What's new

Kava Preparation Total noob question

egriton

Hi, really basic question: can I just eat the powder?

Is there any need to mix with water, squeeze, filter, etc?

Can I just put the powder in gel caps and swallow?

Wouldn't my stomach just break down the cellulose and absorb the kavalactones anyhow?

I'm asking because I need an efficient method for bedtime.

Thanks.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I don’t think that would work, if for no other reasons than the sheer volume required. Even if you used instant, as a minimum you’d want a full tea spoon, thats quite a few caps and would be easier to just mix with a small amount of water, no straining etc required with instant.

For a host of reasons it wouldn’t work with medium grind.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah too much volume would be required. Although, saying that, some people do have good results with capsules. One guy on here recently posted and said capsules were doing the trick for him. Not sure how many he was taking mind you...

Theoretically, I guess you could get 000 sized capsules and fill them with instant in a capsule filling machine. Taking a few of them would probably have an effect.

Another option would be to buy some oblate papers. I bought some recently for another substance and they were pretty good, although recently one of them tore up in my throat and made me puke big time. It was horrible. This is the company I bought from: https://www.blatepapes.com/

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It would work but it’s impractical as others have said. You won’t get the full effect. I have tried putting some root powder in my lip and got effects but you can only get the effect of maybe 1 shell that way. If you were to eat like a couple tablespoons of powder you will get indigestion and maybe backed up a little. And it won’t kick in as nicely

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi, really basic question: can I just eat the powder?

Is there any need to mix with water, squeeze, filter, etc?

Can I just put the powder in gel caps and swallow?

Wouldn't my stomach just break down the cellulose and absorb the kavalactones anyhow?

I'm asking because I need an efficient method for bedtime.

Thanks.
You can...it is generally known as "toss and wash". Yes your stomach will break it down and you will get a pretty strong effect - probably stronger than the equivalent amount traditionally prepared. This is essentially what microgind kava is. That said it is really rough on your stomach and your skin and not really recommended. I started my kava journey with microgrind and after 6 months my skin was coming off like I was molting. That from a vendor that claimed their microgrind had all the makas removed and it still tore me up. I have tried all kinds of methods of making kava over the last 7 years, dozens of them including making my own extract, but you know what I do these days....put 8 tablespoons in strainer bag in thermos and shake the piss out of it and knead it. Trust me traditional is the way.
1689089856653.png

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I used to eat kava whole. I get a cleaner effect from straining it, and once I got a proper strainer, I have not ate the root whole once since three, four years ago.