What's new

This new kava killed my skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I've been drinking fijian kava for a few years. I get the exact same strain, same bag, vendor everything. Last week it was sold out so I tried a different fijian. Its just like my personal favorite, but much stronger and the powder isn't as course. Its very strong. I can drink a third to half of the volume. However after a week of this my kava derma is at an all-time high. The creams that were helping before aren't helping now. Its not 100% noble. The other stuff I've been drinking for years is. I'm hoping this will break in and make me more tolerant in the future. I use kava for recreation and medicinally. A few trivial questions for any other heavy users

Do you have to periodically switch creams, as the one you were using before becomes less effective?
Do you take breaks?
Whats your worst case of dermo? Mine is at an all time high and I can post some pictures. A little embarrassed to go out in public. I look like I've been baking in the sun for a week.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm a lightweight (or white belt as we say in Fiji) compared to others on here and drink kava infrequently. However when I used to drink it often, I never got dermo and I put it down to taking breaks. One week out of every month without yaqona worked for me.
I'm the same way, my first couple years maybe a bit longer, I was a daily drinker, with the usual dermo breaks every 1-2 months. Due in part to rising kava prices as well day to day responsibilities, I've cut back to weekends, with the occasional weekend off. I haven't had any dermo in well over 6 months.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I’m starting to suspect that another reason I don’t get dermo any more is my rule of never drinking the same kava twice in a row. I have one to two dozen different kavas I rotate through, with s few more as rare treats.
It's possible but I doubt it, kava dries you regardless of brand/cultivar. It's more likely your nutritional intake along with fluids like water that I believe can have a positive impact on your long term health., imo.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Switching creams didn't help me much when my dermo gets aggravated. For me it's more about asking myself first have I been dehydrated too frequently lately? Second I ask myself if my consumption has gone up recently. Third is particular cultivars. Melo melo killed my skin as does supreme.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I seemed to have broken out into a rash. At first it was on both sides but now its just my right side. Left side is flawless but on my right torso I have red stretch marks that are really itchy and on my ribs, small red itchy bumps similar to the ones you'd get shaving. I sold that other new kava to my brother and took a few days off and resumed my regular kava but its not going away. I don't want to quit altogether. What should I do? Adding ointment made it worse )":

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I seemed to have broken out into a rash. At first it was on both sides but now its just my right side. Left side is flawless but on my right torso I have red stretch marks that are really itchy and on my ribs, small red itchy bumps similar to the ones you'd get shaving. I sold that other new kava to my brother and took a few days off and resumed my regular kava but its not going away. I don't want to quit altogether. What should I do? Adding ointment made it worse )":
I don't think what you are describing is that unusual; and I have definitely had symptoms like that from noble kava. The only thing I have found to really work consistently is to take a couple weeks off (though I've gotten by with just one week a few times). I really only get notable dermo after a couple weeks of daily drinking; especially if I drink it more than once a day. I always know its time to stop denying my need to take a break if I go to put deodorant on and it burns. If, however, I take a couple weeks off then ease back into it, it seems like that controls it (even if not all of the symptoms are totally gone after 2 weeks).
The only other idea that I think is reliable is the somewhat unpalatable idea of showering less. Showering definitely seems like a catalyst for dermo, perhaps because it removes too much of the oils in the skin? Others have suggested consuming coconut oil; I'm still not sure how much that helps me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw we are also at the absolute worst time of year for dermo because of dry winter air. Simmering a whole chicken on the back burner all day isn't a bad idea, unless you get mold from too much humidity. You have to get it just right, in the proper range, and you really need a decent instrument to measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.