What's new

These are good replacements for traditional coconut shells.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Half Pint canning jars are awesome: Kerr, Ball, etc... I used to use them for mycological purposes. You can get a 12 pack for around $8-$9. Had some laying around and the thought came to me to use them for kava shells. I haven't looked back since. Easy to clean, easy to slam. Bula!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Half Pint canning jars are awesome: Kerr, Ball, etc... I used to use them for mycological purposes. You can get a 12 pack for around $8-$9. Had some laying around and the thought came to me to use them for kava shells. I haven't looked back since. Easy to clean, easy to slam. Bula!
I've had & used, on and off, a pint mug my sister brought me back from Hawaii, since the beginning of my kava drinking days. But the nearest clean drinking vessel will do all the same.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Those mini jars are great for curing smaller bits and bobs, when a full 1 litre jar isn't justified, i.e. too much airspace. Not sure it appeals to myself as a shell though.

I just like a simple standard clean small kitchen glass mostly.

KWK kkndly sent me a little shell from some non-coconut origin. But I never got on with it. My OCD likes eveness, symmetry, also marking free. Just me though of course....

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I've had & used, on and off, a pint mug my sister brought me back from Hawaii, since the beginning of my kava drinking days. But the nearest clean drinking vessel will do all the same.
Yeah but Krunky, as per your own reports, when you crack open a fresh pound, you can be one hardcore Kava drinker by my estimate.

I am sitting at 50 to 60 grams max currently. 70 grams would be unrequired for me at the moment. But edible MJ plus more does potentiate my kava quite a lot.

However, those factors removed, I'm not sure I could run through a Ib as rapidly as yourself fairplay.

Oh, my point I lost lol....I can see how a pint glass could be quite appropriate for your own level of consumption, and I know you like to make some super concentrated Kava as well.

Just 3 diffs tonight- 26 grams WoW, 13 grams KT Savusavu, 13 grams Kelai. Nice even balance.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Salsa molcajetes make great substitutes for shells. They've even got legs so they don't tip over. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molcajete

Though if your shells like to roll around, you can always stick them inside tuna fish cans.
As a lover of mexican food, be careful with the molcajete idea. The good ones are made from porous lava rock, while the crappy ones are made from concrete and lava rock. For kava, it's probably best to get those super cheap mini plastic ones. You'd end up losing a lot of kava using a real one!

Oh, and I've been drinking out of these little mason jars for years. Helps keep my shells consistent throughout the night.