What's new

The Return Of The Mack..... I Mean TK

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
From Chris' Fresh Harvest Newsletter -
True Kava
We called True Kava to get a status report. Deleted User is the owner of True Kava and said that he had just finished doing 128 tests on samples provided by Dr. Mathias Schmidt. We pressed him on why more Vendor Kava Tests had not been posted and he admitted to getting behind in his work due to the passing of both his parents and other personal and business matters that converged upon him and all at the same time. However, he gave us a bright outlook for the future. He outlined a new expansion plan and promised to let us post the details as soon as the plan was finalized.

D

Deleted User01

It's good that TD is back so we can get some updated tests and calm some of the vendors. @Sam Handwich, you have been doing a good job of testing. I think you could probably start a Web Site for that. An informal web site that just shows pretty pictures but doesn't pass judgement. You lobby the vendors to send you "free kava" in 1/2 pound increments, you test it, and you might even review it but it has to be about the testing and not the adjectives. Perhaps @verticity could think about that too. Just don't let the free kava cloud your judgement. Do the tests, post the results, and let us pass judgement. You're in the clear and with plenty of left over kava for your trouble .... though I know it probably doesn't come close to paying for your time. @verticity, is there a cheap way to assign a numeric value to a colored solution? Is that what a spectrometer does? I'm a math guy, not a physical science guy but I'm willing to learn.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
@Deleted User01, In light of recent conversations regarding my last test I'm thinking that I won't post the photos anymore. It's too easy to let opinions that can not be scientifically validated run away and potentially damage the reputation of a vendor. I like doing the tests and will continue to do so for myself but until we have some color comparison cards it's really hard for an amateur like me to post an accurate test. That's what TK is for.

verticity

I'm interested in things
... @verticity, is there a cheap way to assign a numeric value to a colored solution? Is that what a spectrometer does? I'm a math guy, not a physical science guy but I'm willing to learn.
Yes that's what a spectrometer does. You can get one for 500 bucks. My software for turning the spectrum into a number is free.

D

Deleted User01

@Deleted User01, In light of recent conversations regarding my last test I'm thinking that I won't post the photos anymore. It's too easy to let opinions that can not be scientifically validated run away and potentially damage the reputation of a vendor. I like doing the tests and will continue to do so for myself but until we have some color comparison cards it's really hard for an amateur like me to post an accurate test. That's what TK is for.
@Sam Handwich, I hear ya, that's why I said we couldn't pass judgement. But it might be a dangerous game as you mentioned.
@verticity, do you have a spectrometer or access to one? Maybe your science lab needs one? I know that you and Headgie were talking about doing Kava testing at one time or another.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Sam Handwich, I hear ya, that's why I said we couldn't pass judgement. But it might be a dangerous game as you mentioned.
@verticity, do you have a spectrometer or access to one? Maybe your science lab needs one? I know that you and Headgie were talking about doing Kava testing at one time or another.
I don't have a spectrometer. I might buy one at some point.

D

Deleted User01

I googled cheap spectrometer and there was even one that said Smart Phone for 80 bucks. Not sure if it would be worth a damn or not.

D

Deleted User01

that is a nice one. When they show you all the graphs, then it must be a serious device. Not bad for 399. If I had the time, I think I would buy one and become a hobbyist tester. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for starting World War III. A secretive hobbyist tester. :cool:

verticity

I'm interested in things
that is a nice one. When they show you all the graphs, then it must be a serious device. Not bad for 399. If I had the time, I think I would buy one and become a hobbyist tester. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for starting World War III. A secretive hobbyist tester. :cool:
Yeah, totally, graphs always mean it's legit. :hilarious: But what really indicates it is a good product is the pictures of smart-looking kids wearing safety goggles and lab coats.
Probably best to be on the safe side, though, because those can also be used to refine uranium. (No, they can't)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm willing to buy a uv to ir spectro if I can figure out how to prepare the test samples. But so far no luck.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm willing to buy a uv to ir spectro if I can figure out how to prepare the test samples. But so far no luck.
UV: prepare the same way as for the acetone test, but use spectroscopic grade ethanol instead of acetone, and use a cuvette that is suitable for the UV.
IR reflectance: In these studies they actually reflect IR light off a sample of kava powder. No solvent is used. I have never used an IR reflectance spectrometer, but I assume it has some place where you stick the sample.
(That's what she said)
Do ya feel lucky? Do ya?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
UV: prepare the same way as for the acetone test, but use spectroscopic grade ethanol instead of acetone, and use a cuvette that is suitable for the UV.
IR reflectance: In these studies they actually reflect IR light off a sample of kava powder. No solvent is used. I have never used an IR reflectance spectrometer, but I assume it has some place where you stick the sample.
(That's what she said)
Do ya feel lucky? Do ya?
maybe? http://oceanoptics.com/product/flame-bundle-reflectance/