What's new

This just.... no

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Kratomsutra.
I'm not entirely against kr@tom, but, for the sake of safety from negative association with kava, I prefer clear distance between the two substances.
That's not anything new to say around here, but I do wanna point out how especially careless this ad is, by blatantly using a big graphic of a little 'drug-bag' to advertise their kr@tom. In this example, it's not just risky for kava (association & possible combination) but it's also a negative look for krat to advertise with familiar 'street drug' imagery.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
Not good. The correlation between K@ and Kava will ultimately be its downfall I think. People do not like to research things and when they consistently see these two together will just make assumptions.
I havent really spoke about this, but K@ has a whole subreddit about trying to quit K@. Its addictive. People have a hard time weaning off of it. It really concerns me that it is openly broadcasted like this from places that serve Kava.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I agree that K@ and Kava should not be associated. I do think that K@ has some value for recovering opiate addicts. However, I am not a medical professional and can't say I think the risk is worth the pay-off. I know that there is a standard treatment supported by the medical community (buprenorphine) that is recommended for opiate withdrawal. Again, I'm not an expert in the matter so I'm in no position to say that either option is preferable to the other.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It's interesting how quickly the focus always shifts from the people who are inappropriately marketing both herbs to the existence of K@ being the issue.

It's hard to make a case for buprenorphine. If the medical community was treating opiod abuse appropriately we wouldn't have the opiod crisis. Bup is just a way for the pharmaceutical and medical industry to keep addicts dependent and continue to profit from the situation. These synthetic opiods used to manage addictions are also extremely difficult for people to get off of without the assistance of helpers like K@.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
You know there's an opiate problem when the local Walmart keeps their Immodium locked up.

Anyone heard of ibogaine therapy for addictions? It's apparently some kind of psychedelic that can completely erase addiction cravings. But the trip is fairly stressful and not recommended for people dealing with physical WD's.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It's interesting how quickly the focus always shifts from the people who are inappropriately marketing both herbs to the existence of K@ being the issue.

It's hard to make a case for buprenorphine. If the medical community was treating opiod abuse appropriately we wouldn't have the opiod crisis. Bup is just a way for the pharmaceutical and medical industry to keep addicts dependent and continue to profit from the situation. These synthetic opiods used to manage addictions are also extremely difficult for people to get off of without the assistance of helpers like K@.
Interesting perspective.

For the record, I have come out in support of K@ before (mostly as a way to help people get off opiates, as you said). My disgust is more with the advertisement itself. Kavasutra is well known for being (homophobic, transphobic, and misogynistic) bigots.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I think this is one of their least distasteful ads, sadly.

I believe the owner's M.O. is yelling the loudest to get the most attention. It's a lazy, and harmful tactic that is becoming alarmingly common. This entity has continually proven themselves, at least on the outside, that integrity is NOT at the core of every kava vendor. I absolutely cannot imagine being a manager for that place and having to work over the owner's incessant need for social media attention. I get it though. It seems they may subscribe to the idea that "any attention is good attention".

From some of the pictures that I can see, they actually have the potential to be a great place. I always maintain that an act can be cleaned up, and hope that the owner understands that the respectful representation of their company would do a world of good to the respect given towards the plants they choose to sell. Bigotry has NO seat near either herb.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I used to be concerned that when dealing with ETHNObotanicals some sort of cultural sensitivity might be expected or required, but on reflection I think just basic respect and common decency should be cover it. By all means, though, hang onto cultural sensitivity and keep it at the ready as a fall back.

My general impression of kava drinkers is a tendency to be very grateful to those who kept and cherished and nurtured the sacred root through the millenia. Except for Peter Colmar, of course. Maybe a few other scallawags.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yeah, unfortunately the cultural sensitivity part seems to have been lost years ago. With Bula on the Beach we had cultural appropriation. And now we have examples of Kava bars being associated with just complete jerks - misogynistic, insensitive, and intentionally outrageous.

That seems to be the winning strategy for the 2010s - be intentionally outrageous and generate oppositional anger to rile up the base.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah, unfortunately the cultural sensitivity part seems to have been lost years ago. With Bula on the Beach we had cultural appropriation. And now we have examples of Kava bars being associated with just complete jerks - misogynistic, insensitive, and intentionally outrageous.

That seems to be the winning strategy for the 2010s - be intentionally outrageous and generate oppositional anger to rile up the base.
These things tend to be fairly limited, because they only work until they don't. They are awful while in vogue. But it is a con, one of the oldest grifts in the book and eventually people learn to dnftt, which is really the only way. Like a fire starved of oxygen, trolls are hard kill except by simply not feeding them. Don't give them free space anywhere, starting with one's own head.

These things tend to be fairly limited, because they only work until they don't. They are awful while in vogue. But it is a con, one of the oldest grifts in the book and eventually people learn to dnftt, which is really the only way. Like a fire starved of oxygen, trolls are hard kill except by simply not feeding them. Don't give them free space anywhere, starting with one's own head.
Yep, I completely agree, starve this troll. Much love krunkie, it’s Aaron from your YouTube comments

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
You know there's an opiate problem when the local Walmart keeps their Immodium locked up.

Anyone heard of ibogaine therapy for addictions? It's apparently some kind of psychedelic that can completely erase addiction cravings. But the trip is fairly stressful and not recommended for people dealing with physical WD's.
Ibogaine may have a lot of potential. Several psychedelics have been studied for being able to reverse addiction. Probably part of the reason they are schedule 1 drugs at this point.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
This is a shame. I remember the fear I felt when still hooked on kr@tom when I believed it would be banned. I never want to worry about this with kava, however I know I would not have to fear insufferable withdrawals. Kr@tom, while infinitely better than street chems, is a powerful plant and produced a more painful withdrawal experience for me than several popular street opiates.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This is a shame. I remember the fear I felt when still hooked on kr@tom when I believed it would be banned. I never want to worry about this with kava, however I know I would not have to fear insufferable withdrawals. Kr@tom, while infinitely better than street chems, is a powerful plant and produced a more painful withdrawal experience for me than several popular street opiates.
My experience when I have briefly quit or had to quit drinking kava was not only is there no "withdrawal" but because you have kavalactones in your body that gently recede as they die off, or go to a better place, it's as if kava does a gentle self-tapering so you gently float back to where you were before, (but a better person, maybe). It also means for me that the good effects of kava continue even when I have stopped drinking it, so it's still there when I need it, like when people are slicing, hacking, mincing or otherwise perforating me. Strong effects of kava last 3 or 4 days and the mild ones about 2 weeks.

Last edited: