Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14 +

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Patrick01

Kava Curious
Hey everyone,

Normally I use the toss and wash (mix the powder with liquid and drink as is) to drink my kava. It seems this is not too popular a route of consumption,
but for those who use it, how many grams do you take?

I normally take 10 grams to feel pretty nice effects, although sometimes I take a bit more, 11-12 grams, to feel it more strongly.

infraredz

BULA!
I added a poll here to get some more easy to see, quantitative results for you.

Good question/poll that I don't think has been asked before. Especially relevant since micronized has come on the scene.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yes you are lacking the number zero. That's how much I toss and wash. Should I just hit 1 or not participate? ;)Much love. Roaddog....

Patrick01

Kava Curious
Can we change the poll to grams? Tablespoons isnt very accurate, as a lumpy tablespoon is different from a non-lumpy one, and depending on the texture of the kava the amount is different. But I guess grams will only work if you all are using grams to measure.

Last edited:

NZdude

Kava Curious
I have been drinking kava for about 4 or 5 years. Until recently I have been buying the cheep Fijian stuff in local shops that is very available here in New Zealand (even gas stations). I gave up on traditional kneading, as it took ages, and i got little effect. So I use a sieve to separate the fine powder from the bigger stuff. I then use that fine powder for toss and wash. Always use 8 heaped tea spoons in a large cup of milk, stir in well, and down.

This can, and has caused me stomach aches, and it also gives the experience an edgy feel as well as consuming root that is better off filtered out. So i do not recommend my method. I just dont have time for al that blending and kneading, i work hard, and when i finish, i only have a couple of hours before bed to relax, so i dont want to wast my valuable time preparing it for half an hour or more, plus all that mess and clean up :meh:

Recently I have got onto the @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava GHK micronized, and it's a toss and washers dream :woot: GHK removes the part of the root that can cause stomach issues (see this thread for photo details ), and it mixes easily with water. Its like instant, but with the strength of root. So now I only use this, and will probably only ever use micronized again, especially as it is available in so many varieties. With the GHK micronized i use 3 to eight level tea spoons depending on what experience I am after. There is a recent thread that talks about how much micronized to use and how for some it works out cheaper than root, and much more convenient.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Can we change the poll to grams? Tablespoons isnt very accurate, as a lumpy tablespoon is different from a non-lumpy one, and depending on the texture of the kava the amount is different. But I guess grams will only work if you all are using grams to measure.
Unfortunately, most people don't weigh their kava ever. (I haven't done it in a long time myself).

Worth noting also that GHK's micronized is a step above toss and wash in potency.

Patrick01

Kava Curious
Unfortunately, most people don't weigh their kava ever. (I haven't done it in a long time myself).

Worth noting also that GHK's micronized is a step above toss and wash in potency.
Ah alright, its just that tablespoons is quite an inaccurate way to judge this, I changed it to grams, but if the majority of people are not weighing, I guess changing it back to tablespoons is best? Is there a way to do two polls in the same thread?

violet

Do all things with love
I think an average weight for many would be around 7 grams to a tablespoon.

I can't classify GHK's micronized in the same category as "unstrained toss-and-wash," consuming unfiltered micronized is a very different experience than unfiltered whole root (for me anyway). If I'm not started or ending a root session with micronized, I consume around 3 T's, so probably a little over 20 grams.

Each time I have consumed unfiltered root powder I've felt that the effects were sub-par to what I would get from kneading out a bowl of grog. The feeling of lacking something and the unwanted side effects for me aren't worth the trade-off for the convenience. If you need the convenience of toss-and-wash, micronized is the best way to go, IMO. Good micronized parallels what I get from squeezing root, minus the mess and prep time.

Roaddog

Kava Who?

I can't classify GHK's micronized in the same category as "unstrained toss-and-wash," consuming unfiltered micronized is a very different experience than unfiltered whole root (for me anyway). If I'm not started or ending a root session with micronized, I consume around 3 T's, so probably a little over 20 grams.

Each time I have consumed unfiltered root powder I've felt that the effects were sub-par to what I would get from kneading out a bowl of grog. The feeling of lacking something and the unwanted side effects for me aren't worth the trade-off for the convenience. If you need the convenience of toss-and-wash, micronized is the best way to go, IMO. Good micronized parallels what I get from squeezing root, minus the mess and prep time.
I just placed an order the mahakea, a few minutes ago. I have been wanting to experiment with what @KavaLot and what @Deleted User01 have been doing. I want me some kava syrup. Much love. Roaddog....

Patrick01

Kava Curious

Thats interesting the effects arnt as good for you when you use Toss and Wash. For me personally, its the opposite. When I do the traditional straining method I tend to get mostly sedation effects from Kava, and just end up feeling tired. With Toss and Wash, I feel like im getting the full experience effects-wise.