What's new

The Truth About Kava and Hangovers

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
This is an open discussion. Please share your thoughts on kava hangovers. (And try not to call them krunkovers please.) Do you get them? Do you not get them? Do you get them with just some cultivars? I am just looking for a rolling conversation about negative effects the next day.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
By the way, I am a few weeks in. I am sticking to two to four teaspoons of micro in that many shells. I have yet to wake up feeling fresh, just dull.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I get no Kava Hangovers but I keep my dosage to 2/3 tablespoons. I also take my in the afternoon so it has plenty of time to wear down before I go to sleep.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I will sometimes get a mild headache and a lethargic feeling the next day after consuming kava the night before. It might be what is called a kava 'hangover' but I suspect it has more to do from a lack of sleep and dehydration. I like the buzz from headier varieties, but they also affect sleep patterns...nothing like an alcohol hangover.

Bert07

Me like da kava
The one possibly undesirable after effect I get the next morning is bed lock. Especially with Stone, I could literally sleep the entire day away after a heavy night of it.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Bed lock, that's a perfect phrase for how I feel. I normally drink really late, though. I'll start at 10 or 11PM and end around 1ish. I'm always amazed because I don't wake up for ANYTHING. Easily the best sleep aid I've ever had, haha. Just a side benefit. Of course, it turns into NOT a benefit once I want to get up and I'm too lazy...

I get BAD stomach issues all the next day if I overdo it. Otherwise I feel great the day after a kava sesh, provided I get enough sleep and respect my limits. Almost like an antidepressant effect, especially by the afternoon it's smooooth sailing for me. Since I started drinking kava regularly I've found myself way less irritable and stressed in the days following.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The one possibly undesirable after effect I get the next morning is bed lock. Especially with Stone, I could literally sleep the entire day away after a heavy night of it.
I think bedlock is a pretty good term for it. Once I get up and going, I feel pretty good and not foggy or anything. But man can I sit in bed like a pro for 30 minutes after a lot of kava usage.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Recently I started mixing a little ginger ale with my grog on ice. I sip rather than chug. The sweetness counteracts the bitter kava taste and the ginger helps ease the stomach. Doesn't prevent the gas release through the next day though.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
If I drink a variety for several days that has high amounts of dhk/dhm, I'll feel amotivated and heavy all the time. I personally believe those kavalactones build up in my system if I continually drink heavier varieties.

Also I get dry. It even feels like my brain gets dry, if I drink it daily. Headaches, laziness and dry skin for me, after about a a week of daily drinking. I drink maybe 30-40 grams a day. And yes, I know I don't drink enough water.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I only drink a cup or two at most at night. I generally feel cool and fresh the next day.

I get more of a hangover from certain chamomile/herb combo teas, which make me feel "overheated" the next day something.

A

Adriano

For me it often depends on what kind of kava I am drinking. I recently tried the bkh samoan which is good but gives me a hangovery feeling the next day every time. So now I mix it with other blends that I find do not. I also stopped drinking it every day. I always skip at least one day before having kava which helps me not get those horrible skin, nose, lips etc. conditions.oo

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I only drink a cup or two at most at night. I generally feel cool and fresh the next day.

I get more of a hangover from certain chamomile/herb combo teas, which make me feel "overheated" the next day something.
I would love that, a big teaspoon in each cup, 1-3 cups. I want as little as possible in my system.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I don't really get them from GHK kava so I've switched to that mostly. If I do get it from GHK products it is mild and only lasts about 30 minutes after I wake up.

Maria

ScaryMary
It definitely depends on amount you drink :dead:... my 6.5 cups last night wasn't a good idea... oh wasn't... (even if drank for 5 hours)
I bet body weight does matter too. I'm a 5ft8" and 124Ib girl.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
The only trouble I've ever had is either after wayyyy overdoing it the night before, or drinking
a dkm-ish strain (like Stone, Chief's jungle, etc.), but even in those cases the next-morning issues are mild.
I never have gotten bed-lock, just a little groggy for a while... but I can get a somewhat unhappy stomach for the
morning. Once I have some breakfast I'm fine. Never had a headache (from kava) either.

I always chase each shell with a few schlooks of plain water. Helps keep hydrated, and also flushes
out the ass-awful taste. A thin slice of fresh ginger root after each shell keeps the stomach pretty
happy too.

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
I have found as long as I don't have a nitecap, that is, none at least 2 hours before bed, no hangover for me. Seems the morning lag or grogginess happens if I have even 1 shell too close to sleepy time. Generally drink multiple shells late afternoon/early evening no problems. Drink daily, just noble of course.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
While I think night is great for kava, perhaps it should be done early enough that people can get some tee back in their system before going to sleep. A lot of this is about water balance. Not all, though. I am big into ginger with kava.