What's new

Tonight's mix: Hanakapi'ai and KavaBoy

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Lately I've been enjoying mixing two varieties together and seeing what happens. Sometimes I hit paydirt, like with Nambawan and Borongoru (TO THE MOON, Alice!) and sometimes it leaves me relaxed but otherwise unimpressed (KavaBoy/Nene).

I've been looking for a good use for the Hanakapi'ai, as it really didn't make a name for itself with me when prepared alone. It was solid, but didn't impress in any one way or another and so I felt like I just needed the right set/setting/prep/mix to really bring it out for me.

KavaBoy is a great potentiator of Hanakapi'ai.

Tonight I mixed 2/3 cup of Hanakapi'ai with 1/3 cup of KavaBoy and brewed 3 cups of grog. Kneaded for 15 minutes with a second and third wash during which I used my new Fist of God technique for really mashing the straining bag.

This yielded a strong batch of kava that is both heady and mellow in the body. It was PERFECT after the gym tonight, for helping me settle into a steady state of mind-body fluidity which I'm now riding downwards towards bed. Eye lag, some giddiness (heady heady) with some heavy lids, soft focus and light sensitivity with a benign calm and bemused outlook. This is my best Hanakapi'ai experience to date.

It doesn't hurt that I've gone to the Noble Clouds Deep Awa in the e-cig several times during the night. Each time it pumps up the giddiness/headiness for a few minutes and then I settle back into the baseline kava state.

All in all a very nice Thursday night session with very good kava. I'm happy to have found a blend with Hanakapi'ai that suits me.