What's new

These makas have had a good life. But what now ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
These makas have been through a lot : First they went through 3 washes in the Aluball. Then they went through the blender.
Then they went through a metal cooking strainer. Then they were kneaded in a cheesecloth.
Then they were boiled for about 10 minutes. Then strained again.

They have lived a rich, full, and productive life.
So, what would be the respectable and proper burial for them ?
Perhaps as a soil fertilizer ?
Or could I sell it back or donate it, to where all the vendors they came from, like Kavafied, KWK, GHK, etc ?
It just doesn't feel "right", throwing them away.

image000000(6).jpg

Last edited:

Nirad

Kava Curious
I would think after decomposition it would provide something, I throw my makas when I am up north into my mom's flower beds and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. It also readily seems to decompose so even if it doesn't provide much it is rather benign.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm I chuck mine in the various worm farms around the garden... I'm starting to think this might not be the best idea?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Makas is compostable.
I just read something kind of disturbing ; that compost has a high likelihood of containing harmful pathogens, including E. Coli & Salmonella

"Composting produces a few organisms, particularly a mold called Aspergillus fumigatus (see picture above), which can cause a variety of mostly respiratory diseases grouped under the title Aspergillosis. These can be actual infections, usually in the lungs, or allergic reactions which cause asthma, and they range from troublesome to deadly. "

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I just read something kind of disturbing ; that compost has a high likelihood of containing harmful pathogens, including E. Coli & Salmonella

"Composting produces a few organisms, particularly a mold called Aspergillus fumigatus (see picture above), which can cause a variety of mostly respiratory diseases grouped under the title Aspergillosis. These can be actual infections, usually in the lungs, or allergic reactions which cause asthma, and they range from troublesome to deadly. "

In that case wouldn't it be better to compost first and then once it's fully broken down, put it with soil for plants. I met a rancher once who would compost horse manure more quickly by putting it in plastic garbage bags in the Arizona sun for a two weeks. That would also kill any remaining grass seed. Oh, if only kava had seeds! One can dream.