples...... 75

3.4.5. Analysis of probiotic and pathogen content of washed and unwashed Papa kea samples.......................................................................................................................................................... 78

3.4.6. Comparison between Hanakapi‘ai root samples and bulk soil........................................ 80

3.4.7. Comparison between Papa ‘ele ‘ele roots and bulk soil................................................... 91

3.4.8. Differences between Hanakapi‘ai and Papa ‘ele ‘ele family relative abundances

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

3.4.1. Archaea and bacteria taxon richness at the phylum level between kava cultivars with and without pre-ingestion washing protocols.............................................................................. 51

3.4.2. Whole Microbiome Analysis.............................................................................................. 59

3.4.3.Washing separates OTUs..................................................................................................... 67

3.4.4. Analysis of gut-associated bacteria with washed and unwashed Papa kea samples...... 75

3.4.5. Analysis of probiotic and pathogen content of washed and unwashed Papa kea samples.......................................................................................................................................................... 78

3.4.6. Comparison between Hanakapi‘ai root samples and bulk soil........................................ 80

3.4.7. Comparison between Papa ‘ele ‘ele roots and bulk soil................................................... 91

3.4.8. Differences between Hanakapi‘ai and Papa ‘ele ‘ele family relative abundances
I'll definitely take a closer look at this source, Alia. It's a daunting one, but obviously this study takes the time to delve into specifically what we're talking about here. Looks like it may be time for me to get a bit better acquainted with microbiology.

Kava extract will most likely remove most of the bacteria as well, I guess this gives merit to the content of traditional prep kava for its nutritional value, or as I like to call it full spectrum kava

Jacob Bula

Nobody
As an anecdote, I've risked drinking kava left out overnight multiple times and felt fine afterwards. I also eat pizza that's been left out overnight, and have eaten leftovers 4 or 5 days after they have sat in the fridge. Is this best practice, no-- there is a risk of getting really sick; however, if your immune system is in good shape, you will probably be okay.

where can I find this paper?

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
But what about exposure to air and sunlight?
And that the root is grinded.

Does that also have a influence on the decay ?

And other plants that cames from and close to earth like taro, how long shelf life does taro have?

Jean

Kava Curious
Should we expect different results according to the way of preparation (hand made with strainer or made in a blender) ? I've noticed that with a blender you obtain after a few hours a kind of jelly, the mixing seems to break the fibers and liberate polysaccharides (or cellulose derivatives) that solubilize slowly in water. Are those polysaccharides additional foodstuff for the barcteria, i.e., it is expected that a kava drink obtained with a blender is more likely to have a shorter shelf life ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Should we expect different results according to the way of preparation (hand made with strainer or made in a blender) ? I've noticed that with a blender you obtain after a few hours a kind of jelly, the mixing seems to break the fibers and liberate polysaccharides (or cellulose derivatives) that solubilize slowly in water. Are those polysaccharides additional foodstuff for the barcteria, i.e., it is expected that a kava drink obtained with a blender is more likely to have a shorter shelf life ?
Good question.

Are those polysaccharides additional foodstuff for the barcteria
Yes, they are.

it is expected that a kava drink obtained with a blender is more likely to have a shorter shelf life ?
This one I'm not 100% sure on. Bacteria and fungi in kava live primarily in the peelings and outer parts of the plant, however bacteria have been found deep into the plant tissue, so I would give this a solid "Maybe" :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
But what about exposure to air and sunlight?
And that the root is grinded.

Does that also have a influence on the decay ?
Exposure to sunlight and oxygen can kill off certain types of bacteria however the ones which generally cause problems for us can live pretty much wherever.

The grind will have no impact on the bacteria/yeast/fungal content of kava.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I have always wondered this. I tend to drink my Kava prepped in under an hour. I think it's a matter of the bacterial load. The dosage is the poison.

KavaKween

Kava Curious
Uh-oh! I've found kava brews usually become more potent the longer they sit in the fridge- sometimes much more potent. Never kept it longer than 4 days, though. Lol, maybe the bacteria helps. Fortunately, I haven't experienced any related stomach issues...so far