What's new

Too tired after kava- please help.

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
Kava has been making me very tired as of late...is this normal? I love relaxation, but being crabby tired is not fun or relaxing ...hmmm- any advice on this problem?

D

Deleted User01

@ShannyinSobriety, yes it can do that. And you will feel that way if you drink kava and you still have a lot of work to do. Been there. When I drink kava, I expect to get on the recliner, relax, and listen to an audiobook. If you have lots of chores to do, then do them first, and then drink your kava to relax and then sleep.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
if I drink kava during the day, I can only drink heady or well balanced grog. on top of that, I am only able to drink just enough that I can feel its effects, but am also able to forget that I drank it. if I drink enough to experience the bright light/loud noise phenomenon, I end up feeling crummy. it's like the light, noise, and busying stimuli around me gives me nausea and amotvational syndrome. it's a buzzkill

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
Yes I am, I am very conscientious about keeping hydrated now. I just wish I wasn't tired when I drank Kava. What is an example of a Noble Kava? Perhaps that would be a good alternative.

D

Deleted User01

Yes I am, I am very conscientious about keeping hydrated now. I just wish I wasn't tired when I drank Kava. What is an example of a Noble Kava? Perhaps that would be a good alternative.
@ShannyinSobriety, most of the kavas from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava are Noble. The most Noble is Nene according to the list at the True Kava Website. The Hawaiians would use it their "fretful kids" once in a while. So my top 3 would be Moi for daytime, Mahakea for the weekend (both headiness and sedation), and Nene for sleep. Mahakea and Moi are not on the list yet but all the 13 kavas of Hawaii are noble. The Tudei variety, Isa, is not.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I get residual sedation after a night of shells. I'm currently playing around with time of drinking (when I start the kava) and number of shells (how deep into the tanoa I go for a night) to balance effects with residual "fog brain" in the morning.

Heady kava gives less residual tireness for me and gives me more morning bounce, seems like. I think it's something you can play with on the consumption side, rather than trying to treat the morning after effects with extra coffee or whatnot. I'd be interested to see what you find.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I read somewhere that dhm has a half-life of 8-9 hours. if that is true, it would explain mild morning-after/shield effects even with noble varieties

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
How's this going, @ShannyinSobriety?

I notice when I have a kava drinking session the night before, the bed is awfully slutty in the morning before I end up at work. My wife asked me "Why are you smiling?" this morning while I laid there and I was "Bed. Good." So I think I can relate on that front. It's so easy to just drift back into sleep.

I've had a few "fog-brained" mornings where I kind of felt like my head was cloudy, and I was working a little slow for the first couple hours. It hasn't happened in the last week and I've been drinking KavaBoy and Pouni Ono pretty much exclusively lately. It may have something to do with the type you're drinking.

I really don't want to drink coffee or some other caffeinated thing in the morning, but I've settled on black tea for now, with an occasional cup of coffee or yerba mate drink (prefer to caffeinated soda).

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I just ordered Kavaboy! I am so excited to get my shipment. I only drink about 1/2 cup of coffee in the mornings, I just don't need it anymore, I did notice if I have a big cold glass of lemon water- sometimes the Kava kicks in heavier!
I've been really happy with KavaBoy. It's solid, balanced-to-heady, mild tasting and a great go-to for everyday drinking. I've been drinking a lot of it recently.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Stick to Hawaiian kavas or heady kavas. One of my favorite all the time kavas is wakacons Fiji waka. It doesn't make you tired but still works for things like anxiety. I couldn't imagine drinking something like boroguru or borogu and then doing anything productive. Overall wakacons seems to be best. Lots of the Hawaiians do nothing for anxiety but don't make me tired while wakacons has a perfect balance without the sedation.