What's new

Kava Recipe Those looking to potentiate Kava, try coffee

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
I am relatively new here, but I've gone through 1/4 pound of moi, mahakea, and nene micronized and through 50grams instant of the same cultivars. I've been drinking buruguru micro for the last week. All from GHK. Today I mixed buruguru micro with a half cup of coffee, and OMG. Same dose I always take, but it feels incredibly more potent. More potent and more heady than mahakea at the same dose. Feels like moi, but stronger. On top of that, feeling buzzing in my tongue, arms, and hands. Loud ringing in the ears. Very dizzy. Amazing!

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like a hippie speedball to me. I'd try it a few times more to see what happens. Kava is finicky for me. Sometimes it hits hard, sometimes not so much, other times it makes me feel crummy, all from the same amount. I drink coffee from rise until about six at night though.

Edit: the dude abides ;)

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I don't drink burnt coffee. I make a cold brew. I mix two cups of the best coffee I can afford with water in a 32 oz mason jar. Let it sit over night. I then take the top thin metal lid off, screw the metal ring back on over a strainer holding it in place. Tip it over into a tea jug and let drain for a few minutes. Best coffee I have had, I will mix 1 part of this coffee consintrait with 4 parts warm water. This will last me about 5 days. When I started kava I began experimenting and added some med grind. Kinda ruined the taste. I like the taste of a good expensive coffee, I tend to be a coffee snob :pompus:. Then I tried a teaspoon of moi instant. Less kava but better taste. For me adding a small amount of kava to my cold brew added a nice kick. This single TEAspoon would go into this brew that is expected to last a week. Now that I have kava candy I will drop two into the mix with very little effect on flavor. I would suggest not to over do the kava and experiment with different types to see what you
Iike. I am not sure how it would work with normally brewed/burnt :D coffee.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Personally I can't see the advantage of mixing a sedative with a stimulant, but to each his own.
There is a synergy for me, coffee stimulates my lazy butt(I am not a morning person)and the kava relaxes the dread of going to a job that I don't always get to be the good guy. I make decent money, but I dread it some days. 18yrs 2 months 6 days 1 hr 2 seconds till I can retire! Another way of putting it is that I am awake, relaxed and focused at the same time.

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
Caffeine gives me the opposite effect which I look for in my Kava, so this is not for me lol.
While that may be true, caffeine has different effects depending on the delivery method. Caffeine from coffee feels different than from green tea, feels different than from caffeine powder, which I have as well. I was afraid to mix Kava with caffeine for the same reason as you, however, the results for me were surprisingly good.

Sounds like a hippie speedball to me. I'd try it a few times more to see what happens. Kava is finicky for me. Sometimes it hits hard, sometimes not so much, other times it makes me feel crummy, all from the same amount. I drink coffee from rise until about six at night though.

Edit: the dude abides ;)
I was thinking the same thing. So this morning, I took half a dose (1 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp), which usually doesn't effect me very much, even with the more heady varieties, and even less so with buruguru. It felt like 2 tbsp of mahakea when mixed with coffee. So still a small sample size, but promising.
Edit: you see what happens, Larry
I wonder if it's just the hot liquid boosting it and not actually the coffee/caffeine. :coffee::pompus:
I am pretty sure it is not. I usually take my Kava in hot liquid (about 150 degrees), but I was using herbal tea and decaff coffee. So temperature is something I am controlling for. However, when comparing hot liquid vs cold liquid (with caffeine out of the equation), you are right, hot always feels more potent.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Yea, no. Not for me. Buzzing, tingling, very dizzy? Sounds like withdrawal from SSRIs and benzos. Trying to get away from that. I like to feel calm, happy and just a little slowed down wooziness at the weekend, relaxed but focused during the week. Think I'll take my kava neat!!

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Yo, you're too new to appreciate the affect. Give it two months of um practice and you'll find out that coffee is a no no. ;)

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
a nice hot cup of tea or coffee will give me a kava boost. although too much caffeine on a daily basis seems to make kava less effective for me. a hot meal (or greasy pizza!) will really kick it off

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
I drink both kava and coffee all day, almost every day. The only thing that changes is the kind of kava and the ratio of coffee to kava (less coffee in the nighttime). They work wonderfully together for me.