What's new

Traditional Prep, Does It Leave Residue on Hands?

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I have a question for the more experienced. Ive been using an aluball as muy first and only ever prep method for a little bit. Im very happy with it. I use about 1.5 tbsp ground root in 500ml filtered room temp water and shake it about 60 to 90 times. The result is a decently murky tea.
I notice a discernable effect from drinking just that much. Just a simple mellow calm, like drinking green tea.
But, there are others who have commented that there is more to experience with kava, different prep methods, as well as using more.
Rather than just adding more to my aluball, i decided to buy a strainer.
My worry and question is if i use my hands to knead the kava, will my hands be stained with kava residue?
The issue is i have a dog. I dont want to make a batch of kava, wash my hands but still have residue, then my dog lick my hands and thus ingest the kava. I have not done any research on dogs and kava but regardless im not ever going to let him get close to ever possibly having an adverse or life threatening effect from it.

So, how well does kava rinse off after kneading, and are nny concerns warranted? Or is there another prep method or way around this?
Thanks in advance

D

Deleted User01

I have never noticed any residue on the hands and especially after washing. If you do the same amount of kava with Aluball as you do with kneading, give us your impressions of the effectiveness of both methods.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Any oily stuff on your hands will come off if you wash them. Just wash them real good with hot water and soap (although, in all likelihood you'd be fine with just water - can't be too safe though) and you'll be fine. Immediatley after the prep and before washing, though, your hands will definitely smell like Kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have a question for the more experienced. Ive been using an aluball as muy first and only ever prep method for a little bit. Im very happy with it. I use about 1.5 tbsp ground root in 500ml filtered room temp water and shake it about 60 to 90 times. The result is a decently murky tea.
I notice a discernable effect from drinking just that much. Just a simple mellow calm, like drinking green tea.
But, there are others who have commented that there is more to experience with kava, different prep methods, as well as using more.
Rather than just adding more to my aluball, i decided to buy a strainer.
My worry and question is if i use my hands to knead the kava, will my hands be stained with kava residue?
The issue is i have a dog. I dont want to make a batch of kava, wash my hands but still have residue, then my dog lick my hands and thus ingest the kava. I have not done any research on dogs and kava but regardless im not ever going to let him get close to ever possibly having an adverse or life threatening effect from it.

So, how well does kava rinse off after kneading, and are nny concerns warranted? Or is there another prep method or way around this?
Thanks in advance
I use both the Aluball and traditional prep, for me the noticeable advantage to one over the other is the amount of root powder that can be used with traditional preparation. I've recently settled into a 4 tbs per night routine and it seems to work for me, using a bag instead of the balls, is more efficient.

I use latex gloves when I knead to avoid having my hands getting dry from semi daily kneading.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sometimes your hands can get a bit numb from kneading, especially if you are kneading several batches in a row for a needy wife, depending on the grind. But no residue problems, you just wash your hands.

I think there's a place for both aluball and trad prep in this world, although if you have a servant doing all your trad prep for you, as my wife does, that works out pretty good.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I use both the Aluball and traditional prep, for me the noticeable advantage to one over the other is the amount of root powder that be used with traditional preparation. I've recently settled into a 4 tbs per night routine and it seems for me, using a bag instead of the balls, is more efficient.

I use latex gloves when I knead to avoid having my hands getting dry from semi daily kneading.
Latex gloves! That's perfect, i forgot about that option. Thanks for the idea, i think im going to end up doing that so i can trad prep, and then play with my puppy without fear of him licking any residue up.
Thanks!

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Sometimes your hands can get a bit numb from kneading, especially if you are kneading several batches in a row for a needy wife, depending on the grind. But no residue problems, you just wash your hands.

I think there's a place for both aluball and trad prep in this world, although if you have a servant doing all your trad prep for you, as my wife does, that works out pretty good.
I will admit it, I've seen alot of your posts on these forums and i really respect your mindset. Seems to me you like to experiment and thoroughly experience kava. I have seen you post here about how you use a blender and then strain the resulting batch, for a very strong cup. That really appealed to me when i was trying to find a solution to avoid having kava residue on my hands, and thus before me posting this.
I used to own a bullet blender for morning protein shakes but I've since gotten rid of it. I have a very large ninja blender but my significant other decided thats off limits for kava use lol.
Anyhow, thus i decided to try trad prep, especially after many here talk greatly of it.
Another thing or reason ive decided to step outside the aluball world, and in regards to you and your posts here, i see alot of posts here talking about using much more than 1 to 2 tbsp of kava. The most tea ive drank was a 1.5tbsp aluball mix that i made and got 2 500ml cups from. While i feel a discernable calm and good mellow, which im happy with, i can't say i know what many here mean when they refer to 'krunk' or whatnot.
Not sure how 'krunk' i want to be, or if that's even something tat sounds remotely appealing to me. But im willing to try other prep methods and amounts of kava now because what I've experienced so far has been helpful mentally after work, physically as far as anti-inflammatory for my prostate ( id like to make a post on that once ive gathered more evidence from nny personal experience) albeit, kava thus far is a subtle experience. Comparable to a strong cup of green tea, relaxation wise.

Wow, what a rant, sorry

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I have never noticed any residue on the hands and especially after washing. If you do the same amount of kava with Aluball as you do with kneading, give us your impressions of the effectiveness of both methods.
That's a good idea. Ill probably do that.
Interestingly, i was trying to Google how much kava to use in trad prep. I came across a general 1 part kava to 4 parts water recipe.. But other than that, everyone seems to be on their own personal page.
So, ive decided to just put 1tbsp in my new strainer, add 500ml of water, knead it 10 minutes, then compare the effects of that tea to what I've been experiencing with my aluball, which is all the same measurements.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I will admit it, I've seen alot of your posts on these forums and i really respect your mindset. Seems to me you like to experiment and thoroughly experience kava. I have seen you post here about how you use a blender and then strain the resulting batch, for a very strong cup. That really appealed to me when i was trying to find a solution to avoid having kava residue on my hands, and thus before me posting this.
I used to own a bullet blender for morning protein shakes but I've since gotten rid of it. I have a very large ninja blender but my significant other decided thats off limits for kava use lol.
Anyhow, thus i decided to try trad prep, especially after many here talk greatly of it.
Another thing or reason ive decided to step outside the aluball world, and in regards to you and your posts here, i see alot of posts here talking about using much more than 1 to 2 tbsp of kava. The most tea ive drank was a 1.5tbsp aluball mix that i made and got 2 500ml cups from. While i feel a discernable calm and good mellow, which im happy with, i can't say i know what many here mean when they refer to 'krunk' or whatnot.
Not sure how 'krunk' i want to be, or if that's even something tat sounds remotely appealing to me. But im willing to try other prep methods and amounts of kava now because what I've experienced so far has been helpful mentally after work, physically as far as anti-inflammatory for my prostate ( id like to make a post on that once ive gathered more evidence from nny personal experience) albeit, kava thus far is a subtle experience. Comparable to a strong cup of green tea, relaxation wise.

Wow, what a rant, sorry
Thanks for your kind words and the pleasant rant.

Do NOT get krunk if you don't want to get krunk. It's OK to not get krunk, it really is. If you're happy with discernable calm and good mellow, then that's a beautiful thing. Don't mess that up without a really good reason.

Krunk is a kind of brief but blissful inebriation. Depending on prep and variety of root it can last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or so, unless one keeps drinking more kava to sustain it. It can be very pleasant but for some people it can be distressing. If you don't need it, you don't need it. I haven't gotten krunk in about 2 1/2 months now. Why? Because I didn't need it. These days I just get mellow. Another potential downside of krunk is that it is achieved by going just one step shy of overdose, something no one enjoys. It's not too horrible, vertigo and double vision and perhaps nausea, and it does pass fairly quickly, and causes no harm beyond discomfort, unless you try to walk and fall and smash your teeth out on the edge of your coffee table, but it's no fun and best avoided.

You seem to be doing just fine sticking with what feels right for you. You really can't go wrong with that.

Oh, and yes, kava is used to treat all kinds of urinary tract issues, prostate, menopause, menstruation, etc, the whole downstairs plumbing complex. And for many it really works. Thank goodness for that. Lots of people get lots of relief. That's a good thing. Yessiree, Bob.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Not if you lick every last drop off your hands....
Seriously I have never had an issue with rinsing kava off my hands with even just water. Add a little soap and there is zero issue with residue on your hands. Even if there was some residue it would be so minute that it would not be any issue. As for dogs ingesting kava I have no idea if there is something toxic to them in the root. My dog has has at least once snuck a few slurps of my already made kava, with no ill effects....and no I did not let that cup go to waste :wtf:. I figure that after hundreds (maybe thousands - not sure how prevalent domestic dogs were in early island life) of years if it was toxic to dogs someone would have found this out already.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Not if you lick every last drop off your hands....
Seriously I have never had an issue with rinsing kava off my hands with even just water. Add a little soap and there is zero issue with residue on your hands. Even if there was some residue it would be so minute that it would not be any issue. As for dogs ingesting kava I have no idea if there is something toxic to them in the root. My dog has has at least once snuck a few slurps of my already made kava, with no ill effects....and no I did not let that cup go to waste :wtf:. I figure that after hundreds (maybe thousands - not sure how prevalent domestic dogs were in early island life) of years if it was toxic to dogs someone would have found this out already.
Thanks for that tid bit. I appreciate you sharing your experience regarding dogs. Im still going to be overly careful but i feel better having heard your words.
I did get the latex gloves, but have since realized the prepared kava seems about as easy to wash out of the hands as effectively as you mention.

Thanks for your kind words and the pleasant rant.

Do NOT get krunk if you don't want to get krunk. It's OK to not get krunk, it really is. If you're happy with discernable calm and good mellow, then that's a beautiful thing. Don't mess that up without a really good reason.

Krunk is a kind of brief but blissful inebriation. Depending on prep and variety of root it can last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or so, unless one keeps drinking more kava to sustain it. It can be very pleasant but for some people it can be distressing. If you don't need it, you don't need it. I haven't gotten krunk in about 2 1/2 months now. Why? Because I didn't need it. These days I just get mellow. Another potential downside of krunk is that it is achieved by going just one step shy of overdose, something no one enjoys. It's not too horrible, vertigo and double vision and perhaps nausea, and it does pass fairly quickly, and causes no harm beyond discomfort, unless you try to walk and fall and smash your teeth out on the edge of your coffee table, but it's no fun and best avoided.

You seem to be doing just fine sticking with what feels right for you. You really can't go wrong with that.

Oh, and yes, kava is used to treat all kinds of urinary tract issues, prostate, menopause, menstruation, etc, the whole downstairs plumbing complex. And for many it really works. Thank goodness for that. Lots of people get lots of relief. That's a good thing. Yessiree, Bob.
So, i suppose my confusion was from two issues.
Firstly, everyone has their own prep method for kava, reflecting mainly the end result they want to feel. So, while researching just how much kava i should use to prepare a 'standard ' amount.. i came up with numerous differing of opinions and recipes and methods.
Secondly, i see what's mentioned as 'krunk' often enough to (wrongfully) assume that it is the 'end goal '. With your post, a few others, and my own common sense, im realizing krunk is referring to an epitome of all the positive effects of kava, without going too far to make you feel uncomfortable from them. But otherwise, kava is subtle and gentle.

Today i got my new strainer. Its the kavafied starter, i think 100 micron. I used 2tbsp vula waka with about 16oz water, kneaded in a bowl for 10min. I had been using the same amounts of kava to water in the aluball.
The difference is noticeable. Definitely the same positive effects. Slight euphoric beginning, calming growing and then just a mellow relaxed feeling. But definitely stronger by traditional prep.

I want to add i also had a great feeling while kneading. I imagined what i was doing was actually something someone else once did hundreds or thousands of years ago, working the same kind of root with their hands. I enjoy that aspect and hope to not get bored of kneading anytime soon.

Anyhow, thanks again krunky. Those latex gloves work perfect, thanks so much for sharing.