What's new

The Current Vanuatu kava situation - Drinking Noble isn't as easy as we thought...

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-safety-of-kava-how-to-test-yours.2576/#post-32224

I'd never thoroughly read the above until now, this is a major problem. I can only imagine how confusing it must be to the average person coming here seeking information on kava in hopes of help. I've been in the Health/Nutrition field over 15 years and it has taken quite some time viewing the forum to become privy to the various issues surrounding kava. It is sad but I could see why some viewing the forum would think forget this, there is just too much hassle, time, and shady dealings involved with kava
You guys have been very informal don't sell yourselves short. We are all in this together as a community, no?

Guys, I am currently up to my eyes with work. I haven't had time to come on here and read properly about what is going on, as far as I know every sample I sent Deleted User was fine. I'm sorry I can't get more time right now to discuss this topic. If ANYONE has any info they think I should see or has something really important to talk to me about please email me at [email protected] as I will see the email the same day, I don't always get to come on the forum these days but hopefully will in the coming weeks.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Deleted User All of the information lines up: Vanuatu kava is largely adulterated with tuday.[/QUOTE]
Good points, but it's probably worth qualifying one statement by saying that Vanuatu kava specifically grown for export is largely adulterated with tudei, ie. not all Vanuatu kava.
As we know, tudei is rarely found being consumed domestically, and kava grown for village use or domestic sale all over the country is not tudei. This domestic market is still much bigger than the foreign export market.
Also, there are few "farms" as such - kava is generally grown over a large area of mainly undeveloped land, interspersed with other crops, often with different kava plants belonging to different people all mixed up, with ownership only known by the people involved. An individual grower may have 1000 5 year old plants, but spread over several kilometers of bush track way up in the hills away from the coastal roads. Only more recently (2000+) commercial planting resembling more of a farm has become more prevalent, particularly on Pentecost & Santo.

Frankie808

Kava Curious
Aloha from hawaii ! This thread sheds a huge light on a lot of truth. Thanks Deleted User for a great write up! If a consumer complains of a "bad batch" then everyone up the chain is responsible. It means that everyone on every level is either ignorant or greedy. Each level should be responsible for assuring a good product before handing off to the next level. I agree with Deleted User. Our buying power is our ultimate power. When we threatened to take our business else where they moved mountains to keep us happy.
Yes they are poor farmers trying to make a living but if their only means of living threatens to leave….They'll move mountains.