What's new

Time for new aluballs?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - my main prep method is the aluball and I’ve had the same 2 aluballs for about 2 years. I’ve noticed sediment at the bottom of my glass after I pour directly from the aluball, so today I decided to strain from the aluball into my glass to see what the strainer cloth caught.

I used 4 tbsp of nakamal at home Melo Melo in 2 aluballs and shook for 2 mins. The attached image is what the strainer caught. I’m guessing that’s close to 2 tbsp of sediment.

I assume that’s excessive and I probably wouldn’t want to be consuming all of the kava that slips through the aluballs? So time for new aluballs? I’m also assuming that could be why I tend to have a rough next day sometimes when I drink kava?

Attachments

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all - my main prep method is the aluball and I’ve had the same 2 aluballs for about 2 years. I’ve noticed sediment at the bottom of my glass after I pour directly from the aluball, so today I decided to strain from the aluball into my glass to see what the strainer cloth caught.

I used 4 tbsp of nakamal at home Melo Melo in 2 aluballs and shook for 2 mins. The attached image is what the strainer caught. I’m guessing that’s close to 2 tbsp of sediment.

I assume that’s excessive and I probably wouldn’t want to be consuming all of the kava that slips through the aluballs? So time for new aluballs? I’m also assuming that could be why I tend to have a rough next day sometimes when I drink kava?
Looks like your strainer cloth is picking up everything! Examine the Balls for rips and tears, I would be shocked if the screens are there at all :D

That is a lot of makas that the ball should have strained.

Honestly, I'd save it as memento and use your cloth/synthetic strainer from now on. I prefer synthetic 75 micron and these actually last 2+ years.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Looks like your strainer cloth is picking up everything! Examine the Balls for rips and tears, I would be shocked if the screens are there at all :D

That is a lot of makas that the ball should have strained.

Honestly, I'd save it as memento and use your cloth/synthetic strainer from now on. I prefer synthetic 75 micron and these actually last 2+ years.
Haha thanks. After the above post I did the same prep method with KWK Borogu and there wasn’t nearly as much in the strainer, so maybe the Melo Melo is just extra finely ground and slips through when shaken?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The other way to tell is when you open up your balls, how much is left inside them, compare to how many TBSP you put in there originally

@Kava Eraser where is that aluball thread you started please?

I've just come back to using mine after a 3 week break and discovered sticky kava residue inside the aluballs, which I've never seen before. This is my second set, and the first, which was part of the first aluball set made, didn't do this ever. Wondering if it's the kava (el manaro) or that I haven't cleaned them enough (I always just rinse well), or that I use oat milk in my mix. Wondering if anyone else has had this sticky issue happen? I've just scraped it off with a knife, but i'm wondering about food safety and all that. Might also be time for some new ones for me too.