What's new

Trying to find my happy medium

Catlady

Kava Curious
Hello everyone, I'm very new to Kava. I'm not too sure what, about 2 weeks ago, got me looking up about kava and ordering a 250g of Vanuatu Noble (243516) to try. I think Kava found me!
I had heard about kava before but never had a particular interest in trying it. I do have a long term history of anxiety and depression and I have been on antidepressant for years.
So my first Kava experience was last Thursday evening at home, I've followed the guidelines with 2 cups of water and 30mg of kava. I could definitely feel the anti-anxiety effect almost immediately and had quite a deep sleep. I felt ultra chilled! Then I made another batch on Friday evening with 40mg this time and 3 cups of water. The effect was much stronger. I was quite lethargic, unmotivated and lazy the following day.
Then last night I tried a second wash (I had kept the last kava in its bag in the freezer) with two cups of water. The effect were midler but still noticeable.
The problem I find is the brain fog lingering for over a day, and also the anhedonia. It seems to dull any spark or enthusiasm in me. Things like going to the gym for a workout makes me feel quite good and I can feel the endorphins after. But my kava session seems to have completely removed that pleasurable effect of post-workout. Today at work I'm struggling a bit, I feel like I have no emotions. I'm hoping this might be only because I'm new to it as I really enjoyed my sessions and find it incredibly effective for the restlessness I usually get in the evenings. I would usually reach for a few glasses of wines but I find the kava effect much more relaxing.
✌

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Hello everyone, I'm very new to Kava. I'm not too sure what, about 2 weeks ago, got me looking up about kava and ordering a 250g of Vanuatu Noble (243516) to try. I think Kava found me!
I had heard about kava before but never had a particular interest in trying it. I do have a long term history of anxiety and depression and I have been on antidepressant for years.
So my first Kava experience was last Thursday evening at home, I've followed the guidelines with 2 cups of water and 30mg of kava. I could definitely feel the anti-anxiety effect almost immediately and had quite a deep sleep. I felt ultra chilled! Then I made another batch on Friday evening with 40mg this time and 3 cups of water. The effect was much stronger. I was quite lethargic, unmotivated and lazy the following day.
Then last night I tried a second wash (I had kept the last kava in its bag in the freezer) with two cups of water. The effect were midler but still noticeable.
The problem I find is the brain fog lingering for over a day, and also the anhedonia. It seems to dull any spark or enthusiasm in me. Things like going to the gym for a workout makes me feel quite good and I can feel the endorphins after. But my kava session seems to have completely removed that pleasurable effect of post-workout. Today at work I'm struggling a bit, I feel like I have no emotions. I'm hoping this might be only because I'm new to it as I really enjoyed my sessions and find it incredibly effective for the restlessness I usually get in the evenings. I would usually reach for a few glasses of wines but I find the kava effect much more relaxing.
✌
Hi, welcome.
I'm glad you have met this fantastic plant.
Some people experience the side effects you have mentioned. I have never had them. I drink 15-20g per session and that is fine for me. Maybe such amounts will also be good for you? 24 is a heavy chemotype. You can also try some balanced and heady kava. Maybe there will be no side effect in such case, or it will be slighter.

Last edited:

Catlady

Kava Curious
Hi, welcome.
I'm glad you have met this fantastic plant.
Some people experience the side effects you have mentioned. I have never had them. I drink 15-20g per session and that is fine for me. Maybe such amounts will also be good for you? 24 is a heavy chemotype. You can also try some balanced and heady kava. Maybe there will be no side effect in such case, or it will be slighter.
@Szafirek, Thanks for your message :) I have ordered a headier Kava to sample from Kava Society NZ. The single cultivar Kelai 421365. I will also try with no more than 15g . I turned into a mollusc after my second session, I think I might have had a reverse tolerance too.
I really hope I can find my perfect kind and dosage, the calming and soothing effect of Kava is very therapeutic. There is nothing else like it which is non-addictive. A cup of chamomile tea isn't quite the same lol.
I can't wait to try the new samples I have ordered: Kelai and Palarasul. :cool:

Szafirek

Kava Curious
@Szafirek, Thanks for your message :) I have ordered a headier Kava to sample from Kava Society NZ. The single cultivar Kelai 421365. I will also try with no more than 15g . I turned into a mollusc after my second session, I think I might have had a reverse tolerance too.
I really hope I can find my perfect kind and dosage, the calming and soothing effect of Kava is very therapeutic. There is nothing else like it which is non-addictive. A cup of chamomile tea isn't quite the same lol.
I can't wait to try the new samples I have ordered: Kelai and Palarasul. :cool:
Hope you can drink kava without any side effects.
Nice purchase :)
Kelai is very heady. I often blend the most heady kavas with some balanced.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Nice to hear Kava is helping you ease some restleness. It does the same for me.

My suggestions are to:

Drink lots of water

Take it slow. Kava doesn't really work in the way that the more you take, the more relaxed you feel. Well, sometime it does, but sometimes it doesn't

Try different types. The negative effects could just be due to the kava you are drinking. In my experience, some kava works with me and some doesnt. Experiment and learn the different types of kava available. Chances are if you are looking for a happy medium you might want something more "balanced"

Catlady

Kava Curious
Nice to hear Kava is helping you ease some restleness. It does the same for me.

My suggestions are to:

Drink lots of water

Take it slow. Kava doesn't really work in the way that the more you take, the more relaxed you feel. Well, sometime it does, but sometimes it doesn't

Try different types. The negative effects could just be due to the kava you are drinking. In my experience, some kava works with me and some doesnt. Experiment and learn the different types of kava available. Chances are if you are looking for a happy medium you might want something more "balanced"
I have had a few more sessions with the same Vanuatu Kava, I'm still waiting from my other samples of Kelai and palarasul to arrive. It has been quite interesting, I have been playing around with dosage, 25g to 30g seems to work well. And drinking coconut water in between shells seems to really help with the lethargy and brain fog the day after.
I could sleep very well my first and second time but now I find more difficult to sleep. I'm not a good sleeper at best of times anyway.
Each time is always a little different .