What's new

This is going to get expensive. Any tips?

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
So I ordered my pack of Nangol Noble a week or 2 ago. It's great stuff. Last Saturday I mixed it up nice and strong and enjoyed it for hoooours and hours. Problem is, after 2 evenings of indulging, I've used a little more than half my bag. Figure I spent 28 bucks after shipping for a half pound of Nangol Noble.
I'm going to try and keep it to once per week as like my Saturday evening chill routine. However, it sucks not being able to enjoy it more often.

Now, I did not wash or re-use in any way, so after reading I've figured out that I am probably wasting some pretty good stuff although after kneading for 8-12 minutes it feels like there isnt much left in the root powder to extract. Still, would it be worth a re-wash?

I'm also considering some less expensive alternatives for sporadic use here and there. BKH obviously sells a great quality product and were money no object I'd never bother to order from anywhere else. Now that I've started with the Nangol Noble which has the reputation for being the top dog in terms of strength I doubt I'd wanna step down. However, reality is what it is so I've been scouring to see what other products are out there. I'm even open to the 20 something dollar a pound root I see on Amazon IF it works. I understand it may be tudei but I have to admit I am willing to take the risk if it chills me out. I need the stress relief. I'm a thinker, a worrier. Add to that, I'm a service writer and if any of you have ever been in the business or know anyone who has been it's STRESSFUL. Being able to come home, knead a batch of grog, relax, leave work behind, play a good game and sleep a good 8 hours is AMAZING. I also lately have been struggling with super high anxiety about life and death in general. Kava is a lifesaver.

I dont drink alcohol anymore, havent for over 5 years and never intend to again so Im not too worried about my liver. I also notice that I have to take less headache meds since the Kava seems to have helped a LOT with reducing stress that causes them. SO Im not that worried about my liver since my use would be light. At most 3 days a week, probably only 2. At this rate, with the Nangol Noble as pricey as it is it'd stay at one use per week.

So, tips? Re-wash? Micro? (I've heard some say it can be a little less pricey overall). Less expensive kinds? Or just man up and pay the piper and limit use?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
First of all Congratz on giving up booze, I did the same thing about 9 months ago (along with some other substances). I would definitely recommend 2 washes, some kavas you can even get three washes out of, like Squanch's kava, which is my go to root, he has a Waka that will blow your socks off! ;)

Kava from Amazon, personally I only buy KWK which is another winner!

EDIT: One other kava that consistently blows my mind is Luna Kava Borogu (drinking it now) like the others I recommended, they are very affordable. :)

Last edited:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Keep an eye out for the forum member deals that some of the vendors post on here from time to time then stock up. KWK and NAH are both running some deals right now. I feel for ya man, I've been a service advisor in the past...would never do it again.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
First of all Congratz on giving up booze, I did the same thing about 9 months ago (along with some other substances). I would definitely recommend 2 washes, some kavas you can even get three washes out of, like Squanch's kava, which is my go to root, he has a Waka that will blow your socks off! My signature links to his website (I don't get anything out of it) I recommend it because I love it, ;)

Kava from Amazon, personally I only buy KWK which is another winner!

EDIT: One other kava that consistently blows my mind is Luna Kava Borogu (drinking it now) like the others I recommended, they are very affordable. :)
Thanks for the tip. I'm checking out some of the options and overall the high quality stuff all seems to run in the same price range, right around $50 a pound.

I'm definitely going to start re-washing.

I'll say this, after many years of being dry - i feel so much better NOT drinking. I'd never wanna go back to it. However, there are times I desperately miss how good alcohol could make me feel, it brought the thoughts down to a crawl if I wanted it to. I always woke up feeling like crap and the nights I drank too much I'd wake up feeling guilty. Kava doesnt do that to me but makes me feel almost as good as I remember booze.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Keep an eye out for the forum member deals that some of the vendors post on here from time to time then stock up. KWK and NAH are both running some deals right now. I feel for ya man, I've been a service advisor in the past...would never do it again.
Thanks man.

I'll be an advisor till I retire or die of a heart attack. I spent years in another field and finally decided it was time for a change. I actually LIKE what I do for the most part, but man, hitting those quotas can be gnarly when business is slow, keeping techs happy is impossible, and being constantly blindsided no matter how well prepared you are is brutal. I walk out of work almost every day with my eyes wide and my stomach in my chest. Wrong part. Oh, customer decided to come back and pick up the car without mentioning it? Whoops, tech misdiagnosed the problem. Hey, you're not on the schedule.......but, um, suuuure we can work you in...Oh you're going to do the brakes yourself that have ONE 32nd? Why yes, we DID just sell you those tires 15k ago at which point you declined an alignment. No boss, they didnt buy the 30k, it's a lease, they arent worried about maintenance. And on and on and on. It's a rough gig.

But, even with the stress, I choose it. Because apart from all the craziness it's actually a lot of fun, too. Especially now that I'm at an aftermarket shop. CSI doesnt count for a huge chunk of my check.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Extract as much money out of the customer as possible while keeping them extremely happy....OR ELSE!!!

I'm glad you've found kava, there are many alcoholics in the automotive world who would benifit from the root.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the tip. I'm checking out some of the options and overall the high quality stuff all seems to run in the same price range, right around $50 a pound.

I'm definitely going to start re-washing.

I'll say this, after many years of being dry - i feel so much better NOT drinking. I'd never wanna go back to it. However, there are times I desperately miss how good alcohol could make me feel, it brought the thoughts down to a crawl if I wanted it to. I always woke up feeling like crap and the nights I drank too much I'd wake up feeling guilty. Kava doesnt do that to me but makes me feel almost as good as I remember booze.
I can only imagine what that 5 year mark will be like for me, I have had days and nights that I felt just like you described, I want to shut my brain off, I am one of those people that thrives in a fast paced environment but at the end of the day or week, I am only human and sometimes I get overwhelmed.
the BKH you mentioned certainly does an excellent job at quieting my thoughts, I have some left in my stash closet with a little left ( I will probably drink it this weekend)
I am not a huge fan of super heavy kavas, I like the happy go lucky heady kavas, but I most definitely enjoy a heavy strain now and again, typically on those days that I am extra stressed out.

In the spirit of those days, here are some other kavas that fit that bill for me.
GHK Hanakapi' Ai - ( This stuff is the strongest kava I have had the pleasure of drinking)
GHK Hiwa is great too, not as strong as the one above, but it's quite good in it's own right.
Luna Kava Borogu (from above) and his Sol Blend, top notch stuff.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am already having some trouble focusing (in a good way) after the first wash on the Luna Borogu, I will probably do my second wash shortly and settle in for a good movie ;)

KMman

Kava Curious
I can't afford consistently order top shelf kava either so I've been getting bags from bestfijikava and the kava is pretty good. Definitely worth the price to be able to drink during the week and then Splurge a little on the weekend. They've got half pounds and pounds for very cheap. If you decide to order from them make sure you order the AAA.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I drink daily or almost daily and it can be expensive. I just ordered 8 oz or Kalm with Kava micro Waka. It was a grand total of $48 but it should last me a few weeks. It was the first one I tried because it was cheaper than the others that I looked at, and I've been happy with them so I haven't tried anything else. If you find one that works well with your body, it will take less of it. Every other strain I've tried doesn't give me much benefit the next day, but if I go hard on the Waka I usually don't need any the next day. They've also got med grind Borogu on sale for $30 a pound.

LunaKava

Kava Vendor
You may be less sensitive to the active ingredients/components of kava, make sure to only drink it on an empty stomach as this will increase the effectiveness. You need to fine tune yourself to a specific kava to find out which cultivar works best for you, you will notice differences in ever kava you try both in flavor and effects. I have had experiences where one kava did very little for me while working great for others, bodily chemistry is a major factor. Try as many varieties as you can you may notice 2-4 Tbsp of some cultivars may do the trick, while others will leave you wanting more. @Cmessier So, tips? Re-wash? Micro? (I've heard some say it can be a little less pricey overall). Less expensive kinds? Or just man up and pay the piper and limit use? Always do at least one second wash of the root, maybe try eating some plant based fat flax, hemp etc. after a few shells, since fat is known to increase digestion. Micro will probably cost you the same in the long run, it is just more convenient for some since no straining is necessary.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
You may be less sensitive to the active ingredients/components of kava, make sure to only drink it on an empty stomach as this will increase the effectiveness. You need to fine tune yourself to a specific kava to find out which cultivar works best for you, you will notice differences in ever kava you try both in flavor and effects. I have had experiences where one kava did very little for me while working great for others, bodily chemistry is a major factor. Try as many varieties as you can you may notice 2-4 Tbsp of some cultivars may do the trick, while others will leave you wanting more. @Cmessier So, tips? Re-wash? Micro? (I've heard some say it can be a little less pricey overall). Less expensive kinds? Or just man up and pay the piper and limit use? Always do at least one second wash of the root, maybe try eating some plant based fat flax, hemp etc. after a few shells, since fat is known to increase digestion. Micro will probably cost you the same in the long run, it is just more convenient for some since no straining is necessary.
Appreciated. Both times Ive been on a completely empty stomach. Last week like I said was a great experience. Highly relaxed and calm. I actually have some flax seed at home, Ill try that and see how that affects things. Ill also be sure and try to rewash.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
Try Pacific Kava.
They sell on eBay under the same name.
This comes from the local shop near my old Neighborhood in Northern CA.
Their Kava tested noble and is freshly pounded every week.
Owners Manny and Nilesh both drink Kava and appreciate/sell quality grog.
Price used to be around $20/lb for waka before shipping.
Although, that may have changed due to the last kava crop-busting tropical storm cycle in Fiji.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Wow, you reviewed them in 2010! That was a long time ago. I think they've changed (for the worse) since then. I once ordered a small bag from them (maybe 2 years ago?) and waited for a few weeks to get it delivered despite the fact that I live a few kms away from their "office". The kava itself def was no longer a "pure waka"

KavaCat

Meow.
You're new, so you will eventually need to use less of it. And when you have it around to cut down your stress, you end up less wound up overall, none of that long-accumulated anxieties that we can get. Which reduces use in its own right. Don't worry about the cost. You'd be really unusual if you used more than $100 of kava in a month. Micro is totally worth it IMO, for days where you're literally too stressed or tired to even knead a bag. For best economy stick to grind, but do pick up a couple 1/4th lbs of micro.

Last edited: