What's new

Traditional vs AluBall?

Hope everyone is doing well!

Was wondering. It's been a while since I've made my Kava traditionally. Has anyone noticed any difference in potency/effects with traditional prep vs aluball?

Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Aluball is fantastic for on the go, and for people with disabilities, however the only part that's slightly lacking is the ability to do a final squeeze. Due to this you end up giving up some of the kavalactones you would otherwise have gotten from traditional prep.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hope everyone is doing well!

Was wondering. It's been a while since I've made my Kava traditionally. Has anyone noticed any difference in potency/effects with traditional prep vs aluball?

Thanks!
When I use the aluball, I pour out all the liquid and then do a one shake "thump" of the ball on the bottom of the container and then pour out the liquid ( a lot); and then I repeat this about five more times until even a hard shake does not produce any liquid. When I dump out the maka from the ball, it is very dry appearing and difficult to get out. And it does not seem to be hard on the screen mesh at all.

WilliamD

I see a lot of people complaining about the weakness of their Aluball brew. I normally weigh out my prep, and normally use 15 grams per Aluball, and my grog is anything but weak. Recently I decided to try to make a stronger brew and packed it in the Aluball without weighing. It absolutely did not work. I got a weak looking, semi transparent brew, and when I opened up the Aluball, instead of it looking like soup, the inside of the pack was barely even wet. I then weighed out 15 grams, and all was very well.

The upshot is that the Aluball may not work if you pack the Kava in it too tightly. This happened for a second time just yesterday, but this time I know it was because I put too much Kava in the Aluball. Sometimes less is literally more.

Lenticels

AluNaw
I see a lot of people complaining about the weakness of their Aluball brew. I normally weigh out my prep, and normally use 15 grams per Aluball, and my grog is anything but weak. Recently I decided to try to make a stronger brew and packed it in the Aluball without weighing. It absolutely did not work. I got a weak looking, semi transparent brew, and when I opened up the Aluball, instead of it looking like soup, the inside of the pack was barely even wet. I then weighed out 15 grams, and all was very well.

The upshot is that the Aluball may not work if you pack the Kava in it too tightly. This happened for a second time just yesterday, but this time I know it was because I put too much Kava in the Aluball. Sometimes less is literally more.
I think the method described below is likely superior to that of an AluBall:
I suspect that using the blender is a major part of your problem. I made a kava mixture once using the 'hot water' method'. It caused serious nausea, so never again. Why not try the shaker bottle method with room temp water? It is very effective, as quick as using a blender and it is less messy.

Add your measured amount of kava to your strainer bag, seal the bag (with string or bag clip) and place it in a shaker bottle. Leave some space between the kava and the closure (string or clip) to allow the kava to freely agitate. Add your measured amount of room temp water and shake well, horizontally side-to-side, for at least two minutes. It should sound like a washing machine, not a cocktail shaker. Once the liquid has been decanted and the bag squeezed to release the remaining liquid there should the same amount of water as originally added, less about 7ml per 140ml shell (absorbed by the kava and the strainer bag).

Ozkava
View attachment 13014
You can also use a Mason quart or half-gallon jar, as I've seen KrunkieMcKrunkFace use in his most recent YouTube video.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I *only* use an Aluball and never have an potency issues.
Sure, I'm not getting every last molecule of Kavaloactones (and of course the traditional method is a nominally "better" extraction mode).
To maximize the Aluball extraction I shake for 3 full minutes vigorously rather than the recommended 30 seconds. Them little buggers break free for daddy.

My Aluball gets rinsed right afterwards. I've never washed an Aluball in 7 years. The cleanup is 1 minute.
Total process is about 4-5 minutes from bag to shell.
I'm not worried about any lost kavalactones or doing a second shake but certainly don't fault anyone for chasing those lost bits. My kava sessions are far more potent than anything I can get in a Kava Bar by a long margin. I only drink kava on the weekends, and only 2 tablespoons per 8-10 ounce shell.

Yeah, love my Aluball. Tried the blender method this week. But, I really like just using the Aluball. What a great invention. So thankful for it!