What's new

Kava Preparation The krunk monster

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Sweet Jesus. I tried boiling kava today, following @gourmethawaiinkava and oh sweet Jesus. I feel like the krunk monster just beat me with concreted rebar. After several drinks today, I decided to try his method. I put two cups of water to roughly 5 tbsp of a mixture of KWK Borogu, Pouni Ono, and Vula into my small sauce pan. I turned the heat on high until I got the volcano bubbles and then lowered it to around medium while it boiled for approximately 5 minutes. After, I added 3/4 cups of water and stirred. Then I proceeded to strain through one of my KWK strainers (which was quite hard, took about 10-15 minutes in total) and got ALOT of slimy stuff all over my hands and a small container full of it that had a beautiful sheen over top along with drops from the KLs slime (which looked pretty cool). I then preceded to mix the bowl of kava I had made before that with this mixture so I wouldnt have to bear that slimy ass soup and added 1/4 cup of sugar to dull the taste down a bit. This method is quite......potent. Im thoroughly surprised I can type but then again I havent finished it.....yet....

Attachments

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Yea it's a fairly potent way of making Kava, the taste is awful though! I still make Kava that way on occasion. Straining is the only thing worse than the taste though lol. I'm sure heat does kill kavalactones. But as long as it's not boiling very long and the temp is quickly brought back down, the strength of the grog that was brought out outweighs the difference in lost kavalactones, at least in my experience. I don't ever bring it to a full boil though, and stir the entire time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yea it's a fairly potent way of making Kava, the taste is awful though! I still make Kava that way on occasion. Straining is the only thing worse than the taste though lol. I'm sure heat does kill kavalactones. But as long as it's not boiling very long and the temp is quickly brought back down, the strength of the grog that was brought out outweighs the difference in lost kavalactones, at least in my experience. I don't ever bring it to a full boil though, and stir the entire time.
I suspect that of the 18 known KLs they have different vulnerabilities to destruction or transformation by heat. It could be that by destroying some but not all of the types of KLs present in a particular grind the resultant drink might change the focus that the grind would otherwise have. Just guessing.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I suspect that of the 18 known KLs they have different vulnerabilities to destruction or transformation by heat. It could be that by destroying some but not all of the types of KLs present in a particular grind the resultant drink might change the focus that the grind would otherwise have. Just guessing.
That very well may be true. There's still a lot of information to be found about Kava in all aspects. Small organizations can only do so much as far as time is concerned. The longer I consume and learn about Kava, the more fascinated I become.