What's new

Upset Stomach??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bftiedt

I have been adding some soy to my kava over the last week or so and I have noticed it seems to be upsetting my stomach a little. Anyone else have the is problem or have any suggestions? Thanks

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I use almond milk (unsweetened, usually) or coconut milk if i use anything besides water. Can't say for certain about soy but maybe you're finding you are sensitive to soy and have just been taking in more than usual so it's triggered a reaction.

Also, are you straining the kava at all or drinking the root stirred into the milk? I've noticed "toss 'n washing" unsettles my stomach a little or a lot depending on the kava used.

Maybe try using nothing but water for a while and see if anything changes for the better. Good luck!

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I've been having almost like a heartburn type thing going on after kava use ..anybody take anything before having some shells to prevent this kinda feeling ?

infraredz

BULA!
Ginger, ginger and more ginger. I'm a vegetarian and I can't tolerate (physically) soy milk or almond milk in any way. For some reason, when added to kava, this just exponentially increased my nausea and culminated in one of the worst vomiting spells I've had from kava.

My advice is to just stop using soy milk or almond milk. There is no significant increase in potency from using an emulsifier, if that's why you are adding it.

If even normal kava gives you nausea, drink some real ginger-rich stuff (not mass-produced ginger ale which doesn't even have ginger in it). Hell, the most effective thing I've found has been to get ginger from the spice isle (powdered) and then just sprinkle less than teaspoon in a little bottle with some water and shake it and chug it (I used a medicine bottle).

D

Deactivated Account

I've been having almost like a heartburn type thing going on after kava use ..anybody take anything before having some shells to prevent this kinda feeling ?
I hook into any antacids about 30 mins prior if I'm getting heartburn. I like those chewable double strength mylanta's myself.

infraredz

BULA!
BTW, when I talk about ginger and "good" products I'm usually referring to these guys:
http://reedsinc.com/

Specifically Extra Strength Ginger Ale, Crystallized Ginger chews and this specifically mentions nausea (but I haven't personally tried it). You can find their stuff at health foods stores, but I've been been able to buy 4 online here for the price of 1 bottle in those stores. I guarantee that the extra strength ginger ale will kill any nausea by half-way through the bottle. It's seriously great stuff.

And of course, I wouldn't endorse it if there wasn't a reference to back it up :happy:
Here's a systematic review of ginger for nauasea and vomiting http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/84/3/367.long

Last edited:

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Im surprized that my method is worse on the upset stomach, simply from all the straining...haha
But everyones different.
Im always chasing it with ginger ale also

D

Deleted User01

Not even micronized Kava gives me an upset stomach. I hope you are pro-rating your shells over time. Like one every 10-20 minutes. But everyone of every ethnicity always says the same thing, ginger, ginger, ginger. Even my wife keeps Ginger Ale around the house to calm her stomach (she doesn't do Kava).

violet

Do all things with love
I think I'm the odd gal out, I haven't had luck with ginger myself, although I do have a theory for the frequent nausea I get that accompanies my kava sessions. I've had the best luck with spacing my shells out to every 40-60 minutes. Benadryl does help kava nausea for me also, best taken before a session begins.

Another nod here to Reed's Extra Ginger Brew, it is the best! I would love to see a sugar-free version, but until then I've found Hansen's diet ginger ale to be the closest acceptable substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.